• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Taylor Swift

Is Taylor Swift a talentless hack?

• Yes

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dan

Guys I'm pretty bi-curious about her music as of late.

I'll admit some of it is catchy which doesn't mean it's good. I'm asking this question as I was accidentally singing her bad blood song in public at the super market. A couple of chavs laughed at me and told me not to sing Taylor Swift songs in their supermarket. I responded by questioning how a couple of third class chavs managed to become the owners of a large supermarket chain and as a result I got thrown into the fruit and vegetables.

Needless to say it seems people are quite vocal about their Taylor Swift hate, how about you forum dweller?

Had to google who that was for a moment. I can't say I care at all about Shake It Off, but then again, Grimes is as far as I'm willing to go when it comes to mainstreamey dance pop like that.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I can't say she's talentless or not since I've found that most of her recent works were not only written by her, but others as well. I think her management pushes her in a certain direction now, so I think any talent she has is lost in the mix of ****ty pop tunes and lame dance routines.

I was actually a fan when she first started; I think she has potential when it comes to the country genre but as for pop, it's just management telling her what's cool and that she should be doing it. It's all about money.

I think Taylor Swift is a sellout, but not talentless.

Reactions: Dan

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I'm not a fan of her. I almost had to google her too like Soul did but I know the song shake it off. Not by her but by the Hillywood Show who used it in the Supernatural parody. I think the woman has talent but is in the same group as most of nowadays talents. Plus I don't really listen to the radio anymore as I used to do.

Malia

Passive aggressive custom rank B)
I find it funny how a lot of her lyrics include what she happens to be wearing? Like describing her outfits seems to be A Thing and it makes me laugh lol.

That aside, as an artist she makes some catchy ear-candy music, and that's okay. I often hear how music has to be deep and meaningful or filled with all sorts of magnificent talent and lyrical content or whatever, and you know what, that's cool; I can appreciate certainly when someone writes all their songs on their own, or plays all their own instruments, or whatever. But I just don't think there's a problem either with PR-saturated demographic-driven meaningless pop music either lol. I find I listen to a fair bit of it when I'm working out or just want something bouncy to listen to as I sketch. Like there's a time for it, for me, and Taylor's no different in that regard. I would say she is talented, but I don't think that talent is extraordinary. In fact, I'd pin her as pretty generic, particularly with her more pop slant these days. I don't even think her voice is that great lol but it works for most of her songs, so eh good for her.

As a celebrity, she's obnoxious as ****, but she (and her team) are bloody brilliant at what they do ie keeping her in the limelight with high school drama-type bull****. Her audience and entertainment media eat it up, and so she and her team milk that thing like whoa. And it's worked for years, and is still working today. This is absolutely relevant to her success; it isn't just about the music, but also about the image and continuous drama that seems to surround her, and then she incorporates it into her music with passive-aggressive lyrics and more shade than a giant-ass umbrella. She perpetuates all of it and it sells like hot cakes. Obnoxious, deliberate, petty. And business-wise, successful as hell.

So yeah, I take the ****ty pop music for what it is for when I can enjoy it, though I am not particularly amazed by whatever talent she has, but I do raise an eyebrow at how successful she is from being, essentially, a Mean Girl lol.

That aside, as an artist she makes some catchy ear-candy music, and that's okay. I often hear how music has to be deep and meaningful or filled with all sorts of magnificent talent and lyrical content or whatever, and you know what, that's cool; I can appreciate certainly when someone writes all their songs on their own, or plays all their own instruments, or whatever. But I just don't think there's a problem either with PR-saturated demographic-driven meaningless pop music either lol. I find I listen to a fair bit of it when I'm working out or just want something bouncy to listen to as I sketch. Like there's a time for it, for me, and Taylor's no different in that regard. I would say she is talented, but I don't think that talent is extraordinary. In fact, I'd pin her as pretty generic, particularly with her more pop slant these days. I don't even think her voice is that great lol but it works for most of her songs, so eh good for her.

I have to agree with the fact that songs don't need insightful lyrics to be good. I don't even have a problem with that. I just don't like the music as it is, and fail to see what's special about it. :)

D

Deleted member 14134

Perhaps not talentless, but overrated? Definitely. Im not a fan of her or any of her songs personally, I'm just glad I don't work anywhere that plays her music on the radio anymore.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
As an "oldie" who grew up with 4 decades of music and is currently in her fifth decade, I can't say I'm surprised. I just happen to not care about what is playing on the radio anymore. If the radio is on when I'm driving or at work, it's fine with me. But I really don't care for todays music including Taylor Swift.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I actually think her songs song okay and are actually rather catchy. I have to constantly remind myself that the lyrics are.... something special. Shake it Off references just about every rumor and characterization that's been made about her. Blank Space is ridiculously anti-male and glorifies her bashing of her exes. And despite that it's hard to deny the songs are actually rather catchy. It's like she's thriving off her controversy.

MW7

I thought she was a much better artist as a country singer than she is now as a pop singer. I hate country music in general but enjoyed some of her songs. Now she has gone down a less slutty Britney Spears path, and the music she puts out now is pretty forgettable to me.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Man face, slut routine, garbage "pop" music. That's all I can think about in regards to T Swift. I never understood the allure she got -- most guys I talk to about music like her because she's "6 foot aryan" or some superficial race BS, and the girls that fawn over her never tell me what makes her so good. Maybe my ears are broken? But I just don't enjoy her music.

I'll admit the "shake it off" song is catchy as hell, but other than that I just am not in tune with the artist.

Catchy doesn't mean good though. I get Shake It Off stuck in my head everytime I read the name here, and it's annoying the hell out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom