• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Subspace Emmisary

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
So, I just wanted to ask. What do you think of Brawl’s story mode? I really liked the cutscenes, and it had some really funny humor at times, but the gameplay was just pretty boring and repetitive, the levels minus a few looked boring, and I just wasn’t an overall huge fan of it. I loved it when I first played it though.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I enjoyed them and missed them in future games, its too bad Sakurai let the internet ruin it for future games instead of just moving on. Cuz most games have their cutscenes leaked, its unfortunately normal.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
levels drag out for far too long and it becomes a repetitious slog, and the maze should've been post game or something instead of required

cutscenes are the main draw of it, but it kinda gets murky when you just watch them all online

basically, it should've been shorter, would still play it over world of light though

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It's pretty iconic for the cutscenes and character interactions. Gameplay-wise it can be pretty fun when you arent stuck with characters you dont like to use. Something about smash just makes platforming more fun.

World of Light could have really used more cutscenes akin to subspace, honestly. WoL still has a lot more and better content, but it is missing a lot of that good old smash zaniness. That's probably the best thing about subspace and Brawl, honestly.

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
It's pretty iconic for the cutscenes and character interactions. Gameplay-wise it can be pretty fun when you arent stuck with characters you dont like to use. Something about smash just makes platforming more fun.

World of Light could have really used more cutscenes akin to subspace, honestly. WoL still has a lot more and better content, but it is missing a lot of that good old smash zaniness. That's probably the best thing about subspace and Brawl, honestly.
WoL has more nods to Nintendo games, but it drags on for too long and it’s basically just less interesting event matches. Some feel like the same matches, just different characters or different sprits, and it doesn’t feel that good to beat it IMO.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I beat it way back when. Stuff like that is why I love crossover games like Smash. I wish we could get more of it. World of Light was fun, but it wasn't really the same. You miss those interactions after the first two minutes.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I only like it for the cutscenes
I wish world of light had cutscenes, but world of light was overall a more enjoyable experience for me and it was better because it actually incorporated smash bros gameplay, more like event mode(?) from brawl whilst still being that singleplayer story experience

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
WoL has more nods to Nintendo games, but it drags on for too long and it’s basically just less interesting event matches. Some feel like the same matches, just different characters or different sprits, and it doesn’t feel that good to beat it IMO.
I don't really agree. I always enjoy the spirit battles a whole lot, and I think the level of content was very satisfying. I do think running across what's effectively a board game board is more boring than subspace's platforming, but it has its own charm and its also what allows it to have so much content.

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
I don't really agree. I always enjoy the spirit battles a whole lot, and I think the level of content was very satisfying. I do think running across what's effectively a board game board is more boring than subspace's platforming, but it has its own charm and its also what allows it to have so much content.
I just find that it could’ve been much shorter, as it’s long and repetitive, so I see no reason to come back to it and do a replay. And sure, it has a good amount of content, but I have no motivation to do so, as it’s basically just event matches but not as fun. Event matches had more than just the battle. Take the Norfair one from Brawl as an example. The goal wasn’t just to defeat the enemy, your goal is to get inside the capsule before you die. Spirit battles were just a regular battle with a gimmick, like the opponent starts with a final smash, or your attacks are reversed, or the enemy’s metal. It just got boring after awhile. I feel like they could’ve done something else to Ultimate than WoL.

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
fun fact, you know what game out there plays the most similar to the subspace emissary? (specifically the maze portion)

Kirby and the amazing mirror, which speaks to why it's one of my least favorite kirby games

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom