• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Gibberish

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
(Im not sure if gibberish is spelled that way:bleh:)

Anyways, we know that in SS we are not (not sure still) that we are going to get voice acting. But would you like to get something like Midna's random gibbersih?

I mean...it could count as voice acting since you could make words out of it but no sense out of them.

So would you like gibberish or formal v. acting?

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
Personally, it takes some voice acting skills to make gibberish actually sound like some form of speech lol.

Personally(again lol), I think that the Zelda series is very special in the way that it doesn't need formal voice acting. There are actually three types of voice acting in games that I have come across:

1. The most straight-forward, everything-said voice acting. When the characters talk with real voices with little reading.
2. People say, "hi!" or "Help me!" or something to that effect when your first talk to them but it's up to you to read the rest.
3. grunts, moans, body language, and other audible sounds that helps paint a clearer picture about what's going on and what the character is feeling.

Zelda has always used number 3, and they have done a beautiful job. To Nintendo, they use it as an art rather than a "limitation" that most people would say. I would like the Zelda franchise to always use number 3 because it's like an unofficial Zelda staple and it's how people identify Zelda games.

I love how they did it in TP, especially with the "gibberish" with Midna. Telma and the fortune teller are other great examples. So for me, formal voice acting would not be the right thing for the Zelda franchise. :)

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I would never want formal voice acting for Zelda. I think the words come across better with text, and instead the character can convey only emotions with voice (like PoH's #3). This way it makes it sound less like a predefined movie script and gets the player more involved by forcing him to interpret and blend the NPCs' words with their emotions.

Midna's gibberish was okay, but I wouldn't want it to spread to every NPC in future games. It suited her just fine, but that's only because of the nature of her character (coming from a foreign realm and being/behaving overall strange).

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
Well, I personally like Midna's Gibberish very much. It makes her sound awesome and foreign.
However, Straight-up voice acting would not stick to Zelda as a Franchise. I don't think anyone wants Link labeled as, "That green dude with the weird high voice" Or "The green dude with the freaking voice". We just don't know if it could be done right, and if it was done wrong, it could ruin the tradition of the games.

Djinn

and Tonic
I have always assumed the weird grunts and mumbles were Nintendo's way of getting around the language barrier with their characters. Or else they would need multiple sets of voice actors depending on which country the game was released in. And not all actors are the same. A terrible voice actor could ruin the fun and replay of a title. Plus the noises let you know what their voice sounds like but leaves the rest to your imagination.

Also, I kind of wish Nintendo did the same with the Mario series. I was a little disappointed with the voice they chose for Mario. I was expecting more of a Brooklyn accent and less of a caricature of an Italian.

No, no. No formal voice acting. The thing I like about Zelda voice acting is that it doesn't mess with your imagination. Each person pictures a characters voice differently, and if Nintendo came in and added voice acting, everyones illusion would be shattered.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
IMO, Link himself should stay as he is and not speak, not even have his own text boxes (because of the imagination thing). But for the other characters, personally I'd be fine with either text-only or actual voice acting. I think the problem is, if they decided to give the other characters voices and let Link stay mute, it would feel a bit arkward in conversations when only one speaks.

I think gibberish sounds amazing in a zelda game... it would make it feel more like another world, and would fit it perfectly! (although, we would always find some actual words by accident like with midna) It would give it a fresh feeling to. But I don't really care to much... So I guess it would be safe just to keep every thing in bubbles. But I wouldn't mind gibberish!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom