• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The City in the Sky

Guinea

Basically Tingle
The Oocca claim its their home, and in truth it technically is. But I don't think they created it. Over the years I had many theories about this place: the Minish originally lived there, the Wind Tribe originally lived there, and heck, the Zonia could've created it. But, one piece of lore from TP was there since the HD remaster that took me a long time to even notice: the mural that shows the absent Rito race in TP.

I headcanon that The City in the Sky is an abandonned Rito city that the Oocca moved into. What do you guys think?

Granted, the quote from Shad about an ancient race creating a capital in the heavens makes me think it originally was created by both the Zonai and Hylians, but I still think the Rito lived there for a while.

Last edited:
I'm personally leaning towards Zoni in origin. Then used by humans, SS, the Wind Tribe, MC, then the Oocca, TP. Each modifying the sky Island(s), and up keeping them in turn.

I do seem to remember a theory kicked around that the Wind Tribe became the Oocca.

Based on what we see with Tulin's story, and the Rito legend of the Ark, while the Rito can easily fly long distances, they have a hard time getting up to the sky islands. Perhaps it's something they lost over time, or perhaps it's something the next game will show us different. As of now, I don't see the Rito we have seen living on the sky islands, despite them being bird people.

The Oocca claim its their home, and in truth it technically is. But I don't think they created it. Over the years I had many theories about this place: the Minish originally lived there, the Wind Tribe originally lived there, and heck, the Zonia could've created it. But, one piece of lore from TP was there since the HD remaster that took me a long time to even notice: the mural that shows the absent Rito race in TP.

I headcanon that The City in the Sky is an abandonned Rito city that the Oocca moved into. What do you guys think?

Granted, the quote from Shad about an ancient race creating a capital in the heavens makes me think it originally was created by both the Zonai and Hylians, but I still think the Rito lived there for a while.
Although the mural depicts the absent Rito Tribe, the studio who made the remake actually took creative liberty when making that mural, so it's canonicity is put into question.

The Rito have never really been shown to have the technology necessary to create the City in the Sky. What I think could be plausible is that, much like the Wind Sage Zonai that left the Stormwind Ark, the Wind Sage Zonai left the City of the Sky for the Rito to inhabit. Perhaps they lived there before, or even during, the backstory of Tears of the Kingdom, before the Zonai's creations were sent above the cloud barrier.

The cannon and fan technology are too similar to the Zonai for it to be entirely disconnected.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
The cannon and fan technology are too similar to the Zonai for it to be entirely disconnected.
I mean, cannons have existed throughout the series and I didn't see a reason any of them were built by the Zonai. Fans...you could contend that the Zonai built Beedle's (electrically powered) shop ship in the earliest game in the series but I don't see a connection. The Zonai have become a god of the gaps in recent years and a certain bias of attribution clings to them among many Zelda fans. Not to say that the Zonai weren't involved with the city in the sky but the Zonai didn't even exist in the minds of the creators when TP was developed so that would be a retroactive explanation anyway.

In reference to the OPs thoughts on the Piccori and Oocca, it seems to follow that such petit races would have built structures suited to them but everything is built to Hylian-sized proportions in the City in the Sky. Perhaps Beedle is under there pedaling away...

Last edited:

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
In reference to the OPs thoughts on the Piccori and Oocca, it seems to follow that such petit races would have built structures suited to them but everything is built to Hylian-sized proportions in the City in the Sky. Perhaps Beedle is under there pedaling away...
And dropping those who dont buy!?

I mean, cannons have existed throughout the series and I didn't see a reason any of them were built by the Zonai. Fans...you could contend that the Zonai built Beedle's (electrically powered) shop ship in the earliest game in the series but I don't see a connection. The Zonai have become a god of the gaps in recent years and a certain bias of attribution clings to them among many Zelda fans. Not to say that the Zonai weren't involved with the city in the sky but the Zonai didn't even exist in the minds of the creators when TP was developed so that would be a retroactive explanation anyway.
I suppose that's where I feel my approach to the Zoni, and how I think they connect to previous games is different from some. I start by looking for as direct of comparisons as possible, and work out from there. I don't simply use the Zoni as a brand of caulking, designed to fill gaps of any size. I feel like pushing for the Zoni to be hidden behind every bush of previous games is just as bad as saying they couldn't have had a presence anywhere previously. As the creators have stated, we should look at the artifacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom