• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time The Kokiri: Nice Kids or Twisted Maniacs?

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
I don't know about you guys, but I think they made the Kokiri people(children) a little creepy....

I must admit though, when I first played through the game who-knows-when-I was like 9 or 10 or something-, I didn't think anything of it. I'll break this down, explaining what I mean.

First I'll talk about Saria:
120px-SariaWave.png

Cute little girl with a big smile, nothing creepy right? I wish.

One of her most....unusual tricks is appearing out of nowhere, saying how she always knew that Link was different, yada yada. Then afterwards she stares after him with a weird expression.

The next incident is what she says after Link helps her awaken as the Sage of Forest, talking to Link as if he's a stranger then all of a sudden she says "but I know you" and says some other stuff in the Chamber of Sages. Seriously, if a close friend of yours was acting this weird wouldn't it creep you out a little?

Oh my goodness....Need I bring up that messed up gal from the Biggoron Sword trade sequence(The one on the left)?
Kokiri.png

Standing there laughing, saying that if you remain in the Lost Woods for too long, you'll become a Stalfos(or a skull kid if you're a kid). I don't think a kind-hearted(and not to mention sane) person would take joy from people transforming into hideous monsters...."I wonder....will you....too?" Yeah.....I just want to smack that creepy 64-bit smile off her face.

Doesn't it seem somewhat of a stereotype in different forms of recreational media(including gaming) to make child-only communities make the inhabitants freaky? Children are supposed to have pure hearts and minds....not creepy little things.

Mido could be a candidate, but he acts like a normal, spastic little boy if you ask me.

What are your thoughts on the Kokiri? What did you first think about them? I understand that recalling such feelings could seem next to impossible considering the game was released in 1998, but try your best =P.

Djinn

and Tonic
I think what makes them odd to the observer is the assumption that they really are children but do not act like them. The Kokiri are not actually children, they are not even Hylian. But they resemble them so much that it is hard not to assume that they would act exactly as Hylian children would.

It is mostly believed that the Hylian children look might not even be their natural form but one that they are taking at the time in OoT. They are normally referred to as spirits of the forest.
"Oh, you have a fairy now?! That's great, Link! What? You've been called by the Great Deku Tree? What an honor! He may give you a special gift! Tee hee! That's because the Great Deku Tree is our father, the forest guardian, and he gave life to all of us Kokiri!"

There is definitely an otherworldness to them in their appearance and of what they speak of. They are the only character models in the game that disappear from view much sooner than all other characters. Possibly a reference to their nature as spirits of the forest. And are referred to as the children of the Deku Tree, sometimes creations of the Deku Tree.

That's because the Great Deku
Tree is our father, the forest
guardian, and he gave life to all
of us Kokiri!

I wonder if the Great Deku Tree
gave life to everything in the
forest, I mean in addition to us
Kokiri?

"Great! You're safe! I knew I would hear from you again! I'm in the Forest Temple ! The forest spirits were calling for help, so I went to check it out... But it's full of evil monsters! Help me, Link!"

Saria hears spirits much like the way Navi hears Spirits whispering in the spirit temple later. The Kokiri also seem to have a special relationship with the fairies of the forest as well, each having a personal guardian fairy.

So if you are to assume they are essentially children that live in their own special community in the forest they might just come off as creepy and strange. But when you understand that they are not children at all but beings made by the Deku Tree that just closely resemble Hylian children they might not be all that strange at all.

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
That may be Djinn, but that one Kokiri girl laughing about that chicken lady's brother being turned into a Stalfos is kind of odd.

Could it be that she takes pride of what the power of the forest can do? Or is she just a weird child/spirit?

The thing that highly resembles children is their attitude towards Adults. They are just spirits of the Forest, so why would they act so weird(and sometimes even hostile) towards adults?

It's these two points that keep me thinking that they are creepy children, even if they are spirits. Any thoughts?

Djinn

and Tonic
That may be Djinn, but that one Kokiri girl laughing about that chicken lady's brother being turned into a Stalfos is kind of odd.

Could it be that she takes pride of what the power of the forest can do? Or is she just a weird child/spirit?

The thing that highly resembles children is their attitude towards Adults. They are just spirits of the Forest, so why would they act so weird(and sometimes even hostile) towards adults?

It's these two points that keep me thinking that they are creepy children, even if they are spirits. Any thoughts?

That is true but remember, they are not Hylians. Which means that they do not think like Hylians, they are another species. And something that seems distasteful to one might not to another. They come from a world that does not have traditional things like families or adults. So they might not recognize that their emotions are distasteful to other people. They live essentially in the wilderness. And few areas are as cruel as the open wilderness. Stalfos are a normal part of their world and they are fully aware of what happens when people wonder into the lost woods. While outsiders might be surprised and terrified, the Kokiri are jaded from seeing that sort of thing all too often. While they themselves live under the protection of the Great Deku Tree.

Which means that they do not think like Hylians, they are another species. And something that seems distasteful to one might not to another.

Exactly. They're not "human" and they don't have the same ideas about right/wrong or good/evil. Luckily for us, they are on the same "side" as Link as far as good and evil. But in other things, such as being turned into a Stalfos, their perception would be completely different. It's a bad thing to a human/Hylian, but either neutral or maybe even good to a Kokiri. Maybe, in their view, a Stalfos is a more powerful and less fragile creature - harder to kill. So perhaps to them, becoming a Stalfos is like upgrading your heart containers. ;)

As for the strange way that Saria sometimes speaks to you, this could be attributed mainly to the shock of realizing she's a bloody Sage. I'd be talking weird too if I suddenly had supernatural powers and responsibilities.

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
That is true but remember, they are not Hylians. Which means that they do not think like Hylians, they are another species. And something that seems distasteful to one might not to another. They come from a world that does not have traditional things like families or adults. So they might not recognize that their emotions are distasteful to other people. They live essentially in the wilderness. And few areas are as cruel as the open wilderness. Stalfos are a normal part of their world and they are fully aware of what happens when people wonder into the lost woods. While outsiders might be surprised and terrified, the Kokiri are jaded from seeing that sort of thing all too often. While they themselves live under the protection of the Great Deku Tree.

Yes that makes perfect sense. People can be so different from another through past experiences.

Exactly. They're not "human" and they don't have the same ideas about right/wrong or good/evil. Luckily for us, they are on the same "side" as Link as far as good and evil. But in other things, such as being turned into a Stalfos, their perception would be completely different. It's a bad thing to a human/Hylian, but either neutral or maybe even good to a Kokiri. Maybe, in their view, a Stalfos is a more powerful and less fragile creature - harder to kill. So perhaps to them, becoming a Stalfos is like upgrading your heart containers.

Haha! That's a funny way to look at it =P.

Thanks for your posts guys, I guess to Kokiri aren't that creepy after all ;).

Pikacondon

Title.
I think kokiri are a bit twisted. Mido is more than a little of a jerk, saria is just strange, and one random kokiri HUMPED a rock instead of pulling or pushing it.(see Sneaking Crap past the radar) I think the kokiri aren't at all like children, but more like the enenies you should be fighting than sweet, innocent little kids.

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
I really don't think that the kokiri are twisted maniacs because they're kids that live in the forest, without "real" parents to take care of them, and a tree is their guardian. Do you expect them to know any manners or anything? No. The only possible reason that Saria could pop up out of nowhere is that she's a ninja. The only possible reason. And if she's not, I would just say forest magic... since kokiri are children of the forest... As for the other kokiri girl, (can't remember her name) she seems just to appeal to me as someone who jokes around a lot and doesn't takes things seriously, as most children do. As for Mido, I see him as just this brat who only cares for himself, not really "twisted" like some characters.

I'm sorry, I haven't played any Legend of Zelda game in a while, so forgive me if I forget or have any details wrong:sweat:

P

PiKn1ght314

I think that rather shows innocence rather than psychotic-ness from the Kokiri. Since they think on the same level as children (believing that leaving the forest means to die, an equivalent to normal children believing in the Bogeyman), they might think as long as it doesn't pertain to them or nothing of that nature will hurt them, they might not think of it as much. They're protected by the Great Deku Tree, and nothing like that will ever happen to them, so they probably don't understand it but accept it as a normal fact of life. There's a lot they may not understand. They are not truly children, but they act in the same manner as them many times. But that's just what I think; I could be wrong. :)

^ It is okay, it is mostly our interpretation more than facts what we're coming across here, so i don't think we are wrong or right with our opinions.

For me, I actually thought as well that was part of their children-like traits, I mean, I've met kids that are fascinated and don't comprehend the extension of some things, for example a house set on fire. Thy could make things 'adults' consider inappropriate, including laughing, just like that Kokiri Kirl did while commenting with some sort of creepy excitement on her curiosity on your destiny. I agree that they have little guide, specially without contact with other races, so it is no surprise they are different among them.

Saria, I don't know, she had strong feelings for Link and she had the ability to communicate (telepathically?) with him, thanks to the forest spirits powered by her song in Link's Ocarina. She also claimed early in the game to know he was different from the rest, which is confirmed by the revelation of link's race; as Saria already had put pieces together she might not be so surprised to know the person that rescued her, that adult, was his friend; I've assumed her change of attitude because Link tries to explain (probably the seven years off absence and his stature) and Saria cuts his voice with her own explanation. That is how I see that part, so it never came across as creepy.

So I guess both things at once. they can be nice but also come out spontaneously and unexpected, just like other kids.

MrLuigi

Theorist
The Gorons and Zoras, know right from wrong, different race altogether.

I'm convinced that the Kokiris are psychos now. I can't wait to go fly swat one of their fairies and see them turn into a Stalfo.

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
I'm convinced that the Kokiris are psychos now. I can't wait to go fly swat one of their fairies and see them turn into a Stalfo.

Lol! Just had to say that your comment made me laugh XD.

@Kaynil, yeah I see what you mean. That does make sense as far as Saria goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom