• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler The Dialogue in SS

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Multiple dialogue choices...I have no knowledge of what that is. Even the article didn't seem to get to the point where I could understand it. Are they going to give us the choice of what sounds NPCs will make? That's a bit superfluous, if you asked me, but I doubt that's it. Can somebody make sense of this for me?

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Multiple dialogue choices...I have no knowledge of what that is. Even the article didn't seem to get to the point where I could understand it. Are they going to give us the choice of what sounds NPCs will make? That's a bit superfluous, if you asked me, but I doubt that's it. Can somebody make sense of this for me?
What it means is, I think, when you're talking to NPCs, it's not the same line over and over. You can actually HAVE a conversation with an NPC. And, from hat I read, I THINK there'll be different answers to the hings the NPCs say... I'm not too clear on that though so don't quote me...

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Basically, when Link gets asked a question, there will be different choices besides "Yes" and "No," or anything along those lines. We will now have three choices to choose from when talking with NPCs. Although they didn't specify what choices we will get, the article suggested that it might be "Good," "Neutral," or "Bad." In other words, a typical dialogue might go like this:

NPC: Could you please find my cat for me?

Link:
(Sure!) --- (I'll think about it.) --- (Go find it yourself!)

Of course, I doubt they would give Link such a, um, strong voice (for lack of a better term)... But that's basically what was apparently confirmed by a guy who played through two hours of the game.

Casey Baker (Destructoid Editor) said:
They're [Link and Zelda] old friends and teenagers, so their relationship is sorta antagonistic. You actually have three different dialogue options when talking to NPC's, and with her you can be just as smarmy.

Maybe if you say certain things like maybe if your talking to someone and they ask you to get them something out of a variety of items they need (they could need a sponge, or an apple) you say what item you will get them and that item results in a specific object that will help you upgrade one of your weapons. I think that would be interesting, but if you say something that alters the plot completely, well, I just don't think that would work in a Zelda game.

I dont think the plot would alter completely. But there could be something insignificant that changes dramatically. Such as when you didn't help people in majoras mask.

Pen

The game is on!
This sounds really interesting. I guess SS will make the Zelda franchise a little more like an RPG, maybe. But does the choice of a question change what happens in the plot, or does only the dialogue change?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
That sounds good. I always liked multiple dialogue choices in Fallout 3 Fable and Elder scrolls RPG's. It gives the player much more immersion into the game because the player then has the ability to act more like his/her self in the game.

F

foundthebigkey

While this would be really good, there is no video / images and I've not seen this reported anywhere else.
Sounds very much like unfounded rumour.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
It will probably the way the NPC's will talk to you, but I doubt it will be like fallout were it affects the whole game...

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
While this would be really good, there is no video / images and I've not seen this reported anywhere else.
Sounds very much like unfounded rumour.

I was a little skeptical at first too, but apparently the information came from a player from Destructoid that had played through a few hours of the game. But compared to everything else that we've seen recently (with the huge information blowouts), this piece of information might not have been as important, which might be why it was left behind.

A

Anthony_Vaughn_

This should really help improve friendships with a lot of the characters throughout the game. Perhaps certain dialogue choices you make will reflect on a series of events with what happens with that specific character later on in the game. Or, just maybe you might get that kiss from Zelda we've all been waiting for with a little sweet talk!

Ganondork

goo
I really find this to be one of Skyward Sword's better ideas. I think that with how you can either be friendly, neutral or mean to a person, you can possibly have different character relations. This would increase replay value to the game since it would be cool to see how each way you have Link act could affect the outcome of certain events. I'm not talking about enormous ones like deciding who lives or dies, but certain sidequests opening up for specific characters. For instance, friendly to someone and they may ask you to run a few errands for them in exchange for an empty bottle or something. Be rude to another and they may challenge you to a sword fight.

This opens up many different opportunities for the game and I feel that this could actually make the outcome of the game be better. This allows you to have Link reflect upon your own emotions, or even make a persona exactly opposite to your own. This can help get some anger out by being more aggressive to a certain character that you particularly dislike, or be kind to a character you feel sympathy for. I think this will give Link a group of rivals and of followers. Perhaps the followers will aid Link when they see him, helping him towards the end of the game.

The possibilities of how the outcome of each choice is is actually endless. This is a very good aspect that I think will help the game. In some cases I've been irritated with some elements, but this is one that I'm looking forward to.

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
I would really rather not have multiple choices for a conversation, IF it changes the course of events in the future. Zelda should be a linear game, as it has been always. The OoT dialogues choices are okay (like the one with the Nabooru in the Spirit Temple), and conversations with NPC's are good, but if it changes the course of the game, I'd rather not have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom