• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SSB4 Charectors: Who's Going?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I'd say they're probably going to get rid of Wario, despite his inclusion in Brawl by popular demand. In my opinion he was one of the most underused characters, rarely picked by a player or NPC, although this has only happened in my area, as far as I'm concerned.

Another thing I think the developers will focus on is cutting down characters from duplicate characters from certain franchises. Wolf O'Donnell was special appearance for the Star Fox crew, but ultimately he'll probably have to go as well.

I also anticipate that Captain Falcon, one of the original eight, will be the first of the originals to leave the series. According to this statement by Shigeru Miyamoto, it appears that the F-Zero franchise, sadly, has come to a close:

Wikipedia said:
Takaya Imamura, who worked directly on F-Zero throughout its different incarnations, said in 2003 "hav[ing] worked on the F-Zero series, and seeing the results of the collaboration with Sega, I found myself at something of a loss as to how we can take the franchise further past F-Zero GX and AX."[30] Edge magazine asked Shigeru Miyamoto in April 2012 regarding a future F-Zero installment. Miyamoto stated "I think at the time [F-Zero] was a really big surprise, a new thing, a product that made sense" and the Wii and DS lacks to create a similar impact.[31]

[Source]

Thareous, all twelve of the original fighters have had perfect attendance thus far and that statement does little to insinuate Captain Falcon will be cut from the roster. Why is Ness included in all three ga,es? He was only featured in one obscure game for the SNES. Interestingly enough he was to be not included in Melee but the decision otherwise has cemented his veteran status in the series.

Moreover, Miyamoto-san specifically referenced the F-Zero franchise's absence on the DS and Wii. You quote fails to provide insight into eight generation platforms. Conversely, he had this to say regarding future installments on the 3DS and Wii U:

IGN said:
Though it seems Wii will be without the futuristic racing series, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto thinks F-Zero might find a home on Wii U.

"With Wii U coming up, maybe we could create something that does make sense, either as a smaller game, or a fully fledged title," Miyamoto told Edge in an interview. The famed designer noted Nintendo's current generation of hardware wasn't capable of creating the same "surprises" that previous generations had, perhaps contributing to F-Zero's extended absence.

[Source]

I would double check the validity of that Wikipedia article. I've scanned multiple sites and their interpretation of Miyamoto's statement to edge is nearly universal. There appears to be an error in your linked source.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I also anticipate that Captain Falcon, one of the original eight, will be the first of the originals to leave the series.

Captain Falcon is one of the original twelve, not eight. Luigi, Jigglypuff, Ness and Captain Falcon were the unlockables, and are classified as part of the original twelve characters. The original eight characters consists of all the starters.

Why is Ness included in all three games? He was only featured in one obscure game for the SNES. Interestingly enough he was to be not included in Melee but the decision otherwise has cemented his veteran status in the series.

Ness was to not be in Melee because of Lucas. Lucas was going to be the Earthbound playable character, but as his only game (Mother 3) was delayed past Melee. It would make little sense to include him. Ness returned.

Interestingly, Roy's only game (at the time) was released after Melee and was included despite. Hmmm...

Last edited:
I think they will drop Sonic and Snake because they are third party characters. They should be replaced with other third party characters or Nintendo characters. I really hope Wolf doesn't get dropped because he is my best character in Brawl and I'd like to use him again in the next game. I don't care if he is a "Semi-clone" he still has a unique thing about him.

Another character(s) I would like gone are the Ice Climbers. I have no idea why they are in Super Smash Bros in the first place. They're not very popular and no one hardly uses them.

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Thareous, all twelve of the original fighters have had perfect attendance thus far and that statement does little to insinuate Captain Falcon will be cut from the roster. Why is Ness included in all three ga,es? He was only featured in one obscure game for the SNES. Interestingly enough he was to be not included in Melee but the decision otherwise has cemented his veteran status in the series.

Captain Falcon is one of the original twelve, not eight. Luigi, Jigglypuff, Ness and Captain Falcon were the unlockables, and are classified as part of the original twelve characters. The original eight characters consists of all the starters.

My bad, guys. Seems that I'd forgotten that there were unlockable characters in the original Super Smash Bros. But in regards to Captain Falcon, a fan emailed Nintendo sometime this year [I believe] and asked if they were going to continue with F-Zero. The developer said that they were not. When I heard this, I'd asked a few of the trustworthy members on here, and they said that F-Zero had been discontinued, so I went with their word. I wanted to use that to back up my claim above, but I came across Miyamoto's quote first and thought it would carry more weight. Apparently a lot of things have occurred since then, though, and there's the possibility that F-Zero will return, and Captain Falcon shall retain his starting spot as an original. >_<

So glad that his franchise isn't going down yet. I'd love its music too much...

Link (TP) will disappear, to be replaced with Link (SS). Without a Boomerang? This could be bad. He needs to have his boomerang, so why does this feel like its going to happen?

Lucario is most definately out. To be replaced with Zoroark

Ganondorf will be kept, no doubt. They might change his attacks a bit. But he wont be going away. Im positive
Ghirahim will be added.

ROB, Ike and Pokemon Trainer will be goners. Ike will be replaced with some other FE character. And PT might be replaced with an altered character, or perhaps new separate playable pokemon.

Snake and Sonic? No idea. That really depends on Konamis and SEGAs response.
If theyre in we might se a new SEGA character, but i higly doubt there will be a new Konami character

edit:
And yeah.. i fear Lucas will be dropped. I perfer to play as him over Ness though.

Last edited:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I think they will keep most, if not all, of the Brawl roster. I think they'll swap Lucario for a a 5th Gen Pokémon though, not sure which one. I'd like to see them keep Pokémon Trainer but change him to a different Generation. Like have a 2nd Gen trainer with Totodile, Quilava and Maganium maybe? Or 3rd Gen with Mudkip, Grovyle and Blaziken.

I recall reading something about them not expanding the roster too much in #4 but I still hope they add some new and unique characters. It'd personally love to see Paper Mario show up, his move set and style would be completely different from Mario's. I also think Dixie Kong could make a good fighter, using her long ponytail to grab, whip and helicopter around. She'd certainly be unique. Krystal from Star Fox would be nice too (since they seem to add a new Star Fox character every game) but basing her off Star Fox Adventures would make sure she isn't another clone.

I would love to see Ghirahim show up as a playable character. That'd be awesome. I wonder what they'll do with the Zelda characters. Each Smash Bros seems to base them off the most recent entry in the Zelda series and I wonder if they'll be based on Skyward Sword in #4. Link would be easy to do and you only have to change Ganondorf into Demise. With Zelda, her magic attacks would still fit her Skyward Sword look but instead of turning into Sheik, they could have her simply call Impa and 'tag out'.

Whatever they do though, I'm sure I'll love the game on Wii U and 3DS :D

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I think that Rob, Snake, Lucas, Olimar, Meta Knight, and Wario will be gone maybe more.
I would like to see Ganon, Snake, DDD, and Ice Climbers GONE. I don't really know exactly what I want in the new smash bros though...

If they drop Toon Link, I will flip out. I crushed all with him, my favorite character of the entire series, it woud be a shame if they remove him.

I'm sure they will remove R.O.B, and possibly Lucario. I didnt like Ice Climbers, Olimar or Meta Knight ( he was overly cheap ). However, I don't see any real reason to remove them or most to all of the other characters, but I'm sure they will. Wario was an awesome addition, I thought he was a solid character.

They could keep wolk if they gave him a proper moveset.. Which doesnt copy Falco's and Fox's....
And.. if Falco could get a moveset that doesnt copy Fox that would be great too.
But i guess changing the characters doesnt count as getting rid of them

I don't foresee most, if any, of the current unique characters being dropped. Certainly Lucario will be gone in favor of his replacement in the current Pokemon generation (which I believe would be Zoroark), but otherwise I think pretty much the entire unique roster should stay, and I think most will except for a handful of extraneous series extras, mainly Dedede and Ike, though I wouldn't consider either to be definite.

More, I just think that all "clones" should be dropped as full characters and instead made into special alternate costumes for the originals. So, drop Luigi and instead give Mario a special alternate costume (with its own set of alternate colors) that has Luigi's model, sounds, etc. Same for the Star Fox guys, and the Links. As a bonus, all vaguely similar characters could be included as special costumes, effectively making the roster much larger in terms of character representation, if not in terms of unique characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom