• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Mario World Appreciation Thread

This is a thread to remember back on and talk about two of the greatest games ever made imo, Super Mario World 1 and 2.

Super Mario World

250px-Super_Mario_World_Coverart.png

Mario and Luigi head to Dinosaur World where Peach again gets kidnapped and our heros must save the day by adventuring through many different areas including Donut Plaines, Vanilla Dome, Forest of Illusion, Chocolate Island and many more.
It's a great game that I think still holds up tremendously today, great gameplay and bright colorful graphics. Lots of secrets, cool enemies and challenges make this an amazing game, one of my favorite Mario titles period.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

250px-Yisland_box.jpg

I practically grew up with this game. It is one of my favorite titles period. The graphics and gameplay are so creative, this game has unique flavor all it's own that sets it apart from any Mario title or spinoff. I love it, I believe its the first title with baby mario, you control Yoshi who is carrying him.
It has such creative level design and enemy design, really nice graphics and if you haven't gotten to play it, DO IT! It's an amazing game which I would easily put in the top 20 all time.

Anyone else love these two games?

I love Super Mario World. I like how most of the areas are named after food, too. I've never played Yoshi's Island, but I grew up with Super Mario World. My brother had it on his SNES, and we played it all the time. I always thought it was fun to just fly around with the cape and just beat the first Donut Plains level over and over again. The only thing that I didn't like about SMW was the magikoopas.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
Super Mario World... I loved that game so much on GBA. I beat it like 20 times, and last month in 2 days

Yoshi's Island, I played the SNES and NDS. Both are so much fun ^-^ And I can play as Yoshis.

BRB getting Yoshi's Story for Wii.

Super Mario World, both of them, are some of my favorite games of all time. It is Mario platforming GOLD, and these are definitely in my hall of fame. They were some of the first video games I ever played, and I'm glad they were!

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Super Mario World is among my favorite SNES games because of--but not only for--Yoshi. This guy can kill just about every enemy by slurping them up to clear obstacle courses. Without SMW, we wouldn't have this green cheery dino.

But I digress...this game was really popular to me in its exciting levels. Each provided a new challenge designed to have us play for hours. You'll really have to play the game to see what I mean, but it is an exhilarating experience and one of the greatest classics among the 8-bit era.

Long live Super Mario World!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I honestly found the level mechanics and puzzles in SMW to be the best of all Mario 2D platformers. Just loved them all, from the Switch Puzzles (Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, etc) to the Yoshi Eggs, to Star Road and even those rage-inducing Special stages! Just a great game all around!

SMW2:YI was an extremely frustrating game notsolelybutmostly because of Baby Mario's insane screams of terror (which prompted me to throw controller into wall), but by the end I felt like a did a huge accomplishment. It was a nice way to vent if I had any anger left in me, how I miss that game...

Last edited:

Maikeru

Piper of Time
I never actually played the second one, but the first is one of my favorite games on the Super Nintendo. I think the only SNES game I enjoyed more was Turtles in Time. Anyways, I recently beat this game again this year. So, it's one of maybe 5 or 6 games I've beaten more than once.

Djinn

and Tonic
I love SMW, of the Mario games it is one of my favorites. The original Mario 2 is still my favorite, but I have gotten a little tired of it. I have played SMW many many times before I ever got my hands on a SNES, I even have it on GBA since it makes a perfect play and go game. It is definitely set up for playing through a level or two, then saving for later. There are so many secrets in that game. I typically have to look for them all over again each time I play through. I never did memorize them all, probably one of the few games that I have not gotten bored with due to playing it so much. I really think the size of the game and number of levels contributes to that.

I think my only complaint is that all those fun powerups introduced in Mario 3 were removed. I would have loved playing around with the tanuki suit or hammer bros suit in SMW. Yoshi is great but it is limited in a lot of ways. Mostly the fact that he never goes into any ghost house or dungeon.

Yoshi's Island I did not play as much. I remember not liking it as much as I did SMW the first time I played it and out it down. I think because it was not a normal Mario style game I did not instantly want to play it. I usually do not care for spinoffs in series like Mario. The crayon drawing artstyle was definitely something I had to get used to, it was another reason I initially passed on it. I did not like the look and did not give the gameplay a chance. Thinking it was not a serious Mario game but some easier game meant for younger audiences. Sort of like the Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for the Mario series. It was a few years later that I actually picked it back up and played it for a while. Now I have it on SNES, GBA, and the sequel on DS. It is a pretty fun game when I actually decided to play it and get into it, although it might be a bit too easy sometimes. While many parts of SMW were frustratingly hard, Yoshi's island has never given me as much trouble.

I love the game, but I never grew up with it. I grew up with the original Super Mario Bros. on the NES. I never had an SNES, so my brother got the GBA re-release. We played the heck out of it, finding every secret in the game. Never finished it, though.

Conor

the over analysing guy
I love this game. so SO much, it was the reason I asked Santa for a GBA, it was the first game I ever saw people play and say I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE. I still remember that magical first 40 minutes, struggling through my first ever platform and finally beating iggy koopa, then going on to the other worlds, mystery around every corner.

But you'll never relive any of that again, you'll never know the happiness of riding your first yoshi in yoshi's island 2, you'll never experience the feeling of struggling through the vanilla dome before finally persevering, feeling triumphant.
This is the curse of super mario world ):

Super Mario World is hands down the best 2D Mario game ever made.

Super Mario World is among my favorite SNES games because of--but not only for--Yoshi. This guy can kill just about every enemy by slurping them up to clear obstacle courses. Without SMW, we wouldn't have this green cheery dino.

But I digress...this game was really popular to me in its exciting levels. Each provided a new challenge designed to have us play for hours. You'll really have to play the game to see what I mean, but it is an exhilarating experience and one of the greatest classics among the 8-bit era.

Long live Super Mario World!

I believe you meant 16-bit era, Thareous :P

Last edited:
This is a thread to remember back on and talk about two of the greatest games ever made imo, Super Mario World 1 and 2.

Super Mario World

250px-Super_Mario_World_Coverart.png

Mario and Luigi head to Dinosaur World where Peach again gets kidnapped and our heros must save the day by adventuring through many different areas including Donut Plaines, Vanilla Dome, Forest of Illusion, Chocolate Island and many more.
It's a great game that I think still holds up tremendously today, great gameplay and bright colorful graphics. Lots of secrets, cool enemies and challenges make this an amazing game, one of my favorite Mario titles period.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

250px-Yisland_box.jpg

I practically grew up with this game. It is one of my favorite titles period. The graphics and gameplay are so creative, this game has unique flavor all it's own that sets it apart from any Mario title or spinoff. I love it, I believe its the first title with baby mario, you control Yoshi who is carrying him.
It has such creative level design and enemy design, really nice graphics and if you haven't gotten to play it, DO IT! It's an amazing game which I would easily put in the top 20 all time.

Anyone else love these two games?

These two games are so superb.
I cannot say enough good things about them.

Yoshi's Island.
It has superb music the music for every single stage is just perfection.
I love how you can transform into different things like a helicopter, a car a train.
Another thing thats great about it is trying to get 10 per cent in each stage 30 stars, 20 red coins and five flowers.

Mario World.

Firstly i love the superb music which is fantastic and like Yoshi's Islands music suits every stage and world.
There are also many secret exits which are not easy to find.
You many need the switch palaces to help get them.
Another thing you will need is a key which then put into a lock doing this can bring up new areas.

I've always loved Super Mario World, but for some reason, I never learned to play it. I'd have a very difficult time timing my jumps over the enemies, and I'd lose at the start of a level because of it. I used to just watch my older brothers play. To this very day I still suck at the game. I've played [or have tried to play] New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii to no avail. Super Mario World is still my favorite Platformer, though; sometimes I watch hours of videos of people playing it on Youtube. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Thatlinkisaspy!

(not really)
Super Mario World is no doubt one of my favorite games of all time. The levels are amazing in detail, and all the dinosaur coins make me go and play it 1,000,000 more times.

As for Yoshi's Island, it was good and a great twist on the backstory of Mario and Yoshi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom