• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild [SPOILERS] BOTW Game Help

I get the Travel Medallion, place it near the Dias where you need, then go off and do other things. As soon as a Blood Moon starts I teleport back to the Medallion and strip off!

Hello there!

I'm new to this forum as I am to the Zelda universe. I have heard of The Legend of Zelda since many years ago and it kind of fascinated me, but it was only a few months ago that I finally purchased a Switch, and the Breath of the Wild game immediately after, as I had really wanted to play it. I began with high expectations and was impressed by it, and still am, but after dozens of hours of playing it, I feel that I am lost and kind of sad.

I seem to be getting around with difficulties, don't find it easy to solve puzzles and had to go to YouTube for some challenges, including the first elephant. I couldn't even get hold of my horse after finally managing to mount on, he kept going left or right not doing what I asked him and stopping every couple of meters until I left it there and continued by my own. Even in some shrines I had problems and just couldn't get resolve them. It seems like I am always a couple of steps behind and running around in circles.

All this made me feel downbeat, and to this contributed what I have seen on YouTube when looking for a solution, because Link looked completely different there, had other clothes, weapons, and many other things like that extra boost of energy when he runs that I didn't have at that point of the game.

I hope I won't get you guys bored with my message, but I really don't know what to do. Was I too ambitious when I started the game? Is it that I didn't understand its world and mechanics? Should I have went first with older Zelda titles to get more used to things and to really get that feel? Is there something that I am doing wrong? Maybe I should restart it? Any advice is welcome.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Well, the horse problem is just that you didn't train the horse yet. When you first catch a horse, they're disobedient because they're still wild. You need to soothe them with L when they misbehave. Once you register them at a stable and max their friendship (this process is super fast if you feed them apples) they will stop misbehaving.

As far as shrines and puzzles go, you just need to practice, I guess? You can start with any Zelda game in the series so BotW is as fine as any as a place to start. I'd just say take your time to learn the game's systems. Look for armor and experiment with cooking and ingredients. You'll get the hang of it in time.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
botw isn't all that representative of the average zelda game so I would say your experience with other zelda games might vary. You could always try Skyward Sword, which got a HD remaster on the switch

Well, the horse problem is just that you didn't train the horse yet. When you first catch a horse, they're disobedient because they're still wild. You need to soothe them with L when they misbehave. Once you register them at a stable and max their friendship (this process is super fast if you feed them apples) they will stop misbehaving.

As far as shrines and puzzles go, you just need to practice, I guess? You can start with any Zelda game in the series so BotW is as fine as any as a place to start. I'd just say take your time to learn the game's systems. Look for armor and experiment with cooking and ingredients. You'll get the hang of it in time.

You see, this is what I'm talking about. I got the soothing part, but for some reason it didn't work, but the registering thing and apple feeding I had no idea of. I don't remember being told this info during the game. The same with my progress during the game, I have the impression it's slow or that I'm skipping some steps without wanting it.

That's why I was saying I feel a bit downbeat about everything after the initial enthusiasm, I get the feeling that things don't fall into place or maybe it's just that I'm not made for this game.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
You see, this is what I'm talking about. I got the soothing part, but for some reason it didn't work, but the registering thing and apple feeding I had no idea of. I don't remember being told this info during the game. The same with my progress during the game, I have the impression it's slow or that I'm skipping some steps without wanting it.

That's why I was saying I feel a bit downbeat about everything after the initial enthusiasm, I get the feeling that things don't fall into place or maybe it's just that I'm not made for this game.
Yea Botw doesnt like telling you stuff to do...

BotW is kind of a sandbox in a lot of ways so it doesn't really tell you all of the things that you are able to do (and people are still discovering new things five years later), so there is certainly an aspect of just having an idea to try something, and trying it, and seeing if it does something. I... had a dumb dream a long time before the game released where Ganon made eggs for breakfast (I can't remember anything else about the dream) so I sure as heck was gonna try to drop eggs in the final bossfight...! It didn't do anything at all, sadly, but I HAD to try. Weird example, probably, but just stuff like that. Don't be afraid to try stuff.

Talking to NPCs, especially travellers, might offer some suggestions to get you started, but most of the stuff is figured out from the process of experimenting. The loading screen sometimes was how I learned I could do things as well. This more hands-off approach is probably in response to past titles being a little TOO hint-heavy but, once you kind of get the feel for how things work in BotW with trial and error, you'll probably not feel nearly as lost. Don't forget about your runes; there are only a couple of them so when in doubt, at least one of them probably holds an answer to a puzzle.

MW7

I think Breath of the Wild has a learning curve, and you will enjoy the game the more you put into it but it takes patience with yourself. Some things seem completely overwhelming the first time you encounter them, but once you are more familiar with the game, things become easier.

The horse mechanics aren't well explained I would agree, but you can see how you have already learned a lot through trial and error. I didn't even use a horse until I had played through the entire game four times, and I think I learned some things just from your post (never heard of apple feeding until right now).

The puzzles vary a lot in difficulty, but oftentimes I would find myself forgetting about a rune that I hadn't used in a while, and when I realized what I had overlooked, I felt stupid. Looking up how to solve some of the puzzles shouldn't discourage you as I'm sure lots of people have been stuck at virtually every puzzle before. It makes it even more rewarding when you can figure some of them out quickly once you are familiar with all the mechanics.

So you guys are saying I should just go ahead with it from the point I am at or maybe restart it from the beginning and do it with more patience and attention to all the elements around?

Or should I try Link's Awakening or Skyward Sword before returning to this?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
So you guys are saying I should just go ahead with it from the point I am at or maybe restart it from the beginning and do it with more patience and attention to all the elements around?

Or should I try Link's Awakening or Skyward Sword before returning to this?
If I were you I'd keep at it without restarting. By this point you've probably got a stash of materials and stuff and some map points to work with, so learning might be easier with that rather than just starting over. Just my thoughts tho.

it's a much more straightforward game with access to help and direction when you need it and also being a bit more indicative of what "normal" zelda games play like

Thanks!

There's one more thing I forgot to mention when I wrote that the way the game went so far lacked something for me and made me realize I am far from where I should be: after the first elephant, I have only five hearts and from the various YouTube videos I've watched, by that point of the game people have much more. This made me think that there have been many steps I have missed along the way.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thanks!

There's one more thing I forgot to mention when I wrote that the way the game went so far lacked something for me and made me realize I am far from where I should be: after the first elephant, I have only five hearts and from the various YouTube videos I've watched, by that point of the game people have much more. This made me think that there have been many steps I have missed along the way.
That's completely dependent on how many shrines you do and what you get from them. In the run I'm currently doing, I did Vah Ruta with three hearts. There's no measure of how many hearts you "should" have at any given moment, since it's entirely up to you where you go and what you get out of it. You don't have to do Ruta first, either. BotW is a game where you make your own steps. You aren't lacking anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom