• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild The Legend of Zelda: Shard of Nightmare

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
A few days ago, there was a supposedly leaked image of a document showing the games being shown at E3. One of the games for the wii U was ''The Legend of Zelda: Shard of nightmare''. Like with the lead up to the release of all new zelda titles there are rumours associated with the upcoming releases. Often these turn out to be fake. With Skyward sword however, there was a mobile phone image that leaked concept art for the game. Now this time around there is also a ''leaked'' image.
10325770_10152041979736447_5874927348904545562_n__large.jpg
I rather like the look of that. It suggests a game with a darker edgier tone. Just like the kind I want to see. However I find it hard to believe the image can be genuine.

What do you think about this LOZ: SON rumour. Do you think it is believable? Would you want that to be the title, and what do you think of the image?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'm very sceptical at the moment just because it's not like Nintendo to leak things especially something as big as the next big Zelda title.

I guess the main thing that make me doubt this is legit is the name; it seems like a fan name in some aspects. A big proportion of the fanbase want a darker game and this title seems to imply that. Also the whole "Shard" thing could easily be a reference to the Triforce as in a fragment of it. Since a lot of fans so badly believe in this whole "Tertafroce" "Dark Triforce" thing, it seems like too much of a coincidence for it be in the title.

So to me at least it seems like a fanfic title, but you never know it could easily be legit it's just that, at the moment, I really do doubt it.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I heard about this too...

I'm quite skeptical about this as well. I mean, remember the MM 3D 'trailer'? That thing looked great and yet it was still fake. It wouldn't be that hard for someone to whip up that title screen. That being said, I suppose it could be legit. And if it is, I really hope the game will have more colour than what's shown on the supposed title screen.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
That looks likes like it could've easily been photoshopped by anyone. I mean, just look:

Leak_error_flaw_obvious_hoax.png~original

Notice how the "S" is overlapping the "Z"? This is obviously a hoax. Nintendo, due to them being pros, I doubt that they would leave a mistake like that. Trust me, I know from experience with making fan titles for my fan works and whatnot.

Plus the background looks like something I wouldn't expect to see of any official Zelda game.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
It wouldn't be that hard for someone to whip up that title screen.
I think the art would be quite difficult to whip up in just a few days. Unless the artist started the rumour themselves where they could have had more time to create that background. Some effort has clearly gone into it. For me, that is something suggesting it could be legit.
I wouldn't get hopes too high though.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
That looks likes like it could've easily been photoshopped by anyone. I mean, just look:

Leak_error_flaw_obvious_hoax.png~original

Notice how the "S" is overlapping the "Z"? This is obviously a hoax. Nintendo, due to them being pros, I doubt that they would leave a mistake like. Trust me, I know from experience with making fan titles for my fan works and whatnot.

Plus the background looks like something I wouldn't expect to see of any official Zelda game.

Yeah because overlapping text has never ever been done before by anyone. Admittedly, two phone pictures of concept art for consecutive console releases sounds a bit fishy.

I thought it was fairly obvious that the "leaked" E3 list was a hoax. Who really has a master document like that? And Mario Kart is going to be released before E3, so why would it have a presence.... People have made some really legit looking things before. Anyone remember that Majora's Mask remake trailer that was fake? That thing looked SO amazing; I totally believed that it was real, just because whoever made it did such a fantastic job capturing what I think the atmosphere and mood of MM is. Point being, it's more likely than not that this is just some guy with photoshop and too much time on his hands.

That being said, I'm absolutely all for another darker incarnation of the Zelda series. I wouldn't mind in the slightest if there's some bit of truth to this, but I seriously doubt it. I'm honestly expecting another SS-esque entry which will probably disappoint me a good deal.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
That being said, I'm absolutely all for another darker incarnation of the Zelda series. I wouldn't mind in the slightest if there's some bit of truth to this, but I seriously doubt it. I'm honestly expecting another SS-esque entry which will probably disappoint me a good deal.

I'd honestly prefer to get another SS-esque game to a blandly-coloured game that opts to shove how 'dark' and 'edgy' it is down your throat by sucking out all charm and colour from the graphics. This title screen honestly makes it look like it would be that kind of game, which is why I almost hope that this is a hoax. Or on the chance that it isn't, that the whole game doesn't look like that.

Mangachick14 said:
I'd honestly prefer to get another SS-esque game to a blandly-coloured game that opts to shove how 'dark' and 'edgy' it is down your throat by sucking out all charm and colour from the graphics. This title screen honestly makes it look like it would be that kind of game, which is why I almost hope that this is a hoax. Or on the chance that it isn't, that the whole game doesn't look like that.

There’s a common misconception that 1.) Alleged “dark” and “edgy” moods and atmospheres are inherently bad, 2.) That those type of art styles must automatically be boring because they don’t have bright colors, and 3.) That we should arbitrarily assign a graphic presentation to be a universal constant when we like it over others.

Games have proven, time and time again, that supposedly “dark” and “edgy” art styles can still express an incredibly powerful mood and atmosphere. Everyone jumps on TP, but this is a short-sided view as many of the environments were incredibly varied, some of which the Zelda series had never seen before. A snow-covered mountain, a beautiful lake with beautiful water, and a fiery volcano that looks like a volcano-red and brown. People often think that the forest section is all there is to TP, and this couldn’t be further from the truth. However, that’s just an example from the Zelda series. You can’t tell me with a straight face that games such as Skyrim and Shadow of the Colossus don’t do an amazing job with their presentations and moods with graphic styles that you deem to be “dark” and “edgy”. Again, just because there’s not hot-pink and purple bursting out from the seams everywhere doesn’t mean it’s “boring”.

We’ve had four games in a row with a bright, colorful presentation behind it. There’s precedence for a darker style, and it’s time we got another one.

Also, when I say “dark”, I don’t exclusively mean the colors. I mean exactly what I mentioned above; a different tone that expresses different emotion. I’ve had quite enough of the rainbow happy blast we’ve been getting lately. That’s my opinion, at least.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think that's a rather blanket statement that isn't necessarily true. A lot of the people who oppose a darker game simply think dark means "bland" or "colourless" that--like Vergo said--is a misconception. A darker game doesn't just relate to colour scheme it's the whole tone and feeling of the game: character traits, storytelling, cut scenes etc. Colour scheme is a vital component to putting this all together though, as you need darker shades to create that erry atmosphere. The Twilight Realm for example, they went down the route of removing all bright colours from the world of light in order to create this dark counterpart and it created this intense, almost frightening, atmosphere. It's hard to really create that with a brighter, more out there visual style like we saw in Skyward Sword and The Wind Waker. Said games had those darker moments for sure, but they don't create the same feeling/vibe that darker games like Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess seem to do effortlessly.

I just don't see the complains of a darker game drowning out the charm that usually comes with a Zelda game. The charm doesn't rely on over stylistic graphics in my eyes; it certainly helps create a more light hearted tone, but I thought TP--a more realistic, darker toned game--maintained the charm while doing something different. I guess it could have done with a slightly brighter colour scheme to give the game some variety in places, but I thought the visuals really gave that version of Hyrule a more threatening and isolated feel, as if a tragic event happened sometime before the game began.

For me though, I think we deserve a so called "darker" game in some respects. The last one we got was nearly 10 years ago now and it seems to be a common fan want. However, that doesn't mean it will be drastically different with no charm; it just means we'll be able to enjoy it in a new light so to say.

Last edited:

Garo

Boy Wonder
I doubt this is real, in truth; what reason is there for the photo to be tilted, exactly? It seems really unnecessarily pushing some sort of cloak-and-dagger "THIS IS TOP SECRET I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO SHOW THIS I'M GONNA SNAP A QUICK PICTURE" when that isn't even remotely necessary for anyone with actual insider info to share.

That said, I'd welcome a "darker" game in the sense of one that tackles some darker stuff. Let's get Zelda back to the Majora's Mask realm of dealing with some heavy stuff, like the way that human beings deal with death and their own mortality. Nothing the series has done has been quite that heavy since, and I'd welcome that with arms so open that they're almost closed again (it's like one of those weird 370-degree angle situations so it looks like a 10-degree angle!).

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'm with JC in that this feels like some kind of fanfic title. 'Shard of Nightmare'. Sounds pretty cheesy to me. So if it is a hoax, good. If it isn't a hoax, well, it's not like the name of something sways my decision at all in any meaningful way and I'd still be super excited for it, I already am excited for the next console Zelda, but it's not a name that immediately floats my boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom