• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Sws is Starting to Look Darker (MAJOR SPOILER)

N

NextToNormal

Our Fabulous Ghirahim here...

Ogod, he reminds me of a pedophile lurking in a playground. *shivers* He gives off a flamboyant-creeper type air.

That being said, does it seem like his character model was just an excuse to appease (and creep out) the fangirls (and some fanboys)? I mean, he's androgynous, sadistic, and wears tight, revealing clothing. Not to mention his tongue. Oh GOD, his tongue... T_T To me, a fangirl myself, he does have a "child molester" feel to him. However, in another point of view, it's probably to make him seem more menacing than to just fuel foe yay(as in homoerotic subtext between antagonists and protagonists). Either way you look at him, he's creepy.

As to the darker feel... it does certainly seem like SwS is heading that way. I don't mind, as I do enjoy more psychological ambiances(considering that's a word) as well as lighthearted, skipping-through-a-meadow tones.

Tl;dr Debbie-poo seems like a dang creeper rather than fabulous, making the game seem like it'll be a lot darker than expected.

(This post has a total of 5 parentheses. Please excuse the walls of text. T_T)

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
Welcome to ZD NextToNormal~! ^^

On-topic, I don't really think Nintendo's attitude as to their reasons for choosing characters is centered around "appeasing fangirls and fanboys"....although that's rather sometimes a by-product, as I would say is the case here. As I've already mentioned earlier in this thread, Nintendo has an attitude of really doing whatever they want in terms of characters (like OoT & MM's Great Fairies) and aren't afraid to overstep some controversial lines here and there. Their choices with the characteristics of Ghirahim seem simply to be an extension of that.

N

NextToNormal

Thank you muchly, Sarinae!

And yes, I see where you're coming from. Now that I'm thinking about it more, his design doesn't surprise me as it did when I first saw the dungeon video. As stated earlier, the Great Faries' looks and mannerisms initially seemed very risque (though now, with the graphics of the N64, the designs are much more laughable), but we've gotten used to their seemingly way-out-of-left-field character models.

I'm sorry if I was unclear about my thoughts in his design in my previous post; basically, I believe the same thing you stated. In fact, I think everything that would be fetish fuel(I don't know a better way to say it Dx) for some about Ghirahim was meant to be insanely creepy. I still can't shake his aura of "child molestor"esque creepiness. He certainly is not the type of guy you'd want to meet in a dark alley or let take care of your children; as unsettling as the Great Fairies were, they at least were essentially nice characters.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
No problem~ ^^

Then I think we agree! :P Yes I would not want Ghirahim babysitting either, though thankfully I doubt he'd be interested, as that'd be too 'trivial' a job for our mister fabulous here. :P Actually I really didn't get "child molestor" vibes from him personally, rather I was just getting.....yaoi vibes---why are we talking about this again? XD Right, I'll stop there.

You're right, his malevolence makes him different than the Great Fairies, but both show the risque nature that Nintendo isn't afraid to venture into among characters they'll include in any Zelda title they may make.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Hehe. But I still don't see where the actual name 'Debbie' came from.. XD Oh well.

Well, I made my best try. I guess it came from ZU then. I'm not sure, but that video probably had something to do with it.

Anyway, yeah. Ghirahim is creepy. But I can't stop wondering what else could be in this game. His obvious Joker inspiration (which I apparently point out far too much) makes me think Nintendo will put some more pushing stuff in there. I bet parents who buy the game for their children (hey, many of us got into Zelda as kids) will be "pleasantly" surprised. And fans who buy the game (like us) because of brand recognition will sure get somethin to remember.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Actually I really didn't get "child molestor" vibes from him personally, rather I was just getting.....yaoi vibes---why are we talking about this again? XD Right, I'll stop there.

Child Molestor, Yaoi factor, A Joker look alike. You may be all right. For me, he is the singer in a controversial Visual Kei Band :D

Well, I remember, there wasn't a character in a Zelda game who death threatens Link before. For me, this is a fresh and new aspect I'm really looking forward to.

This game looks amazing. All of my concerns have basically gone from what we've seen at E3. And Ghirahim seems incredibly creepy and interesting. Could he be part of the dark tribe? Main or sub villain? I think he's probably not the main bad guy. But I must say, this holiday can't come soon enough!

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Child Molestor, Yaoi factor, A Joker look alike. You may be all right. For me, he is the singer in a controversial Visual Kei Band :D

Well, I remember, there wasn't a character in a Zelda game who death threatens Link before. For me, this is a fresh and new aspect I'm really looking forward to.

Well, I didn't exactly say he was a Joker look alike, just the lip-licking and some mannerisms. This guy seems to have a style of his own and it couldn't be more... (cue drums)...

No, wait a minute, jokes like that are only funny the first time. I think I'll save it.

OK, HOW DID WE BUMP INTO GHIRAHIM DISCUSSION AGAIN?

Anyway, some of the dungeon footage seems to have eerie lightning coming from the floor, now there we have another sign of Nintendo trying to evoke tense emotion in the player. The place also looks quite desolate. What does anybody have to say about that?

Last edited:
you cant say the game is dark JUST because of one boss-thats stupid, if you think this is a dark game-go ahead but you probably have brain damage, down syndrome or you might even be a mongoloid

Howeeeeever, one could argue that if someone as significant as Ghirahim-seems to be-is "dark", then moreover, one could assume the same about the overall plot of the game, since Ghirahim MUST be a large part of it (duh, when you think about it for a sec).

Also, there are many other things shown that strongly hint at a major "darkness factor" in the game's plot and atmosphere (see: Siren World thread by Hero_in_Green 'link below'). Plus, how would you expect to see such a twisted character like Ghirahim in a normal, not-so-dark, happy-go-lucky video game? If that's possible, feel free to elaborate.

Siren World link: http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?19289-The-Siren-World-Twilight-World

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Mmm, it's a perfect example of how people should not make assumptions that the colorful art style will necessarily correlate to a light and easy-going game.

As for what else Nintendo might dare put in the game? Well...they could dare to put in a lot of things, as it's fairly open-ended. Maybe we'll have creepier great fairies than the ones from OoT and MM? :P

::EDIT:: Predictions on the rating? Usually Nintendo gets away with E10+ even with their controversial stuff, but do you think we're looking at T this time around?

Aw crap, I can't believe I forgot to reply to the rating part! As FABULOUS as Mr. G is, I don' think the game will get out of E10+ territory (remember, as creepy as this is, the ESRB has allowed for worse things in E10+ rated games, like strippers in Final Fantasy IV, for example).

A bit more of a freakshow, though, and he may singlehandedly move it into T-rated territory.

But that's just me. I also fear what he may want to do to Zelda, 'cause one thing is sure: IT-AIN'T-NICE.

Lupine

Sacred Beast
Ah, rating rating rating... I think that E10+ is where they'll keep it at, judging by what we've seen, but who knows, it could be moved.

Anyway, I'd be more than happy to see SS take a dark twist once in awhile, as long as there's light spots as well :) I think that's what made Majora's Mask such an interesting game: light moments balanced with dark. Can't wait to see what else Lord Debbie has in store for us. His dialogue is certainly threatening, such as "strong appetite for bloodshed" and "beat you within an inch of your life."

People saying the graphics don't mean it can't be dark, but the graphics are a huge part of the atmosphere of the game, and SS's graphics do the opposite of give a dark atmosphere.

People saying the graphics don't mean it can't be dark, but the graphics are a huge part of the atmosphere of the game, and SS's graphics do the opposite of give a dark atmosphere.

The thing about colorful things, is that the colors have different emotions, The graphics look like it can give off creepy colors when needed. Dark could mean purple, or orange, maybe even red. Shading can be changed to give a different feel at anytime, you don't know what the graphics can do and give what feel. We are just gonna have to wait and see! :)

MattWalker

Windfall Walker
Debbie (I LOVE this name - only because it's easier to remember to spell that 'Ghirahim') looks like a suave, powerful, Luciferian type character. Gannondorf is like a Powerful Vengeful God (most of the time). Zant was like an INSANE, crazy, chaotic type boss (I LOVED that guy - that was an incredible character), and I'm gonna love seeing what they do with Deb...er... Ghirahim.

:yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom