• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Strategies/Combos for Specific Pokemon

Hello. A_LINK_IN_TIME here with a post in the World of Pokemon and more specifically Competitive Pokemon subforum. I feel as though I don't post enough here and would like to offer some Pokemon strategies today. I apologize in advance if there is already a thread like this.

Lucario-Use Calm Mind to boost your special attack and special defense and deal even greater damage with the move Aura Sphere.
Togekiss-The move Nasty Plot will raise this Pokemon's special attack making the move Air-Slash even more powerful, an effective flincher.
Heracross-This is a more general strategy with Heracross provided as an example. Allow your opponent to lower its HP to 1 using endure and wreak havoc with Reversal, a move which does more damage the less HP a Pokemon has remaining.
Gengar-Use Hypnosis to cause your opponent's Pokemon to fall asleep and proceed to wreak chaos with the 100 power move Dream Eater.
Weavile-Utilize Weavile's Fling to throw an iron ball at your enemy and inflict heavy damage.
Ampharos-As earlier with Heracross this is a more general strategy. Try it out with a variety of electric Pokemon. Use Charge to double the strength of electric moves raising the 120 power level of Thunder to a massive 240!
Gallade-Raise Gallade's Attack and Defense with the move Bulk Up and then hit the opponent with Psycho Cut for a high chance of critical hits.
Hydreigon-A third more general strategy (have to show some love for Gen V-Unova) revolving around the move Substitute. Substitute protects against status moves allowing Hydreigon to barrel its opponents with the likes of Focus Blast, Dragon Pulse, and more.

Some of these strategies are more general whereas others are specific. The key is always to exploit an opponent's weakness whether that means putting out an opposing type, raising your own stats, and lowering all those of your opponents. What are some of the strategies you use? What Pokemon are these strategies associated with? What makes these combinations effective?

MW7

I only ever played the first generation (which I love for its relative simplicity while still being quite complex) so I'll give a couple of techniques I've come across. I wouldn't be surprised if these were all really old news, but here I go anyway.

Eevee and evolutions (I tried this on a Vaporeon since it's the most defense-friendly with its high HP): Sand Attack, Double Team, Rest, and an attack. If you can survive an attack or two, by alternating sand attack and double team you can quickly make your opponent miss over half of their attacks, and if you use each of this two attacks six times then attacks get down to having less than a 9% chance of hitting you (if the attack's accuracy is 100%). Of course Swift can render this strategy kind of pointless.

Exeggutor: Toxic, Leech Seed, Double Team, Rest. There was a glitch in the original games that made leech seed increase damage along with toxic, and this combination becomes just brutal.

Snorlax: Amnesia, Rest, Ice Beam, Psychic. Amnesia was too good of a move in generation one so they actually changed it in the other games so that it only raised special defense. However, if you play in generation one this set up can make things very easy since it raises both specials. This Snorlax was able to take out most of the Elite Four by itself while it was still had a relatively lower level (in the high forties). Once you used Amnesia three times everything was a OHKO in my experience.

Persian: Slash, Screech, Hyper Beam, Bubblebeam/Thunderbolt. Use slash usually because in generation one the critical hit ratio for slash (and other high critical hit moves) was based on speed, and persian's high base speed makes slash a critical hit 99.6% of the time in generation one (255/256). So its base damage is effectively doubled from 70 to 140 and then don't forget the STAB bonus which brings it up to 210 effectively. I think this example is a reason why they changed the critical hit formula most likely.

Snorlax 2: Body Slam, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Rest. This was my alternative Snorlax when playing with generation one pokemon on Pokemon Stadium 2. With its high attack these physical moves make sense, and this is a safe way of adding these types of attacks to your team since it seems like everyone has a water pokemon which can kill most ground/rock types in one hit. This set-up was inspired by the various times my Rhydon was OHKO'ed, and I just got sick of that. Hyper Beam probably should be substituted for Body Slam but I try to go with the most accurate attacks possible generally. Still 150 damage with a pokemon with high attack and the same type for a STAB bonus leads to a nuclear bomb of sorts.

Last edited:

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
Magnezone: I used this strategy LOADS in HG. Switch in and first use Magnet Rise if you're in danger of earthquakes then use lock-on and zap cannon. This will turn Magnezone into a no-miss, 120 dmg, 100% paralysis machine. :)
Archeops: Train in speed and attack and get acrobatics. This devastates fighting types and will give a maxed defence ev blissey a shock with 491-578 damage!

Espeon : Substitute, then use calm mind as much as needed and use psychic, i've won several battle with that, in fact espeon was last pokemon and he desroyed the ones of my opponent. But it could not work with faster pokemon than espeon.

MarkaenShoque92

Hero of Hoenn
Scyther (with Technician): Sword Dance then Bullet Punch. After STAB and ability, Bullet Punch has a base power of 90, hits every Pokemon, and is mighty off of Scizor's insane attack
Dragonite: Multiscale+Roost+Thunder Wave. Multiscale cuts the power of moves in half (but only at full HP), Roost restores health to get back to full, and TW makes sure you go first to heal.
Meinshao (with Regenerator and Life Orb): Fake Out then U-turn. Hit your opponent with two attacks (empowered by Life Orb) then retreat, thus restoring health lost by Life Orb

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom