• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Mask Man, the Mask Manipulator.

Hierarch7

~The Wolf~
Hello forum,
This thread, I'm trying to adress theories of one of the most mysterious, and possibly one of the most powerful characters known to the world of zelda. The happy mask shop man/ mask traveler in Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time. Where does he come from? What is his agenda? He holds one of the most powerful masks if not the most, Majora's Mask.

:triforce: please leave interesting comments/ Theories below :cool: :triforce:

B

bunny_hood

He is a creepy character. I don't know if he is evil though, I mean does he use Majora's Mask for evil? It is interesting that he is the only character in Termina other than Link to be aware of Skull Kids evil intentions.

What do you think on the matter?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I would say that the Mask Salesman is a good person. But, with his dialogue in OoT (Make everyone happy, or something of that sort), and then the fact that he has Majora's Mask (and Mario's Mask XD), I would say that he is evil. He could be crazy, dual-personality, or anything else like that. HOW did he acquire Majora's Mask, and what was his purpose of doing so? After MM ended, what did he do, besides "vanish"?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I just think he's an honest, serious collector. He probably gets most of his masks by helping troubled people, same way Link does. The MM of course would be an exception; it's just a legendary mask that he felt he needed for his collection (a dumb thing to do, admittedly).

Pinecove

Last Chance
Eh. Most likely, he's just a crazy mask collector.
But I've always liked to think of him as evil. :P

I forget though, does he disappear in the ending of MM?

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
I doubt he's evil. Just a crazy mask enthusiast who happens to stumble upon the most destructive and evil mask ever made.
I bet if he didn't get robbed by the Skull Kid that day, he'd probably lock it up in some heavy duty safe or put it in an impenetrable glass case. He knows its history and its terrible power, and he has absolutely no intention of using it to gain/destroy anything and doesn't want anyone else to be tempted to use it.

What I thought he wanted it for is that he was going to use it to revive the non-canonical beast that is in the manga. I read the manga first. In the end of the manga. They have an extra story of a beast that ate everyone who ventured passed him and try to steal his armor which had super magical properties. One day a swordsman came along. (Know it is not link and it is not in any zelda game.) Te beast thought he would try to steal his armor. But the swordsman's wit tricked the beast to dance to his death. When he died, the beast just disapeared. (King of like the mask salesman.) After, the swordsman carved the armor into a mask and dropped it off a cliff. (This was at the beggining of time and the mask was Majora's Mask.) I thought that the armor is what kept the beast alive. I thought the happy mask salesman was the reincarnation of the beast who finally found the mask after searching for eternity, but lost it. This was espicialy supported by his demonic reaction in OoT when you could not pay. In the end you gave the mask to the salesman who could use it in a ritual to return into his beast form. But I soon found this theory to be invalid. So why did I mention it? Because I was bored. =P

B

bunny_hood

That would of been cool though. Imagine if the last boss in Majora's Mask was the mask salesman. :D

The HMS always had that weird air to him that he knew exactly what was going on and how it would turn out. Like he was the spectator of a game of chess and already knew exactly what every single move would be and what the result was. This is the main aspect of him that makes him so interesting to me; he's just plain impossible to read. I really didn't care about him in OoT, he seemed like another sidequest NPC to me, with no real value other than that.
But then you get to MM, which had him as a major character. I always wondered why he was wondering the Lost Woods that day, knowing that he had a mask of incredible destructive power. Personally, I think he was heading back to Termina, since he seems to be the ONLY one aware of both the worlds and is able to travel across them freely. Then he's so carefree when the mask gets stolen, it kind of like he PLANNED it like that......

All speculation of course, but that's all you can possibly do with the character. I guess you could follow the manga, which portrays him as evil for the most part, but I always thought of him as the ultimate third party; not good or evil, doing what he wants when he wants just because he has the power to, something that no one else does.

Beeker

Wild Card
I kinda think the opposite of you Rishian. Though I do agree with you on the part that he is rather creepy. But then again, that's what I like about him. He has such a mysterious air to him and it makes us wonder who exactly he is or what his motives are. But I don't think he is an evil man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom