• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Meaning of Ganondorf's Name...

I was thinking that it was kind of weird how Ganondorf's beast form is referred to as "Ganon". Then a thought occurred to me, what if "Ganon" is a word for "demon" or something (Ganon was originally made to be an allegory for Satan). "Ganondorf" might be a name that's derived from that word, meaning "demon slayer" or "demon lord". This would explain why they just call him "Ganon" when he becomes a monster, because that's what they call creatures like him.

An interesting aside is that this means that Ghirahim's master might be a "true ganon", one of the real demons that Ganondorf is named after.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
An interesting aside is that this means that Ghirahim's master might be a "true ganon", one of the real demons that Ganondorf is named after.

It would indeed be exhilarating to see a "demon" mightier than Ganon--an entity far more malevolent and sinister, some thing that would draw Ghirahim and his kind to him in awe rather than drive them away in fear. This "master" must be very impressive for them to even desire his revival.

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
Perhaps Ganondorf is a name passed down through Gerudo males? (this could make sense if there are more than one Ganondorf, as stated in the other thread).

Maybe Ganon was the name of an ancient demon (as mentioned in Four Swords Adventures), and was given to our main antagonist by the Gerudo with the suffix "dorf" which could be in all likelyhood "king" or "lord" as he was a rarity amongst his people, and did rule over them.

I was thinking that it was kind of weird how Ganondorf's beast form is referred to as "Ganon". Then a thought occurred to me, what if "Ganon" is a word for "demon" or something (Ganon was originally made to be an allegory for Satan). "Ganondorf" might be a name that's derived from that word, meaning "demon slayer" or "demon lord". This would explain why they just call him "Ganon" when he becomes a monster, because that's what they call creatures like him.

I am very interested on where you are going with this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom