• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Antagonist

Who is the antagonist of SS?

• Ganondorf/Ganon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vaati

• Dark Link

• Malladus

• Majora

• New villain

• More than one villain

• Total voters

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I think Ganon should be in it. After all he is the Villain of the story, and Skyward Sword is the origin of the story. I don't know why people keep saying he can't be in it because it takes place before Ocarina. That means nothing. Anything can happen in a fantasy world like the Legend of Zelda. I would love to see Ganon but not Ganondorf. The pig should get a little more star power and at the end they could explain how he ends up having a human form.

It'll be a new villain. I'd like to see Nintendo put Ganondorf in a game that's before OoT, as this doesn't make much sense. All the others are probably one-time villains. I think we need a new guy anyway.

Anemos

Master of Chaos
I think it will either be a new villain or Ganon.

Assuming it is pre-OoT, either one would make sense.

Personally, I hope they bring Ganon back. If it explains the origins of the Master Sword, he is the most likely. If I remember correctly, the Master Sword was made specifically to combat Ganon. In fact, it states it in the ALttP manual.

Suspecting that Ganon's
power was based on the
Triforce's magic, the people of
Hyrule forged a sword
resistant to magic which
could repulse even powers
granted by the Triforce. This
mighty weapon became known
as the blade of evil's bane, or
the Master Sword.

That's very interesting, that could also prove that FSA comes before OoT, and that could also fit in with the story from OoT because it didn't mention Ganon so maybe Skyward Sword is the real orgin story of Ganon.

I'd like to start of being say that I find it quite amusing that 9 people voted that they believe Majora will appear again. I'm pretty sure that due to Majora's Mask occuring after Skyward Sword, that Majora wouldn't be able to be killed, which to be honest, doesn't sound that great an idea. I also doubt that Nintendo will use any of the antagonist's that aren't Ganon again, but meh, what do I know?

I believe that either Ganon or a completely new antagonist, not one that has already been used in the past of the Zelda series. I'm leaning more towards a new antagonist appearing in Skyward Sword though, as I find the theory that unless Ocarina of Time is before that game, Ganon cannot appear, very plausile.

I am leaning towards a new antagonist appearing in the series though. I think Nintendo will want to freshen the main platform Zelda games up with a new antagonist, and use the theory that Ganon doesn't appear in the timeline until Ocarina of Time as an explanation for him not being there. I'm hoping for an antagonist that seems like a mad freak, but is actually highly intelligent. Something like Mayuri Kurotsuchi (I couldn't remember his name, so I had to find any variation of it :xd:).

I don't want to see Ganon appear in the next few main platform consoles for a while, as the only games in which he hasn't been the antagonist that I am aware of, are the games made for the DS.

Last edited:
A

Apple of Wisdom

I voted Vaati and Ganondorf, but I would much rather see Vaati. Ganondorf is very unlikely at this point, but I think Nintendo can still come up with a way to put him in SS if they wanted to, like time travel. Besides, Ganondorf has been in all of the major Zelda games, so I can't really imagine him not being in SS in some form. It just wouldn't feel right, IMO. I never get tired of Ganondorf anyway. No one ever complains about Bowser appearing too often in Mario (to my knowledge), so I don't see a problem with Ganondorf.

I wouldn't mind a new villain as long as they put effort into him/her. I don't want them to pull another Bellum or Malladus. And I really don't want Dark Link to be the main antagonist. That just seems like it would be another lazy move by Nintendo, because he doesn't talk, and there's not really much you can do with his character. Besides, the whole "dark version of the hero" thing is just so cliche. I would rather him keep his role as a magical conjuration. Giving personality to Dark Link just doesn't feel right... It sounds like bad fanfic to me.

I agree with Linebeck. Dark Link as an main antagonist would indeed be a bad move. I don't really care for Bellum and Malladus either. I voted for a new character. And I hope they do. If there is indeed a timeline it would be interesting to see how (is possible) this villian affects later Zelda games.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I think it will either be a new villain or Ganon.

Assuming it is pre-OoT, either one would make sense.

Personally, I hope they bring Ganon back. If it explains the origins of the Master Sword, he is the most likely. If I remember correctly, the Master Sword was made specifically to combat Ganon. In fact, it states it in the ALttP manual.
NoA made that up. The original Japanese doesn't mention Ganon:
Japanese LttP SNES Manual said:
However, it could not be assumed that only a good person would get their hands on the Triforce.
For that reason, the people of Hyrule were told by the gods to make something that would repulse any evil that may kidnap the Triforce: the blade of evil's bane.
translator's notes said:
Important: the American translation introduces its own story, and thus introduces an inconsistency with later games. A divine oracle (or a "divine message" from the gods, i.e. God's voice) told the people to make a mighty sword, supposedly long before the appearance of Ganondorf. They did not create it by themselves in response to Ganon's rise to power. The Master Sword is indeed older than we thought, since later the sages aren't even sure if it existed and had to search for it (see below). This means it was not created at the time of Ganon's rise, and thus that the sword can be legendary in OoT.
Also note that the blade is supposed to repel the evil one who would steal the Triforce, not "powers granted by the Triforce." So it does not, as we previously though, merely repel Triforce magic; it repels ANY evil!

That's very interesting, that could also prove that FSA comes before OoT, and that could also fit in with the story from OoT because it didn't mention Ganon so maybe Skyward Sword is the real orgin story of Ganon.
I don't understand this post at all. Were you responding to the LttP quote, or am I taking this out of context?

I'd like to start of being say that I find it quite amusing that 9 people voted that they believe Majora will appear again. I'm pretty sure that due to Majora's Mask occuring after Skyward Sword, that Majora wouldn't be able to be killed, which to be honest, doesn't sound that great an idea.
Ganon was in LoZ, and they made a prequel (LttP) with him in it, and then they made another prequel (OoT) with him in it. How would Majora be any different? The evil magic could be sealed in the mask at the end.

Anemos

Master of Chaos
NoA made that up. The original Japanese doesn't mention Ganon:

I don't understand this post at all. Were you responding to the LttP quote, or am I taking this out of context?

Ganon was in LoZ, and they made a prequel (LttP) with him in it, and then they made another prequel (OoT) with him in it. How would Majora be any different? The evil magic could be sealed in the mask at the end.

Are you suggesting that since something wasn't in the Japanese manual that it isn't canon? What if someone added on to it after the Japan release?

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
It is possible for ganondorf to appear or be mentioned in Skyward Sword, due to the fact that it took place before Ocarina of Time. A new villain would be a refreshing change of pace, because Everything revolved around Ganondorf!!!

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Are you suggesting that since something wasn't in the Japanese manual that it isn't canon? What if someone added on to it after the Japan release?
If NoA just adds some clarity that doesn't actively affect anything else then it could arguably be canon. But if the NoA version blatantly contradicts the NoJ version (as it does in this case), I'd take NoJ as the foremost authority any day.

TNinja

Of the Gorons
I really think that it will ganondorf, because the game is supposed tell us the origin of the master sword and the master sword is supposed defeat ganondorf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom