• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sugar Rush Games

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
So-called "sugar rush games" are games that functions as a sugar rush. As you start to play them, they immediately leave one hell of an impression, maybe even makes you think that this is the greatest thing ever. You play and play, and the adrenaline just won't stop flowing, maybe even for tens of hours.

And then .. it dies. Perhaps rather quickly. All of a sudden, flaws and holes starts to pop up, and you start to feel like the whole thing abruptly became a slog. Perhaps you're never picking up the game again after that. (Maybe even considering it as a disappointment.) It was fun while it lasted, absolutely, but there's no longevity or replayablitity there whatsoever.

Have you ever played a game that had ju feel just like this?

I recently had this with Dad of War, the sugar rush lasted maybe three hours.

During this sugar rush I was all 'wow, look at these visuals', 'oooh throwing the axe is lots of fun', 'holy wow, this world is amazing' and 'damn, those kills are awesome'.

But then the cracks started to show and the cracks turned to chasms and I actually gave up about 30minutes from the end (didn't know) and didn't play it for months until a friend told me I was so close.

Didn't enjoy the ending either.

MW7

One game I played like that was Goldeneye: Rogue Agent on Gamecube. I'm a huge fan of several of the James Bond games for N64 and Gamecube, and this game plays like a greatest hits of the James Bond series where you play levels based on classic locations. The multiplayer had me really hyped up as well because the levels were all classic James Bond locations.

Once I got pretty far in the game, my enjoyment died as the flaws and weird design became more apparent. It's a pretty generic shooting game at the core, and they give the player increasingly powerful special abilities which basically break the game at a certain point. The thing that made me stop playing entirely is that this was a game made as online multiplayer was taking off which is fine, but it meant that they didn't bother to put AI controlled options in multiplayer. Now that the game is dead online, there's no point in playing it beyond a mediocre single player or if you can somehow find people who are willing to play local multiplayer of a 16-year-old game. I still play The World Is Not Enough, Agent Under Fire, and Nightfire occasionally with AI opponents, and I still play Goldeneye 007 single player.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Funny enough, almost all of the games I consider my biggest disappointments ever started off as sugar rush games.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - here was the worthy follow-up to Melee - A new Smash! Look at the stages! The characters! Aaaahh !!

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Look at that cinematic!! Wow!! And what environments.. I'm SOLD!

.hack G.U // Last Recoded - Yo, I looooove the .hack franchise! SO excited to give this a try. Wow.

Heck, even Tales of Zestiria seemed promising at first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom