• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

MM-3DS The Inverted Song of Time - Was It Overkill?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
There's a thread regarding the time constraints within Majora's Mask and how they have a negative affect on the game because you're alway under the time limit; however I'd have to disagree with this and I'll explain why.

So I think it was around 2 years ago, when I first joined here, when I properly through MM, so basically a blind playthrough. I heard so much about this game being on a different echelon when it came to challenge especially due to the concept of time acting as a limitation. Initially this put me off the game, but when I actually played through the game I realised that these were just words, I never had problems with time, in fact it was the saving I had biggest problems with but that's another story.

Less of me blabbing on, my point is that I actually think that time didn't really limit me in any way. I always had time to do what I wanted to do, whether it be a dungeon/side quest. As referenced in the thread title, this was solely be of the Inverted Song of a Time which slowed time down 3x. So I was thinking how would the game work without the song and how time management would actually be incredibly vital to the point where one mistake costs you everything.

I actually have two questions here that I like to be discussed because they're slightly different:

1. Would you have rathered the song not be in the game period?
2. If the game is remade, should this be an option for Master Quest/Hero Mode?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
1) The game was reasonably hard with the song. I needed to use it. I must have been 6ish when I played for the first time and not having the song might have put some players off.
2) Yes they should, the people that buy the remake will be mainly the people who played originally and will be familiar with the game, so they might like the added challenge.

youpster900

Pottery=Mortal Enemy!
1) Nintendo did good putting that song , but you can still play without using it for a challenge.
2) I agree... If we get a remake (MAKE IT HAPPEN NINTENDO!)

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I certainly think it was a nice touch to help keep the game fun and marketable. I mean in the original Japanese release I heard you couldn't even save at specific times, but you rather had to start the cycle over again EVERY time you turned the game on.

I guess it could be a nice Hero Mode Addition. Although it's completely optional to start with, it is nice to eliminate the temptation. Who knows though, maybe time will automatically be slowed down, in a remake, and the inverted song is what speeds up time for extra challenge? I'd hate that, but it's something I could see them doing.

I actually quite like the song of inverted time, but it's not to say that it's not a bit too helpful I suppose
for Master Quest I think it should not be in there, as Master Quest is a chance for the player to test their limits and really prove how good they are at the game

I'm not entirely sure on this, but I seem to recall having beaten the game a couple of times without even knowing the song existed. I may be wrong in this, but I can recall my brother finding the song from the Scarecrow one day and me going "derp."

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
1. The song was definatly a vital part of making the game easier, without it the game would probably be a lot harder, honestly when I first played the game I didn't even know about the inverted song of time, so I was trying to play the game without it, and I actually got pretty far, but getting through the game was a hassle that way, especially considering how young I was. Once I found out about the inverted song of time things ran a lot smoother for me from there on. So, yes, I think without the inverted song of time a lot of people would get put off, I know for awhile I did until my cousin told me about the song, but once I found out about the song and beat the game I was glad I didn't just quit playing the game.

2. Yes a hero mode or master quest option in a remake, if there is a remake, would be really cool, but unfortunatly I don't think many people would put time towards beating the game that way.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I didn't need the song to stop the moon from falling, I needed it to do other things like make sure I can save the gorons, beat the temple, and have time for goron racing.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Less of me blabbing on, my point is that I actually think that time didn't really limit me in any way. I always had time to do what I wanted to do, whether it be a dungeon/side quest. As referenced in the thread title, this was solely be of the Inverted Song of a Time which slowed time down 3x.
I really do have to nitpick here.... it's not 3x. During the original three-day cycle, each game hour takes exactly 27 real world seconds. All subsequent cycles take 45 real world seconds per game hour. And a game hour takes 150 real world seconds when you slow it down with the song. That's 10/3, or 3.333... So it was a bit off at 3x when it's actually a bit more than that. The amount of time in real seconds per game hour is also the number of real minutes it takes from a cycle to get from dawn of the first day, to the final night.

I actually have two questions here that I like to be discussed because they're slightly different:

1. Would you have rathered the song not be in the game period?
2. If the game is remade, should this be an option for Master Quest/Hero Mode?
Anything in the original version should be in the remake, no questions asked.

The Inverted Song of Time was absolutely needed for a 6 Day Run. So no, it was not overkill. I don't think removing it from the Master Quest mode (if it will be there) would be good either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom