• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Termina or Hyrule?

Which is better, Termina or Hyrule?

• Termina

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hyrule

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
First, let me say that I'm not sure if another thread like this exists, so if one does, please forgive me.

Second, the reason why I started this thread. I want to know which people like Termina more than Hyrule, and vice versa. For me, I'm starting to like Termina more. Before you Hylians get angry at me, just let me tell you why. Termina has the same species, but they have different traditions and life styles. For example, in Termina deku shrubs and the like are posed as actual living beings, which a heart and soul. In Termina, Deku people remorse for their lost ones and when you do something good, the Deku people are thankful for helping them. Hyrule, on the other hand, presents the Deku people as just monsters with no care for the world, and in Termina that's the exact opposite.

There's also another reason I like Termina and the Terminians more, and that's the world that Termina actually IS. Imagine taking out the entire death dealie of the moon and Majora and the like, and imagine being able to go through the game with as much time as it takes you. If that was an option, you'd be able to enjoy the Terminians more, as well as the world that they exist in! Woodfall and that area is a great example; the dekus and even the terminians there have lives too! There's a pictograph guy, and the witches have a target range and tour center, as well as a potion shop to boot! They have lives, but when the Skull Kid comes with Majora's Mask, they lose their way of life, until however Link comes and defeats the temple boss of the area. Terminians and all other beings in Termina have normal lives too, but you never really get the chance to think about their actual lives. (This is starting to sound like a theory post... kinda... sorry if it belongs there.)

All in all, Termina is just like Hyrule in the sense that people have lives and issues, but the issues came majorly quickly when the Skull Kid came. Lovers were separated, a potion shop owner's sister was helplessly attacked, a famous singer lost her voice, a famous hero perished (unknowingly, of course,) and then there's the general issue of the moon crashing into the earth and killing everyone. So the final reason why I like Termina more than Hyrule, is that Hyrule is a mostly perfect world, that only had difficulties and ordeals when Ganondorf gains power, and you everyone has all the time in the world to be safe. Somewhere close though lies Termina, a world that is harmless and beautiful and full of people with lives that are CONSTANTLY being ruined! Just as you realize you're cursed to be a Deku, you realize everyone else has problems too, and you're not the only one who matters!!!! Finally, the people in Termina only have 3 days until a tragic death, and what's worse is that everyone will die with regrets and sadness in their hearts. Ultimately, their regrets are only taken care of once you finish your quest. The world and problem of Termina forces you to help others, and not take your sweet time. Termina forces you too realize that Link getting healed and helping the HMS is only the beginning of Link's responsibilities! Not only does the Happy Mask Salesman need MAJOR help, but everyone else needs help too. Even if you can't remember helping the person, the award remains of the mask you get in return.

Finally, Termina forces you to help everyone as I've said before, but never before has doing a good deed have such a good reward; being able to transform into a deity that can ultimately destroy all it it's path! That is why I like Termina more than Hyrule, and as such I've created a group called the Terminians (sorry if I'm copying, I don't think this group exists yet.) that is for people that truly LOVE Termina. I hope you really think about this, and ask yourself: Termina or Hyrule?

Hope to hear from ya!

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Although i'm not a really big fan of OoT Hyrule, I love TP Hyrule. The music mixed with the beautiful locations and scenery makes it jump right to the top of my list.

But, if we're talking about OoT/MM Hyrule, I dislike it. The blocky graphics along with the bland locations were a downside for me. Don't get me wrong, I loved OoT. But I don't like the design of Hyrule.

So, I prefer Termina to OoT Hyrule. Termina was so interesting and scene orientated. The Great Bay, for example, was a pretty nice looking area, taking into consideration the graphical skills available at the time.
Clock Town was another area that made Termina one of my favorite locations. It was so quirky, odd and colorful, yet at the same time it was the centre of the whole crisis.

It's hard to say for me, because there are upteen different versions of Hyrule and only one of Termina. Hyrule feels like home, in a sense, because it's familiar. But I won't disagree with there being something special about Termina. Chronologically (at least, in order of game release), I hadn't felt connected to a town more than when I had experienced Termina. Like, they're not just sidequests so you can get stuff - you're actually helping people.

I suppose I agree with arkvoodle in that sense. I do prefer Termina over OoT Hyrule, if we're going to compare apples to apples. Hard to determine when you consider the games on other systems.

Hyrule, it is like home. I love the TP version of it and OOT version of it to. It is just home. Everyone loves home :D

jack546

The chosen one
geting to visit termina was fun but i thought it was kinda creepy with the whole have to save the world in three days or every one i know is going to die without any help at all... yeah.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I am going to say that I like Hyrule more. One main reason is that we have seen Hyrule more, so we can say more about it. Also, Hyrule has more places to it. Termina has only 5 parts to it: Clock Town, a forest, a mountainous region, an ocean, and a canyon. On the other hand, Hyrule has several towns, of most Hyrule Town and Kakariko Village are most common, it has a forest/woods, a mountainous region, a ocean/lake area, a desert, a valley filled with snow and ice, a swamp, graveyards (we also saw a graveyard in Termina, but that was with something else [the canyon], whereas the graveyard in Hyrule is its own thing), etc.

tetrafan

Zelda Fan Girl
Hyrule its really cool in Wind Waker even if you didn't get to explore it fully... Twilight Princess was fun to explore, find Heart Pieces and Golden Bugs.

Majora's Cat

How about that
My previous version of this post (which I spent countless hours on) was deleted right before I finished it... -.- But I’m rewriting it, so here are my thoughts on Hyrule and Termina.

The majestic kingdom of Hyrule is a place of many wonders and exciting destinations, but the creativity of Ocarina of Time’s Hyrule kingdom is easily eclipsed by Termina of Majora’s Mask. Why, you say? Hyrule was just too bland and boring in many ways - when I took my first look at Hyrule Field, my thoughts on it were “so what?” I find that the colors and overall design of locations in OoT’s Hyrule just can’t compare to the game’s successor. After all, that’s what MM was supposed to do, right? Its task was to improve on the previous game, and MM certainly fulfilled its duty in terms of graphics, story, sidequests, gameplay, and overworld design. The latter is what we’re all here to discuss - which is better? Termina or Hyrule? While Ocarina of Time’s overworld set the groundwork for 3D Zelda games to come, Majora’s Mask completely blew OoT out of the water in terms of game and area design. Colors were more vivid, areas felt more alive and most of all, there was just more “happening” with MM’s overworld. Clock Town and other areas are crammed with things to do, while OoT’s locations are just a tad bit boring. Places like Hyrule Field, Kokiri Forest, Kakariko Village, Lake Hylia, Death Mountain, Zora’s Domain, Gerudo Valley and Hyrule Castle are all staples of the franchise thanks to Ocarina of Time’s popularity. Majora’s Mask also has some interesting places, but for some reason gamers did not bother to remember those as well as they did Ocarina of Time’s. MM still had a better overworld, but many neglect to factor that in because they are biased when it comes to OoT. MM’s rise in popularity indicates that OoT’s reign is coming to a close and MM is finally being appreciated for its story, gameplay, and what I’m here to discuss: its overworld.

But can the greatest game of all time outlast its successor when it comes to overworld design? I personally do not think so because MM was created and fixed some of OoT’s mistakes. After all, with more advanced technology comes a better game, right? While this isn’t always true, Majora’s Mask should be a more solid experience with a more solid overworld, and in my opinion, that is exactly what it has done.

While I think Termina did everything better (but not necessarily bigger) than Hyrule, I still feel that saying that is insufficient. Each area had its weak and strong points in both Termina and Hyrule. Overall, I’ve decided to Termina is the victor because Majora’s Mask just had more interesting locations... they weren’t all meaningless like some were in OoT. There was always some fun to be had and there was always an interesting story or history behind these places. Now I’ll delve deeper into both Hyrule and Termina to expose their weak points and strong points.

Hyrule (from Ocarina of Time):

OoT broke the barriers of gaming and set the standard for all adventure games to come, and one of such barriers that OoT shattered is of video game overworlds. Never could we have ever imagined such a spectacular world. Nowadays, the gaming world is filled with video games that look so realistic our jaws drop when we even take a single glance at them. But back in the day, OoT was the “Gone with the Wind” of the gaming industry. That very fact sometimes makes us blind to the many problems OoT has as a gaming experience, and the bland overworld is certainly one of those.

Hyrule Field

In my opinion, Hyrule Field was quite frankly the most poorly designed area in the game. Why? It was just empty space that served to meaning. Other exciting locations around Hyrule surround Hyrule Field and this middle area serves as the central point of Hyrule. I would’ve thought that Nintendo would’ve put just a bit more effort into designing a better Hyrule Field since the existing one is quite bland. All that populates the otherwise empty field are a few trees and bushes (and the occasional peahat).

I just felt as if Hyrule Field served no purpose. Lon Lon Ranch sits in the middle of the field, yes, but other than that, the center of Hyrule has no real purpose. Since Lon Lon Ranch seems to be the pinnacle of the Hyrule Field experience, I’ll go over it in detail. The ranch is where Link meets Malon, a small red-haired girl who has taken a liking to horses. Talon is the owner of a ranch during Link’s childhood, but his ungrateful worker Ingo takes over later on (thanks to the power of Ganondorf, of course). Lon Lon Ranch is a serene place where Link can spend some leisure time. But as Link turns into an adult, there are things to be done at Lon Lon Ranch, such as finally getting full access to his trusty steed Epona. The ranch has a nice look - it’s rather simplistic but feels friendly all the while. Lon Lon Ranch is perhaps the only thing that sticks out in Hyrule Field and the only destination of interest in my opinion.

Kokiri Forest

Who could forget Kokiri Forest? This village full of children is Link’s home. After his mother had died, Link was taken in by the friendly Kokiri who tended to him and raised him as one of their own. Kokiri Village is beautifully designed but has sort of stuffy atmosphere. The entire area is of a green tint with mist in the distance. Fairies float around like dandelion pedals in the wind, flying aimlessly around the village to create a cool fairy dust effect. Kokiri Forest will always be known as the birthplace of the Hero of Time in the greatest game ever, and that’s why some overlook its design issues. I never really felt the forest come alive - it was nice and fun, but there really isn’t much to do other than collecting some Gold Skulltula Tokens. Still, the place was a good start to the greatest game of all time. Compared to Hyrule Field, Kokiri Village had exceptional design and looked quite impressive as well. I would consider it one of the more detailed locations in the game, with the fairies floating in the air and whatnot. The fact that the framerate was kept constant even with the inclusion of the fairies for a game as old as OoT is impressive. Overall, Kokiri Forest was aesthetically pleasing. Others may not agree, but I’m intrigued by it. While the village is not as impressive as the ones to come in Majora’s Mask, it’s still pleasing nonetheless.

What I like best about the village is its transition from a lively village of child-like Kokiris to a silent village with deku babas lurking around in the darkness. No longer did Link’s childhood village feel like a safe haven. Still, all things considered, my definite favorite aspect of Kokiri Village is the Lost Woods. I specifically like the Lost Woods because they are so mysterious - the whole thing is just like one large puzzle. You’ll find yourself in the Forest Stage sometimes and you may even end up in some random meaningless place. Eventually Link would reach the Sacred Forest Meadow as a child. Saria awaits him at the end and all seems to be fine. But when Link comes back as a grown man, the Sacred Forest Meadow is not as he once knew it. Deadly moblins lurk around the corners of the maze, waiting to strike. Wolfos are more common, but somehow the area still feels and looks like it did originally. The Sacred Forest Meadow may just be one of the only locations in Ocarina of Time that does not change dramatically after Ganondorf’s conquest.

Apart from the happy aspects of Kokiri Forest, there’s the Forest Temple. This is the first dungeon for Link as an adult, and man, is it a doozy. The Forest Temple is mysterious, and the BGM certainly fits that theme. The place looks more man-made than anything, very unlike the Forest Temple from Twilight Princess. Overgrowth and plants litter the place, but if all that were removed, the Forest Temple would appear to be quite majestic. My favorite part, though, is the twisting hallways. Some hallways twist 90 degrees, allowing Link to explore the dungeon in a few different angles. This concept would be taken to the extreme in Majora’s Mask in the Stone Tower Temple.

Kakariko Village

And who could forget Kakariko Village? I know I could. Although Kakariko was no particularly memorable for me, it was still the closest to a main village or town. The Market didn’t really come so close to being my favorite town simply because it was overwhelmingly crowded as a child. Many of the shops that stood in the Market were quite pointless, so Kakariko still reigns as my favorite. The color palette was nice. The white-red and white-blue houses mixed in the green trees and grass made for a colorful village. Kakariko is loaded with sidequests and shops as well. From a potion shop to a shooting range to the House of Skulltula, there was always something to do in the quaint little village of Kakariko.

What’s more, Kakariko has its dark side too. The Graveyard is decidedly the darkest location in all of Hyrule (other than the Forest Temple and Shadow Temple that is). During the day, the Graveyard is still somewhat bearable, but it’s when the poes come out that starts to worry gamers. The redeads underground also helped with the “haunted” feel of the Graveyard. It also doesn’t help that Dampe the gravekeeper is lingering around. But once has passes away before Link’s adulthood, we can finally see his true colors. Dampe is in fact a kind soul and has a friendly presence. Still, the Graveyard is pretty freaky and has a dark atmosphere about it. The entrance to the Shadow Temple also appears in Kakariko Village, suggesting that the village is “haunted”, so to speak. Although we imagine Kakariko Village is a friendly town that is a bit reminiscent of Lon Lon Ranch, the truth is that it harbors some dark secrets of the royal family.

The Shadow Temple probably had Link shaking in his boots. The dungeon is mostly black. The interior is very dark and redeads, wallmaster, floormasters, etc. lurk around every corner. Enemies such as these are abundant in the Shadow Temple. At one point, there is even blood smeared on the wall. The music for this dungeon doesn’t really have much of a main beat. A few random noises and drums put together make for somewhat of a melody, but it’s mostly scary gibberish.

Lake Hylia

Ahh, then there’s good ol’ Lake Hylia. I found Lake Hylia to be one the more serene locations around Hyrule. Rarely is there such a peaceful place in a Zelda game. Although Twilight Princess’ version of Lake Hylia really took the “serene” factor up another level, I still find OoT’s version to be quite enjoyable. As a child, everything is seemingly dandy. The Scarecrows, Fishing Hole and Lakeside Laboratory all give Lake Hylia a friendly atmosphere, but all that changes once Link returns to Hyrule as an adult. No longer is Lake Hylia the thriving reservoir that it was in his childhood. The water levels have dwindled and the sky is dark. Lake Hylia really feels like a wasteland, but I guess that is the general atmosphere of any once-happy area during Link’s adulthood. And once again, the effects of Ganondorf’s reign and evil beast in the area’s dungeon are present.

The dungeon of Lake Hylia is none other than the infamous Water Temple (as many of you know). This very Water Temple has become infamous in the world of Zelda and of the world of gaming as we know it. Its grueling puzzles and backtracking have general driven gamers away from Ocarina of Time rather than drawn gamers in. I still have to say, though, despite the Water Temple’s downsides, it does have excellent interior design and looks much better than many other dungeons in the game (in my opinion, of course). Lake Hylia is also one of the more gorgeous places in Hyrule. The lake is textured beautifully and overall the area looks pretty nice. It definitely stands out among other locations in Hyrule - and if it did exist, it’s safe to say that I would spend quite a bit of time there.

Death Mountain

While Death Mountain certainly wasn’t one of my personal favorite locations in Hyrule, I’m sure others will have fond memories of this place. Death Mountain has been a staple of the series for quite a while, but Ocarina of Time was the first to bring the Gorons’ territory into the third dimension. Considering Ocarina of Time was mostly an experiment to bring the world of Zelda into modern times, I can’t blame Nintendo for lacking a little bit when it comes to design. I felt that Death Mountain was just a bit boring (no matter how many boulders rolled down it).

On the other hand, Goron City felt very much alive. While Death Mountain turned on my yawn factor, the active city of the Gorons always brought a smile to my face. But... much of the magic of Goron City disappeared when it became empty. The silence of the city after during Link’s adulthood always makes me frown just a bit. I know it made others frown, too, but Goron City was still a lovely addition to the game. Then there’s the matter of the Death Mountain Crater. While I generally don’t like Death Mountain itself, I still smile at the thought of scaling such a dangerous peak. The sheer size of the mountain did add a tad bit of color into the smog of grey that is Death Mountain. The crater made it feel even more dangerous. To me, the mountain felt very unstable and dangerous (which added... a bit more zest, I guess).

Later on, Link must come face-to-face with the Fire Temple. The music here is pretty upbeat and soft, but the dungeon is challenging and fills with dangerous fire and lava. The atmosphere is very... shall I say... very hot indeed.

Zora’s Domain

Zora’s Domain was probably one of the coolest locations in all of Hyrule. As a child, Link must travel all the way to the east of Hyrule to obtain the Spiritual Stone of Water. As he enters the area, he is greeted by octoroks, a bean selling man and a long river that flows into a pool in front of Zora’s Domain. I found that this area in particular really captured our imaginations. I liked the transition of Zora’s Domain the most out of all Zelda games. Zora’s Domain is no longer filled with pristine water and elegant waterfalls, but instead everything is frozen by an evil frost... the frost of the great Ganondorf. I also loved how the freezing of the water created the entrance to the Ice Cavern and contributed to a few nice puzzles in the game.

Of course, we know that even King Zora is helplessly frozen, and the place feels cold and empty. No longer do Zoras consider it their home. The once-great home of the Zoras is now uninhabited, just like Kokiri Village and Goron City. Still, the home of the Zoras is a wondrous place that keeps on surprising gamers (it directly links to Lake Hylia? What?). I really liked the inside area of Zora’s Domain, but what stood out for me was the area just outside of it. With crossing pathways, rushing river water below and tons of sidequests (not to mention the singing frogs), who wouldn’t love Eastern Hyrule? Something memorable for me was the frog choir. I felt that the fly-catching game was quite a challenge and really pushed my nimble thumbs and my brain to the limit (not really). However long a time I spent at Zora’s Domain, there were always things to do.

Gerudo Valley

This is probably one of the most memorable spots for me. In fact, Gerudo Valley’s theme seems to be one of the most celebrated BGMs in the entire franchise. The landscape reminded me much of ancient Egyptian culture (especially the Desert Colossus area). A soft acoustic guitar mixed with quick clackers made for a nice mix of Spanish flavor along with an Egyptian-themed environment. No doubt about it, the Gerudo Valley/Gerudo Fortress/Desert Colossus area was of great interest to me. The mystifying sands held me under its spell the whole way through. I quite enjoyed trudging through the uninhabitable desert where the sand storms nearly blinded me. Only the faint outlines of flags in the distance directed Link toward the legendary Desert Colossus where he would eventually square off with Koume and Kotake.

First, I’ll have a good going over of the Gerudo Valley. Personally, this wasn’t exactly the most engaging area. There were the Carpenters, yes, but other than that there really wasn’t much going on. Though I did like the broken bridge - I had a major brain fart when I first came across the broken bridge. Perhaps it’s not a good area to try to jump to the other side as a child? Anyway, other than involvement in a couple of minor sidequests (with the exception of the Biggoron Sword quest), it was really quite boring. Nothing but rocks and a waterfall populated the area, and it only serves as a path to the “meat” of the Gerudo experience: Gerudo Fortress.

However you or anyone may have reacted to the heavily guarded fortress, I must say that I really liked the whole sneaky deal. This concept was to be repeated in Majora’s Mask (Pirates’ Fortress) and Wind Waker (Forbidden Fortress). Not that I want Zelda to be James Bond or Splinter Cell, but a little bit of sneaking around is just the adrenaline the franchise needs, and Ocarina of Time certainly does provide that. When Link becomes an esteemed bandit of the Gerudo, he is allowed access into the Gerudo Training Grounds. This is one of my favorite sidequests in the game because not only did it give you a reward for completing it, but the Gerudo Training Grounds were reminiscent of a dungeon. On the far end of the Gerudo Fortress is the Bow and Arrow game. And boy, what a whopper this one was. I spent a lot of time on this, but not nearly as much time as someone would’ve spent if he/she was not skilled with the bow. After repeated attempts and repeated failures, I was finally able to complete the challenge (and crush my own goal as well). Despite all the anger and frustration, I had a good time (as always), and this sidequests remains among my favorites in the whole game.

After traversing the no-man’s land known as the desert, Link finally reaches the Desert Colossus and learns the much-needed tune that will carry him there when requested. Once again, Egyptian architecture and culture can be seen in the large Gerudo statue looming over the Spirit Temple. The Desert Colossus is a place of wonder - more like a myth and less like reality, yet you are standing there, ready to take on one of your last obstacles in the game: the Spirit Temple.

That last sentence brings me to my next subject. The Spirit Temple is one of the more difficult dungeons in the game and the one with the most intimidating soundtrack as well. The blasting music is once again just a tad bit like Egyptian music. It sometimes makes me wonder why the Gerudo Valley theme is Spanish. Back to the point, the temple had some marvelous architecture and was the first to actually use both child Link and adult Link. This was very clever of Nintendo, and I applaud them for that. Spining blade traps and beamos enemies littered the dungeon, making it feel like a booby-trapped Egyptian tomb. Inspiration was obviously drawn from ancient Egypt, and later in the series more dungeons and areas would be based on Egyptian culture (such as the Stone Tower Temple). Overall, I felt that these areas in particular were very clever. The Spirit Temple, Desert Colossus and Gerudo Fortress certainly deserve a hearty slap on the back.

Hyrule Castle

There’s so much I love about the pinnacle of the Hyrule experience. For me, nothing has ever compared to slaying redeads in the middle of the Market. It’s lovely to see such a dramatic transition of the Hyrule Castle area. No longer does the happy couple steal smooches while spinning in circles. No longer do the puppies come out to frolic at night. Redeads are scattered around the area, waiting and lurking around each corner to strike. Nothing is as it was before - only the ruins of a few structures and the still-standing Temple of Time remind us of the Market that once was. It seems as if the closer the area is to the great Ganondorf, the more tainted with evil it becomes. Since the King of Thieves has made Hyrule Castle his own (now called Ganon’s Castle), the area is the exact definition of “evil”.

The Market was what I thought of as a “safe zone” (as a child, of course). There was nothing there to harm you and the community is filled with friendly townspeople and shops. Such shops are what I crave in a Zelda game. I often find myself traveling back to shops to purchase a potion or stock up on items. Apart from the friendly atmosphere of the Market, there’s also Hyrule Castle itself. It seems like a nice enough place (and even looks and feels a bit like Peach’s Castle from Super Mario 64. Sneaking past the guards didn’t feel like Zelda. To me it felt like Metal Gear Solid (except very lighthearted, of course).

On a different note, I’d like to talk about Ganon’s Castle. It previously served as Princess Zelda’s sanctuary, but now it serves as Ganon’s twisted tennis court, and Link is the challenger, ready to take him on in a thrilling game of tennis (and quite literally, too). Ganon’s Castle is like the scene of an apocalyptic future. A future where the great Ganondorf rules all. The dark sky and the sickly spiral cloud spinning around the peak of the tower is a bit apocalyptic, I must say, although Ganon does not intend to end Hyrule. The area also has a feeling of dark magic in the air. For instance, how is the tower able to hover above the lava pit with nothing supporting it? Perhaps the floating castle is a demonstration of Ganon’s dark powers. I’ve been going on about the appearance and atmosphere of the outside area - I’m going to get more in depth on the interior of the castle.

Link is greeted by a large circular area when he enters Ganon’s domain. A barrier is erected with a pathway inside of it. Link must battle through the six levels (one representing each medallion/temple). I thought that this idea was very clever. The concept of re-experiencing the dungeons in condensed form was introduced in Ocarina of Time. This concept has been reused in Majora’s Mask, Wind Waker and (kind of) in Twilight Princess and other games. When the barrier was destroyed, Link proceeded up the large tower and fought ferocious foes all the while. When he finally reaches the top, one of the most epic final boss battles in video game history commences.

Verdict

Hyrule is a little bit “meh” for me. It’s certain that later versions of Hyrule will improve on this one, but the first 3D Hyrule will always be an experiment more than anything else. Nintendo’s five years of hard work with designing OoT’s engine will come to fruition when MM is introduced in 2000 and brings with it an improved overworld and a daring storyline.

Termina (from Majora’s Mask):

I would describe Majora’s Mask as that little boy that was finally able to step out of his brother’s shadow. Gamers never really gave MM the credit it deserves. Termina’s brilliance was largely ignored (just like the game itself). Only going over it in depth has helped me understand what I’ve been taking for granted, so I want all of us to revisit Termina’s most memorable locations. Such locations include Clock Town, Termina Field, Southern Swamp, Mountain Village, Great Bay, Ikana Valley, Milk Road, an the ever-mysterious Moon.

Clock Town

I consider Clock Town to be the greatest town/village ever to exist in a Zelda game. Why do I say this? Simple. Clock Town was such a lively place. The sound of hammering and carpenters working all day and night gave the town a busy feel. Add the multitude of NPCs roaming the area and the bevy of sidequests and other extras and you’ve got yourself one of the friendliest towns ever in a Zelda game.

A sure sign of a good main town/village is a gamer’s willingness to keep on coming back for more. I found quite drawn to Clock Town. Unlike Hyrule’s Market, Clock Town had loads of sidequests and a few more secrets. Also, Termina’s main town is presented in a 3D point of view. The Market’s 2D form was a little bit annoying. Controlling Link was a bit more difficult than it needed to be, and the side view was not very helpful when it came to actually navigating the area. I often spent my free time having fun around Clock Town while I was still on a quest to save Termina. Even the famous Anju and Kafei sidequests took place mainly in the safe confines of Clock Town.

Termina Field

While Termina Field may not be as grand as Hyrule Field, it still looks a lot nicer and has more to do in it. Sometimes a compact area is better than an open field such as Ocarina of Time’s take on a central field. Everything was just prettier and more vivid. The four different areas sporting four different climates certainly made Termina Field look diverse. To the north are a mountain range and snow, to the east is an earth-toned wasteland, to the south is a poisonous swamp and to the west is a beach-like tropical paradise. Little sneak peeks of these locations can be seen in Termina Field even before Link can access them.

Termina Field was just a bit more interesting. The nice array of colors was a giant step up from the boring color palette in Hyrule Field. The chus and bushes added a bit of entertainment to the area as well. I used to find myself slaying chus and cutting grass for rupees just to get to 5,000 (at which point you were awarded a Piece of Heart). There were always things to do in Termina Field, from executing the Fierce Deity Mask glitch to just killing chus and waiting for them to respawn just to kill them again.

As far as design goes, it’s not the most original design out there. Each separate area is place either at the very north, south, east or west of the field (with the exception of Milk Road). I really like how so many climates can be crammed into such little space, but the game is a fantasy, after all, so anything is possible. This very element of fantasy is what draws me to Majora’s Mask’s Termina Field in the Zelda franchise in general.

Southern Swamp

There’s a lot I can say about this subject. My first thoughts in entering the Southern Swamp were “what is this place?” and “murky purple water?”. It turns out that the Southern Swamp was the first step to reaching the first dungeon: the Woodfall Temple. The poisonous purple water is a direct result of Majora’s evildoings. I especially liked the theme for this area. Not that is was special compared to the Mountain Village, Great Bay or Ikana Valley themes, but I shall always remember this one in particular because it was the first one to be introduced in the game. Of all four locations, the Southern Swamp was the first in the game to have that same area theme. Each theme fit perfectly with its location, this one being the Southern Swamp. The BGM just completely nailed it. It went along perfectly with the mood and atmosphere.

My favorite part of the swamp was the part with elevated flowers (right before entering the Woodfall area). It was quite stunning to find a place so wondrously colorful in a relatively dark location. The yellow and red hues made the Southern Swamp burst with color and beauty. This was something that Ocarina of Time certainly didn’t have in its overworld. The colors used in each area in OoT were largely similar and nothing really stood out. Seeing as such a beautiful location could be placed so early on in the game really shows what Nintendo has learned from Ocarina of Time.

Finally, of all the “transformations” or “cleansing” that occurs whenever Link slays the boss of the area’s dungeon, the Southern Swamp’s is one of my favorites (along with Mountain Village). I liked how the water become pure once again and the water levels went down so dramatically. I’ll be completely honest, when I first rebooted the game after completing the Woodfall Temple I was quite surprised to see the Southern Swamp return to its previous state. At first I was confused, then remembered that time had reset itself when I saved. There was no evidence whatsoever of any progress I’d made except for the heart container, special upgrade (for the Stray Fairies) and Odolwa’s mask in the Pause Screen.

Mountain Village

Serenity. Crystalline snowflakes falling to the frosted ground. The bitter, bitter cold. A nearly uninhabitable wilderness. These descriptions come to mind when I imagine Mountain Village. There isn’t much hope for the Gorons. Many residents of the village are frozen solid, unable to move or speak. Mountain Village is in a pitiable state when Link first arrives there, all thanks to Majora’s evil spells and the masked beast that dwells within Snowpeak. The village is very much dead. Majora’s evil has cast an insufferable winter upon the Gorons and it is Link’s duty to cleanse this very evil. Like the Southern Swamp and the other locations around Termina, the home of the Gorons is plagued by a great evil. Goht, the boss of the Snowhead Temple keeps the village in a frozen state, not allowing spring to finally come.

Personally, Mountain Village is one of my favorite locations in the game. It’s very quiet and isolated, making for an “icy” feel. The soft music compliments this idea very well. Majora’s Mask has a nice effect going with the footprints in the snow, and I also liked how large and small snowballs could be destroyed using several methods. The inclusion of Goron ramps and the rolling sequences added a unique twist to the game - it was like nothing we’ve ever seen before in a Zelda game.

As for Snowhead Temple... all I can say is “wow”. Most gamers aren’t really fans of the BGM for Snowhead Temple, but I felt that the simpler tune made for a nice chilly atmosphere. The soft music gave Snowhead the atmosphere it needed. It was also noticeable that the theme for this particular dungeon is somewhat similar to the Ice Cavern from Ocarina of Time. Defeating Goht (who provided an excellently fun time) melted the snow at Mountain Village and restored the Goron’s happiness. Blizzards no longer rage and snow no longer falls. In my opinion, the “cleansing" of Mountain Village is the most dramatic of them all.

I immensely enjoyed walking around Mountain Village during springtime. It was much like discovering a whole new world. The once-frozen rivers and ponds run free again, opening up a few sidequests (such as the Don Gero choir).

Great Bay

On the next leg of Link’s Terminian journey he comes across a drowning Zora named Mikau. He drags Mikau out of the water and plays the Song of Healing to collect the Zora Mask. And so begins Link’s quest to defeat the evil lurking in Great Bay Temple. Great Bay Coast is like a beach or a tropical paradise. The theme music for Great Bay fits is “tropical” style. Jamaican instruments come into play here, making the theme sound kind of Bob Marley-ish.

Great Bay is perhaps one of the main reasons why MM took up so much space. The place is crammed with sidequests and secret locations like the Beaver Brothers’ hideout. The ocean is expansive and filled with things to do as well. The Pirates’ Fortress is only a heartbeat away. Who would’ve thought that the Gerudos in Majora’s Mask would hide out near the ocean? I certainly did not. Great Bay is an imaginative area of Termina that gives the player lots of things to do and explore such as the Skulltula House, Zora Hall on the home of the Beaver Brothers.

What really speaks volumes at Great Bay is the foggy temple in the distance and the underwater Zora Hall. When Link first reaches Great Bay, he would likely have one thought in mind: “where are the Zoras?” It turns out that these Zoras live underwater in a large dome-like structure. Being inside Zora Hall isn’t nearly as mystifying as seeing it from the outside. The interior looks much like a stage for the band to play on. The Indigo-gos’ band members’ rooms sit one the side. Like the name suggests, Zora Hall is more like a concert hall and less of a home for the Zoras. I still really like the idea, as the interior is very colorful and is bursting with different colors and shapes.

There’s also the Pirates’ Fortress. The Gerudo Thieves bunk out here, wishing to steal all seven Zora eggs. Link must go on a James Bond-like journey to find and rescue four Zora eggs at this heavily guarded fortress. I really liked the concept and it sort of reminded me of Gerudo Fortress from OoT and the Forbidden Fortress from Wind Waker. Not only was it well-designed and thrilling, with the Stone mask, Link can actually run in front of Gerudos without be noticed. Slashing Gerudos while they’re staring straight at Link always brought me tears of joy.

And last but certainly not least, there is the Great Bay Temple. This dungeon houses Gyorg, perhaps the most formidable regular boss that Link must overcome in Majora’s Mask. The soundtrack and design of the dungeon really impressed me. Nintendo really outdid themselves with this temple. A cool beat that sounds like a factory goes along nicely with the factory-like dungeon. Instead of being a complete “Water Temple” like Ocarina of Time had, It was instead more like a system of water pipes that can make the overall water level in some areas lower or higher.

To me, the Great Bay Temple was really what I call a perfect dungeon. It had seemingly everything - an amazing soundtrack, cool-looking interior, high difficulty level and a fairly difficult boss battle. The Great Bay saga is one that I will never forget in any Zelda game. It was cool, creative, and certainly a bit longer than the Woodfall and Snowhead sections of the game.

Ikana Valley

Hands down, Ikana Valley is the creepiest location in Termina. Why? Gibdos, redeads, Garo Ninjas, Pamela’s Father and all the like. Ikana Valley is also where the legendary Stone Tower Temple resides. This very temple would become one of the most loved in all of the Zelda franchise.

First off, Ikana Valley seems pretty daunting at first. The loud and ominous soundtrack that plays while Link is in Ikana Valley can be a bit intimidating at first. A distorted chorus sings the main area melody while Romani/Malon’s voice sings another melody in the song. It’s really quite beautiful - it is sad and tragic all the while. Ikana Valley has a desolate feeling in the air. It really is like a wasteland; dead and empty. Only when Link hookshots all the way to the top of the valley does he get the full experience.

The very top of Ikana Valley is where the adventure really starts. The Music Box House is surrounded by a circle of Gibdos that are slowly rotting around, waiting for Pamela to come outside. I wouldn’t imagine that this is a very comforting feeling for a little girl. Link must first find and cleanse one of the two composers named Sharp and Flat. After this frightening ordeal, Link must prepare for a journey to the Well. The Mirror Shield sits at the bottom of this Well, giving link something to actually fight for. Armed with items such as blue potion and milk, he must jump down into the Well and give Gibdos random items to give him passage (with the Gibdo Mask on, of course).

Next, Link must tackle Ikana Castle. The BGM is very loud and in your face, but Link must not be intimidated by the music itself. This leg of the journey is not particularly difficult, although it is a bit like a mini-dungeon of sorts. The interior is surprisingly colorful, and getting to the last room and fighting the King of Ikana is pretty entertaining.

After obtaining the Mirror Shield, Link must tackle the ever-intimidating Stone Tower Temple. Before he can even enter the dungeon, he must scale the large tower to get there. A few Beamos and challenging puzzles stand between Link and one of the most epic dungeons ever to come from a Zelda game. The scale of this tower is amazing. Even from a distance the tower looks huge, but actually hookshoting from cube-to-cube and not messing up somewhere on the line can be frustrating and fun at the same time.

Finally there’s the dungeon itself. I really enjoyed it and it may just be the most creative dungeon yet, no lie. At first things seem only a tiny bit strange. Of course, you always get that feeling that you are high in the sky. Stone Tower Temple feels pretty ancient and borrows just a bit from Egyptian culture (though not nearly as much as the Spirit Temple did). The dungeon is just huge, too - it is perhaps the largest dungeon in the game. The place is like a maze, and each room takes you to yet another breathtaking vista. But the magic doesn’t happen until Link has the ability to turn the entire temple upside-down. Yes, upside-down. Stone Tower Temple is well-known for this innovative feature. It really gave gamers a whole new outlook on how a Zelda game could be played. Because the Stone Tower Temple must be played rightside-up as well as upside-down, making puzzles lengthy and difficult and making this dungeon the most difficult to collect all the Stray Fairies. Puzzles now involved doing a certain thing rightside-up and then coming back to the same area while upside-down to solve the remainder of the puzzle. This proved not only to be a braid-bender, but also one of the coolest concepts ever in a Zelda game.

Milk Road

Honestly, I wouldn’t say that Milk Road is one of the most memorable locations in Termina. Apart from the involvement in a few sidequests, there wasn’t much going on at Milk Road. Milk Road is more like a small path leading to a large boulder blocking Romani Ranch. That’s the main purpose of Milk Road, but I’d still like to point out the suspicious Gorman Brothers.

The Gorman Brothers of the Gorman Troupe had looked suspicious from the start, but it wasn’t until their attempted heist of Cremia’s carriage that we learn their true nature. The Gorman Brothers are involved in a few sidequests including one where Link must defeat the brothers in a race. These sidequests are pretty entertaining, but it’s the Romani Ranch sidequest that captures’ most gamers’ attention.

After purchasing a large bomb for 100 rupees, Link must travel to Milk Road to obliterate the large boulder blocking the entrance to Romani Ranch. Once he gets in, a large area unfolds before our eyes. Romani Ranch is a huge improvement on the Lon Lon Ranch from OoT, but unfortunately it isn’t always available. The Dog Race was good fun, yes, but the real meat of the experience is the Alien Attack sidequest.

A little girl named Romani (AKA Malon from OoT) protects the ranch from aliens every year. These very aliens come to kidnap the cattle in the barn each and every year, and it’s up to Link to stop them this time around. Romani hires Link to protect the ranch with his life, and when night falls, the aliens finally arrive.

A feeling of uneasiness will wash over the player as hordes of alien attackers advance. It is your duty to protect the cattle and if even a single alien gets through from either the front or back, you have failed and Romani, along with all he other residents of Romani Ranch will be abducted. The pressure in this sidequest is immense. The strange music that accompanies this event only makes you all the more nervous. When the sun comes up and you find that the aliens have disappeared, it is a great relief. But if you are to fail, Romani will be abducted as well. The ranch will become quiet and empty. Somehow I find this emptiness and loneliness poetic yet incredibly depressing. This is just one instance where Majora’s Mask stuns me.

The Moon

This, my friends, is the final section of one of the greatest Zelda titles ever. The Moon is an epic location of astronomical proportions. There are simply no words to describe how spectacular the Moon is, so I’ll keep this last one short and simple. The single tree in the middle of the grassy field and the strange children are all figments of Majora’s imagination brought into twisted reality. The different levels in the dungeon were created to toy with Link, as Majora’s intentions are not truly evil. The Moon and the final battle with Majora are beautiful beyond comprehension. If I had to pick a single location that stands for MM as a game, it would be the Moon itself.

Verdict

Majora’s Mask may not have changed the gaming industry, but it was a fresh twist on a familiar formula. The overworld is no exception. It’s stunningly beautiful and some areas feel as if they were taken straight out of a poem. Termina is something that Hyrule will never be: anomalous.

Edit: To any and all who read through the entire post, I salute you for your undivided attention.

Lol I just noticed that even with 14 other posts on the page this thing still takes up almost half the page. :xd:

Last edited:
T

Tamloo

I'm just going to make my statement short, I don't feel like writing a book like some other people I know *cough* ^ Majora's Cat ^ *cough* ;).

I liked Termina better, I liked their traditions that they had for the Carnival of Time and how much more technological advanced they were than Hyrule in OoT. I liked how they had clocks, a telescope, motorized boats, etc...

Hyrule looks like a boring, normal life that I picture people having in the middle ages and wasn't as interesting as Termina life was in the game.

Majora's Cat

How about that
Hyrule, it is like home. I love the TP version of it and OOT version of it to. It is just home. Everyone loves home :D

Seeing as Hyrule actually has 45% of the vote, I'm going to say something. Hyrule is like home, yes, nostalgic and all that? Well, we're not really looking for "home". The question is asking which we like better, not which we feel is more like home. I also feel like many are not understanding the question posed in this thread. Like FierceDeity already stated, "Classic Zelda" means all Zelda games up to Majora's Mask. That being said, Hyrule from Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, etc. are all excluded.

Hyrule its really cool in Wind Waker even if you didn't get to explore it fully... Twilight Princess was fun to explore, find Heart Pieces and Golden Bugs.

Yes, I understand why some would say Hyrule is better because of its later versions. Looking at it from others' point of view, shouldn't Hyrule be better because it's been so much more than Termina? Hyrule can be lots of things: a vast flooded ocean, a large overworld succumbing to the Twilight, etc. There is ony one Termina, giving it a huge disadvantage to those who believe this topic actually addresses the kingdom of Hyrule across many generations of Zelda games.

I am going to say that I like Hyrule more. One main reason is that we have seen Hyrule more, so we can say more about it. Also, Hyrule has more places to it. Termina has only 5 parts to it: Clock Town, a forest, a mountainous region, an ocean, and a canyon. On the other hand, Hyrule has several towns, of most Hyrule Town and Kakariko Village are most common, it has a forest/woods, a mountainous region, a ocean/lake area, a desert, a valley filled with snow and ice, a swamp, graveyards (we also saw a graveyard in Termina, but that was with something else [the canyon], whereas the graveyard in Hyrule is its own thing), etc.

In fact, PT, Termina does not lack locations compared to Hyrule. Each area (North, South, East, West) is divided into several more areas that must be completed in order to successfully reach that area's dungeon. Hyrule, however, does not have as much variety and the towns were far from memorable. Ioften found myself trekking back to places like Mountain Village, while visiting Goron City was much of a chore in comparison.

geting to visit termina was fun but i thought it was kinda creepy with the whole have to save the world in three days or every one i know is going to die without any help at all... yeah.

Creepy? While the premise of the game and the plot are a tad bit creepy, the land itself isn't very much so. Locations were bright and vivid, and if it weren't for "creepy" characters like Majora, the Moon and the Happy Mask Salesman, MM could've been a very happy and upbeat game.

Those are just my two cents on some of the previous posts on this thread. :)

dumb180

Warrior Postman
Within the context of Classic Zelda, I think I'd do well to take it one comparison at a time. MM versus the world? :P

Termina vs. LoZ Hyrule: Hyrule wins easily. The overworld secrets are so cool. LoZ Hyrule probably has more of those than Majora's Mask has sidequests.

Termina vs. AoL Hyrule:
Termina takes it. I like many of the areas in AoL's overworld, but this map can be tedious to walk across. I'd much rather spend a day in Termina than AoL Hyrule.

Termina vs. Alttp Hyrule:
I like them equally. The Light World gives us some interesting things to think about (Eastern Ruins, Sheikah symbol), but gives us no explanation as to what these things and places are. Termina does the same thing with the Stone Tower Temple, hence my reasoning.

Termina vs. OoT Hyrule:
In my mind, it's not even close: Hyrule wins this competition. Termina has some interesting people, but Hyrule has some interesting geography. The Temple of Time, the Spirit Temple, and.. the inside of a talking tree! Termina, in contrast, has three shrines and one flipping temple with an admittedly remarkable mystique. Even so, I still find Hyrule to be the better place.

Last edited:
I cannot make any comments on Termina for I have yet to play a Zelda game involving that world. I used to playing in the world of Hyrule. I do not know why. This is my personal opinion.

M

MightyDarknut

I like Hyrule better. It has so much more history to it then Termina. It's kind of like comparing you're home town to a vacation spot. Plus there is just a lot more stuff there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom