• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler The Happy Mask Salesman- The Dark Tribe Remnant

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
The Happy Mask Salesman is a guy that everybody loves just because he is a fun character to watch. However, behind that never-ending smile of his is a person with a very dark genealogy. I believe that he, The Happy Mask Salesman is a remnant of the Dark Tribe spoken of in Twilight Princess.

I'm getting ahead of myself, lets take this bit by bit. The first thing that I want to bring up is Majora's Mask. We can all agree that Majora is a very troubled fellow who has had some....difficulties in the past. I want you to take a look at this clip taken from the beginning of Majora's Mask(Try very hard to tune out Barney in the backround):

Notice how the Skull Kid is his own person, not being controlled. Right now, he is just a Skull Kid wearing a plain, old mask in the Lost Woods of Hyrule Kingdom. Take a look at this now:

I'll refer to this video as "Video 2" for future reference. Notice how Majora's Mask is now active and has taken full control over the Skull Kid. Why is this? I believe, that Majora's Mask only has power in Termina. More on this later.

Ok, so far I have shown you you the difference in the behavior of Majora's Mask in Hyrule and Termina. Now onto the Happy Mask Salesman.

Please refer back to video 2. I show Link cutting grass around the area. Notice how the grass moves when I cut it after Link goes through the first tunnel where the "portal" is at 0:38 seconds and in Termina 3:50 seconds. I will talk about this later so keep this in mind! Here is another area where the grass moves further down the "rabbit hole":

And finally, here is the first meeting of the Happy Mask Salesman:

"Now don't think me rude, but I have been following you..." Really? Where? We haven't seen him at all before following us right? Wrong. We've seen him alright. Remember those moving patches grass? THAT was the Happy Mask Salesman.

Let me explain....

The first point that I want to make is that the Happy Mask Salesman is actually Terminian instead of Hylian. I get this notion from three sources.

The first being from Majora's Mask itself. As we have seen, Majora's Mask is awakened in Termina and not in Hyrule. The Happy Mask salesman knows a lot about Majora's Mask and what it was used for. So I think that we can establish that he has some kind of connection between him, his magic, and the "Dark Tribe" mentioned in his story about Majora's Mask. He went through "great lengths" searching for the mask, until one day he found it.

Early in the game we see a cutscene of how and where the Salesman was mugged and his mask stolen. It is in the Lost Woods. Why would he be in the Lost Woods? One would ask. Well, Majora's Mask was sealed away somewhere within Hyrule to ensure it's secrecy so that no one could discover it. After all, it's Magic doesn't work in Hyrule. So, the Salesman traveled far and wide in Termina but couldn't find it. And that's when he set up shop in Hyrule.

When you show the letter to the Kakariko guard, he tells you of a "shop that has recently opened up in town". Note the word, "recently". Being a man with great knowledge of masks and owns a vast amount himself, what a perfect disguise to use while searching for Majora's Mask! On a side note, when Link was an Adult, the Happy Mask Salesman was nowhere to be found in Kakariko Village taking refuge. Instead he is in Termina doing who knows what.

When the salesman finally found Majora's mask, we was on his way back to Termina. And that's when the Skull kid mugged him.

Now about how the salesman managed to follow Link without being seen. First I would like to point out that I think the salesman is a remnant of the "Dark Tribe" that used Majora's mask, and eventually sealed it away. I think this because of his unusual manner of dress along with his extraordinary magic abilities and knowledge. What magic abilities those might be, no one knows. But I think I figured it out.

The Happy Mask salesman knows the Song of Healing which transforms/heals evil magic and hurting souls into masks. This is how he gets most of his masks. But so what if you had the power to change such things into masks? The masks would just be a burden to most people. But the Dark tribe isn't "most people".

I believe that the Dark Tribe's magic revolved around masks. Creating masks with different abilities that they alone can harness to do many powerful things. Assuming this, the Happy Mask Salesman can too harness the power of masks for he is a remnant of the Dark Tribe. Going back to how he followed Link, I propose that he simply put on a Keaton's Mask which made him able to become invisible and do what Keatons can do. So, he followed Link while he was invisible.

Now lets move onto the Dark Tribe. This is the story of the Dark Tribe's involvement with Hyrule:

The Dark tribe was a tribe who wanted to rule over the Sacred Realm with the Triforce during the battle for the possession of the Sacred Realm. They used "great magic". Notice what their "great magic" is: A Mask. Looking at the details of the mask, it bears a striking resemblance to Majora's Mask. Proving that the Dark Tribe who fought against the Hylians is the same Dark tribe mentioned in Majora's Mask. Note how it states that the Dark tribe also dwelled within the realm of Light. It did not say where in the realm of Light, however. I believe, that the Dark tribe was also Terminian. And after hearing about the sacred Realm a war ensued over it, for Hyrule was also looking for it.

Fearing the Tribe's powers, the goddesses sent the Light Spirits to seal the great power away. Even though their power was sealed, the tribe was still there, powerless.

It is revealed by Midna that the Dark tribe was banished to the Twilight Realm using the Mirror of Twilight, ending the war over the Sacred Realm in Hyrule. And over time, the Dark Tribe came to be known as the Twili. Take note how the Twili has a very extensive use of masks. Zant, wears one, the Shadow Beasts he created also wear one, along with Midna with a part of the "great power" of the Dark Tribe, the Fused Shadow. As you can see, masks are still a very large part of their culture and magic, even as Twili.

So there it is. I think that the Happy Mask Salesman is the remnant of the Dark Tribe that was sealed away to the Twilight Realm during the war when the OoT Link was a baby. I think the Salesman wanted the mask because it served as an heirloom of some kind of his people that were banished some 7-8 years prior to OoT's beginning.

So what do you guys think about all of this?

NOTE: I can't shake this looming feeling that I have missed something so I may or may not add more later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
1st of all the patches of grass that move when Link cuts them are areas were the Keaton(a fox-like creature spawn from)
Everything else mentioned in your Thread I agree with.

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
1st of all the patches of grass that move when Link cuts them are areas were the Keaton(a fox-like creature spawn from)
Everything else mentioned in your Thread I agree with.

Hylian knight, I doubt you read my thread and allowed it to sink in. I only created this thread a couple minutes ago. Please read my whole thread before posting thanks.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Oh I read the rest after all I did say I agree with everything else in your Thread for you give a great amount of evidence supporting your theory.

It's just 1 little part because the Keaton makes Keatons spawn from hiding not give you the qualities of one. Unless you think because the HMS is a member of the "Dark Tribe" he can make the masks do different things than they do for normal people if so you should edit your Thread to better fit what I think you were implying.

Sasuke Uchiha

The Crimson Alchemist
I personally believe that the Dark Tribe were the new remnants of the Twilight Realm as shown in Twilight Princess, but who knows? Zant wore a mask. I personally believe that the children on the moon are future mask salesmen and that the mask salesman was just a moon child grown up. But still, their can be many theories about something that nintendo didn't just tell us flat out. But as for your theory, I thought it was very well written and could very well be possible.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Hmmm... It is really interesting what you have came up with. I believe though that the Happy Mask Salesman was actually tracking Skull Kid after he stole the mask, therefore after seeing that Link got robbed as well, he followed the hero instead. Of course in his mind, he probably knew that Link would want the OoT back, therefore the Happy Mask Salesman would have counted on Link to return the mask for him. Sorry if you do not understand my explanation; what mean is that he probably stumbled along Link as an accident.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
(Try very hard to tune out Barney in the backround):
background?
Notice how the Skull Kid is his own person, not being controlled. Right now, he is just a Skull Kid wearing a plain, old mask in the Lost Woods of Hyrule Kingdom. Take a look at this now: ... Notice how Majora's Mask is now active and has taken full control over the Skull Kid. Why is this? I believe, that Majora's Mask only has power in Termina. More on this later.
Interesting thought. Makes sense.
Remember those moving patches grass? THAT was the Happy Mask Salesman.
I got the impression that that had something to do with Keatons. There's also a patch in (North?) Clock Town, and probably several others. (pre-edit: I see this has already been discussed)
First I would like to point out that I think the salesman is a remnant of the "Dark Tribe" that used Majora's mask, and eventually sealed it away.
If the moon children are also part of the tribe then I would agree. Or I guess the personifications of the masks (boss remains+Majora) could have been modelled after those who used them (assuming the entire tribe looked like the HMS).
Going back to how he followed Link, I propose that he simply put on a Keaton's Mask which made him able to become invisible and do what Keatons can do. So, he followed Link while he was invisible.
I'd have to look at all the quotes about Keatons to give a definite response to this.
Notice what their "great magic" is: A Mask.
*helmet, if that
Looking at the details of the mask, it bears a striking resemblance to Majora's Mask.
Apart from the one eye, they look nothing alike. The fused shadow actually has no other eye (no, it's not just broken off. it wasn't even in the design), and it features variations of the Shiekah symbol. It is also described as a stone of crystallized shadows in the Japanese, which isn't consistent with implications that Majora's Mask is a container for a "terrible and evil power."
Proving that the Dark Tribe who fought against the Hylians is the same Dark tribe mentioned in Majora's Mask. Note how it states that the Dark tribe also dwelled within the realm of Light. It did not say where in the realm of Light, however. I believe, that the Dark tribe was also Terminian. And after hearing about the sacred Realm a war ensued over it, for Hyrule was also looking for it.
The evidence you presented hardly "proves" anything. It may "imply" or "lead to the assumption." I'm sure that's what you meant though.
You essentially contradict yourself in saying Majora's Mask has no power in Hyrule, and it is similar to the fused shadow, which does have power in Hyrule. Or maybe you could expand on the nature of their power.
Actually, the Japanese never mentions the realm of light. The interlopers arose "in the midst of the people." So you don't even have to argue that point.
The war was over control of Hyrule in the more canon Japanese version of the story, though the cutscene does imply that the Triforce was the object of desire (presumably to give the power to rule Hyrule, as was Ganon's goal). This isn't really all that important for your argument though, unless the JP can be shown to imply that the "rivalry" could only be among those living in Hyrule or that "the people" could only refer to them, neither of which I think can be easily done.
Take note how the Twili has a very extensive use of masks. Zant, wears one, the Shadow Beasts he created also wear one, along with Midna with a part of the "great power" of the Dark Tribe, the Fused Shadow. As you can see, masks are still a very large part of their culture and magic, even as Twili.
Aside from the fused shadow, all those masks you mentioned only appeared after Ganon came to power. Midna states that the people were turned into those masked beasts by Zant's new power, which he states to be from his god Ganon. These masks also aren't shown to have any magical properties.
So there it is. I think that the Happy Mask Salesman is the remnant of the Dark Tribe that was sealed away to the Twilight Realm during the war when the OoT Link was a baby. I think the Salesman wanted the mask because it served as an heirloom of some kind of his people that were banished some 7-8 years prior to OoT's beginning.
I don't think the goddesses themselves would have missed any individuals when they were chasing the tribe across "Sacred Realm Hyrule."

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
You essentially contradict yourself in saying Majora's Mask has no power in Hyrule, and it is similar to the fused shadow, which does have power in Hyrule. Or maybe you could expand on the nature of their power."

I knew someone sharp would find this =P. I actually have no idea or theory as to why Majora's Mask doesn't work in Hyrule while the fused shadow does. The main point that I wanted to make with relating these two items was that both Tribes mentioned in both games are one and the same. The true nature of their magic is still unknown so it's hard to say anything about it.

Apart from the one eye, they look nothing alike. The fused shadow actually has no other eye (no, it's not just broken off. it wasn't even in the design), and it features variations of the Shiekah symbol. It is also described as a stone of crystallized shadows in the Japanese, which isn't consistent with implications that Majora's Mask is a container for a "terrible and evil power.""

I again, wanted to point out the design that the used for both masks. Even having that one eye it still has the exact same design as Majora's Mask, indicating that it's the same tribe.

I don't think the goddesses themselves would have missed any individuals when they were chasing the tribe across "Sacred Realm Hyrule."

I know that the goddesses sent the light spirits to seal their magic away, but I can't recall anyone saying that the goddesses themselves sealed the tribe away, despite the "chasing" I don't even know what they mean by that. I always thought that the Hylians used the Mirror of Twilight to seal the tribe away in the Twilight realm.

But assuming that the goddesses did chase them across the Sacred Realm of Hyrule, and also assuming that the tribe is Terminian(As I say in the thread), the tribe could have tried to flee back to Termina. But whether or not Termina has a Sacred Realm or shares the same one with Hyrule no one knows.

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
聖地ハイラルを追われ神によって、ある場所に追いやられたのさ
Chased by the Gods across the Sacred Realm Hyrule, they were thrust aside to some place.
They were banished. They were chased across the sacred lands of Hyrule and driven into another realm by the goddesses.

そこは、日の光輝くハイラルとは 対極を成す もうひとつの世界
It was another world, the antithesis of Hyrule where the sunlight shines.
It was another world entirely... The antithesis of Hyrule, where the sun shines bright.

光とは 決して 交わることは できない 影と呼ばれる領域
Since that territory could never mingle with the light, it was referred to as Shadow.

Its denizens became shadows that could not mingle with the light.

そして、影の世界へ落とされた者達は 元の世界に戻ることは許されず・・・
And the people who were dumped into the Shadow World were not permitted to return to the original world…

Eventually, most came to call it the Twilight Realm, and from it, none could return to the world of light...

ハイラルの影として永遠に 陰りの中で生きるように なったそうだ・・・
They were forever doomed to live as shadows of Hyrule inmidst the gloom…

They were forever doomed to live in the twilight, flitting in the half-light of dusk, mere shadows of Hyrule...
NoJ implies that they were sealed by the Goddesses, and NoA outright states it.
神は、一族が元の世界に戻ることを禁じたが 光と影を繋ぐ鍵を 1つだけ残したという
Though the gods forbade the clan to return to the original world, they left one single key connecting light and shadow, as is told.
Though the goddesses forbade us to return to the world of light, they left one link between the light and the darkness.

それは陰りの鏡と呼ばれ ハイラルを守る者達に託したと・・・
Something called the Mirror of Gloom was entrusted to the protectors of Hyrule…

Something called the Mirror of Twilight was passed to the protectors of Hyrule…
The Mirror of Twilight was created by the goddesses and entrusted to the "protectors of Hyrule" (probably the Sages).

Overall, the story seems to imply that the entire clan was imprisoned. Sure, you can try saying things like the HMS stayed in Termina the whole time and therefore could not have been chased across Hyrule, but that's just lawyering the text to manipulate it against the obvious presented intent. According to Occam's razor, if "the tribe was imprisoned," then "the entire tribe was imprisoned."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom