• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

the impact of an original handheld 3d title

Pretend the 3ds will ever see this happen....

What do you think the impact of an original handheld 3d Zelda would be like?

Ocarina and majora both play beautifully on the 3ds and its sorely needing an original 3d Zelda title (we all are).

But if we got one it'd obviously be compared to oot3d and mm3d and of course the home console titles.

But would this be a good thing?

Would it take away from the spectacle of a home console game? Would Nintendo cheapen Zelda if an original 3d handheld title were to exist?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Pretend the 3ds will ever see this happen....

What do you think the impact of an original handheld 3d Zelda would be like?

Ocarina and majora both play beautifully on the 3ds and its sorely needing an original 3d Zelda title (we all are).

But if we got one it'd obviously be compared to oot3d and mm3d and of course the home console titles.

But would this be a good thing?

Would it take away from the spectacle of a home console game? Would Nintendo cheapen Zelda if an original 3d handheld title were to exist?

They cant cheapen the series much more than putting a game where link dresses up in princess outfits into the canon.

An original 3D Zelda for 3DS should happen. MM and OOT 3D have shown the 3DS capable of such titles, it would make sense for them to make more. They might not be as big as the main home console games but OOT and MM are small by modern standards anyway. Having smaller 3D games like those on the handheld would do the world of good.

I don't know about that. I think I'd feel much the same way I felt about OOT 3D and MM 3D - I liked both of these, but kept wishing I could play them on my Wii U instead. I think something that caters to the handheld the way ALBW does (play for ten minutes while waiting for the bus and you've already made some progress) would work much better on the 3DS. Keep the big 3D games on the home consoles.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I think it is very plausible that this may happen for Zelda's thirtieth Anniversary. I do believe Grezzo would be in charge of this, but I think it is very possible considering that they had 2 teams working on MM3D, and Triforce Heroes respectively. Plus they already have an even better engine due to MM3D. I very much believe they could create another title to go along with OoT and MM, easily. That would give them around 2 years of development time from finishing MM3D to the latter half of Zelda's 30th anniversary.

I think it is very plausible that this may happen for Zelda's thirtieth Anniversary. I do believe Grezzo would be in charge of this, but I think it is very possible considering that they had 2 teams working on MM3D, and Triforce Heroes respectively. Plus they already have an even better engine due to MM3D. I very much believe they could create another title to go along with OoT and MM, easily. That would give them around 2 years of development time from finishing MM3D to the latter half of Zelda's 30th anniversary.

One would hope.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I originally wanted an original 3D Zelda game for the 3DS, but I'm glad we got A Link Between Worlds instead. The game caught everyone by surprise, and it's the closest the series has comes to its roots in years with no companion that holds your hand or nags you constantly and some truly clever puzzles making use of the wall merging mechanic. While I doubt we'll get an original 3D adventure for the 3DS so late in its lifespan, my original idea was a sequel to Majora's Mask. I knew Nintendo would remake Majora's Mask on 3DS eventually, so I thought it made sense to return to the Child Timeline for a third time after both new and old players experienced a fresh perspective on two of the greatest games ever made. I think a lot of fans have been waiting for a full-fledged portable 3D Zelda game of some kind, so they'll just have to wait a bit longer. There are no doubt a lot of expectations associated with such a title.

This would be great and would make my day because a 3DS is currently the only Nintendo console that I own.

I mean ALBW was awesome and having the freedom to take OoT and MM on the go was a dream come true. So really, why not? With a good save system it could be both better and more accessible for people

I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet. I would think making OoT and MM for the 3ds means there's already some sort of game engine left over from those ports. It seems to me that most of the "heavy lifting" programming would be done.

Nintendo seems very focused on the role of console vs. handheld, and I think they'll continue to see "open 3D game" as belonging mostly to consoles, where a player can sit down, look at a large screen, and immerse himself in the game for long periods at a time. I don't think they'll do this because iirc they see handhelds as fitting for games that play "pick it up for a bit, put it down for a bit, and pick it up for a bit again."

If they did make an original 3D game and put it on a handheld, I would wonder whether they were leaving consoles behind and focusing their energies on handhelds for all. I don't think this would cheapen Zelda, just raise questions over what changes Nintendo's thinking of making.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom