• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Star Fragments

He is the only Lynel in the entire game that doesn't 'upgrade' as you progress. He stays the lowest level Lynel with the lowest level club - go to the labyrinth in Hebra and wander westwards and try battling the Lynels around there ;)

Zachie

Moo
He is the only Lynel in the entire game that doesn't 'upgrade' as you progress. He stays the lowest level Lynel with the lowest level club - go to the labyrinth in Hebra and wander westwards and try battling the Lynels around there ;)
Oh wait is that the Lynel with the shock arrows?

Coz I'm talking about the one in some snowy area & it f**ked me up so many times

Oh wait is that the Lynel with the shock arrows?

Coz I'm talking about the one in some snowy area & it f**ked me up so many times
Yeah, the Ploymus mountain one is the one with Shock arrows (though they all have elemental arrows of some kind).

Silver Lynels with clubs are the worst. Though blades come a close second as their attacks are much faster.

Zachie

Moo
Yeah, the Ploymus mountain one is the one with Shock arrows (though they all have elemental arrows of some kind).

Silver Lynels with clubs are the worst. Though blades come a close second as their attacks are much faster.
Blades are easiest, just Shield and slash and then repeat until dead

Blades are easiest, just Shield and slash and then repeat until dead
I prefer to dodge and flurry rush them myself, but yeah... they're definitely the easiest.
Spears would probably be second... they don't do too much damage, but their jump attack is annoying until you figure out how to deal with it.
And the clubs are hardest due to the heavy damage... I'm still trying to get the hang of their spinning attack.

Some silver blade Lynels just do the jump attack on repeat, and it's got less of a cooldown and a more accurate splash than the Spear equivalent.

Spears are just so weak physically and you can literally duck most of the attacks.

There's a Lynel in the snow region with a bs club that does stupid amounts of damage
I've only fought blue and white Lynel in the game. Blue and white in the snowy mountain areas. The silver Lynel are still harder and have more health. I believe silver is only in the arena but I've done none of the 5 main dungeons in the game and have fought red, blue and white Lynels. One of you will be able to tell me if silver Lynel appear outside the arena.

That's the one! Even with max hearts it was a clusterfrack
The amount of hearts you have in a Lynel fight doesn't matter as every attack bar one mostly one shot you dead (apart from the 3 flame shots). They one shot me dead. Fairies help but if I'm not close to killing a Lynel and I'm hit, I just reload the save just before the Lynel (I save before all Lynel fights) and try again. The fights are not too long and honestly not worth wasting a fairy on.

Perfect shield blocking their attacks is not too hard once you learn their attacks. Apart from a coule which you run away from. Much harder to perfect block guardian lasers (somethnig I can't do reliably yet)

If you get relatively good at perfect blocking and only doing ride damage to them, you don't use up any weapons (apart from bows and a some arrows) and beating them is not too hard. Never fought a silver one yet but the red, blue and white ones are totally doable. This is totally practice makes perfect.

I'm still trying to get the hang of their spinning attack.
Run away from that. Their whirlwind attack, for that I don't know a reliable way to counter it, but since it's a close range attack you can easily out range it and wait till it's over.

their jump attack is annoying until you figure out how to deal with it.
Perfect shield block that. Works fine. You can't really perfect dodge it as the small aoe of the attack still gets you after you perfect dodge before you can do the flurry.
The jump attacks that come right after you attack without their running away and coming back into you bit, those you can perfect shield block too but better to just run away from them. I've never had a Lynel spam that on me infinitely. Eventually they always run away as usual and prep for the next attack which you can deal with in the usual ways (or run away to avoid it)

Last edited:
Some silver blade Lynels just do the jump attack on repeat, and it's got less of a cooldown and a more accurate splash than the Spear equivalent.

Spears are just so weak physically and you can literally duck most of the attacks.
I don't think I've ever experienced a jump attack from a sword-wielding Lynel... only spear-wielders.... I thought it was a weapon-specific attack, like the lunge from the sword, and the spin from the club.
The sword-wielders probably do use the explosive slam more than the others, but they can all use it, and it's easy to avoid.
The difficulty with the spears is that it's easy to lose track of their position when they're up in the air, which makes dodging a lot more difficult, and when done repeatedly it doesn't give you many opportunities to hit them back.

The amount of hearts you have in a Lynel fight doesn't matter as every attack bar one mostly one shot you dead (apart from the 3 flame shots). They one shot me dead. Fairies help but if I'm not close to killing a Lynel and I'm hit, I just reload the save just before the Lynel (I save before all Lynel fights) and try again. The fights are not too long and honestly not worth wasting a fairy on.
The most I take from a single attack is probably around 8 hearts, and that's against a silver club-wielder, so it typically takes at least three hits to kill me... but getting hit by three of the most powerful attacks in a row is very unlikely.

Run away from that. Their whirlwind attack, for that I don't know a reliable way to counter it, but since it's a close tange attack you can easily range it and wait till it's over.
I managed to flurry rush it once, I just can't get the timing right, and always get clipped when I try to run away... but I'm pretty sure there'll be another way to deal with that I haven't figured out yet.

Perfect shield block that. Works fine. You can't really perfect dodge it as the small aoe of the attack still gets you after you perfect dodge before you can do the flurry.
I've gotten the hang of hitting them with an arrow while they're in the air... drops them to the ground staggered for long enough to get a decent number of hits in.

The jump attacks that come right after you attack without their running away and coming back into you bit, those you can perfect shield block too but better to just run away from them. I've never had a Lynel spam that on me infinitely. Eventually they always run away as usual and prep for the next attack which you can deal with in the usual ways (or run away to avoid it)
Never seen it... but I do tend to keep pretty close to them throughout the fight, so maybe I'm just too close for it to be triggered.

After a while all but one become silver.
Can anyone else varify this? (I'll check the printed guide later)

The most I take from a single attack is probably around 8 hearts, and that's against a silver club-wielder, so it typically takes at least three hits to kill me... but getting hit by three of the most powerful attacks in a row is very unlikely.
That's probbly so depend on your current armour level. I don't have 8 hearts yet so yeah I die one shot.

I managed to flurry rush it once, I just can't get the timing right, and always get clipped when I try to run away... but I'm pretty sure there'll be another way to deal with that I haven't figured out yet.
After you attack you want to keep your distance from the Lynel. Not too far so you get the arrow attack from it. But not too close so that the whirlwind hits you. You don't run away when you see the attack. You should be far enough away it in general. The only time you want to be right in a Lynel's face is when you are attacking it after a perfect block or perfect dodge.

I've gotten the hang of hitting them with an arrow while they're in the air... drops them to the ground staggered for long enough to get a decent number of hits in.
That's tricky. You have better skills than me if you can pull that off. I just perfect block the attack then arrow in the face so it's stunned long enough so I can get around to it's ass end and ride it and attack while I'm riding it.

Never seen it... but I do tend to keep pretty close to them throughout the fight, so maybe I'm just too close for it to be triggered.
For me at least I find there's a sweet spot as to how far away you should be to it during the fight. I usually just hold my ground and let it run away and then come towards me. Gives me a few seconds to see what attack is coming up and get ready for it.

Can confirm all but *three* become silver. There will always be a Red one on Ploymus mountain, and always a Blue and White one in the Castle.

Every other over world Lynel becomes Silver in the end game, however.

Endgame as in after beating Ganon? After beating Ganon was when I finally started seeing silver varieties of monsters, but I still have yet to see a silver lynel. I've hunted down more of them lately hoping one would spawn after a blood moon, but nothing. Unless it's linked more to the Divine Beasts, and to which I have to ask, do they all become silver at once, or do the ones you kill get replaced with the silver variety after blood moons?

Endgame as in after beating Ganon? After beating Ganon was when I finally started seeing silver varieties of monsters, but I still have yet to see a silver lynel. I've hunted down more of them lately hoping one would spawn after a blood moon, but nothing. Unless it's linked more to the Divine Beasts, and to which I have to ask, do they all become silver at once, or do the ones you kill get replaced with the silver variety after blood moons?
I haven't beaten Ganon yet, but they've already changed for me.
I'd been avoiding them until after I'd done the divine beasts, at which point I started hunting them for materials... I could still find the other colours at first... it was only a day or two ago that I noticed that I was only finding silver ones.
I'm not sure if it was a gradual change, or if it happened all at once, but it seemed to be the result of killing more Lynels.

So back on topic, the best way to farm star fragments is to go stargazing and hope RNGeesus rains down one from the sky for you?
Hard to say... I was doing this for a while, but it seemed kind of slow and was pretty boring... since realising that silver Lynels drop them, I've just been hunting them... it's more difficult, but is far more fun, is good combat practice, and you can get various other useful drops from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom