• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Spirit Tracks

I know it came out all the way back in 2009, but I wanted to know everyone's opinions on it. It's one of my favorites, mainly because of the music and the interesting items. Did you all enjoy the bosses and dungeons? I know I did. I hope you enjoyed ST as much as I do!

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
Although Spirit Tracks was a great game like all Zelda gams it goes near the bottom of the list. The tower of spirits idea was cool and dungeons and bosses were done well, exept for Malladus though. The spirit flute and bunnys made me swear a cople of times but overall it was a cool game. The worst was the story, now at the start the story was great. We had battles and fighting and then it all left and we were left with nothing. Sigh, oh well. Zelda games are hard to rank but I would put MM OoT MC TWW over ST any day.

ChuChuOfTime

Fish. Citizen of Foo
It was all right not my favorite but fun, also does anybody else think it seemed short?

I really did like it. There was just so much to do.

The train was actually really enjoyable despite it sometimes being tedious it went really well with the setting and the music.
And Bunnies, Train Parts, Force Gems lots of collectable. (although i could never find the right treasures)

The dungeons and ToS also had allot of innovating things with them.

Not Forgetting the whip and sand wand of course.

Deffinately a great game but it still isn't in my top 5

geek4887

The Unknown
Well, Spirit Tracks was an amazing game in its own right, although it just couldn't stand up to the rest that the Zelda series has to offer. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Spirit Tracks, and in fact, it was what got me to the Zelda fan community, but after playing more of the series, well, it just didn't have enough to compete with, but I guess I could write a mini-article about it just to give you an idea about how I feel.

Presentation-wise, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks looked gorgeous for a Nintendo DS game. Sure, it ain't a PSP caliber graphic visual, but it still looked good. The cutscenes were really good, and IMO, were a one step up from Phantom Hourglass. The audio was really good, too. From the re-used melodies of Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks had an original soundtrack. Don't even get me started on the Overworld theme, as to it was just breathtaking.

Gameplay, well, it's a Zelda game, there's nothing really much to be said about here. The overall gameplay was similar to that of Spirit Tracks, although instead of scribbling circles to roll, it was simplified to a double tap. It's nothing major, but I guess I just wanted to point that out. Anyways, what makes this title unique is that the puzzles and dungeon designs were very different to the series. With a Phantom helping you out in the Tower of Spirits, it opened out new, and innovative ideas for puzzles. The combat system was a bit clunky with the Phantom, but it still operated pretty well, which allowed Link and the Phantom to move simultaneously. The Overworld travel system, sort of was a bit on the downside for me. I mean, I think it's a step back from what The Minish Cap did, with the just walking thing. I thought that they could have at least made the train optional in Spirit Tracks, but it's a small price to pay for this great game design. There are fun sidequests, like transporting people, and taking cargo to other people, it's REALLY fun.

Like I said, this would be a mini-article, so I guess this is where it ends. In conclusion, despite it's downs, the ups more than makes up for them. I really loved this game, and it still holds a special place in my heart for what brought me to this community. I really hope that people give this game a chance.
So...PEACE OUT! :yes:

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
personally, I liked ST alot. I thought it was a huge improvement from PH. There was good humor, i loved the soundtrack, and the boss battles and such were really fun. I did not enjoy the parts of the spirit tower where you are in the dark though.

personally, I liked ST alot. I thought it was a huge improvement from PH. There was good humor, i loved the soundtrack, and the boss battles and such were really fun. I did not enjoy the parts of the spirit tower where you are in the dark though.
I agree. The soundtrack is exceptional. Every single time I start it up, I'll put the sound on full. I hated that part of the Tower of Spirits too. It's hard using your boomerang to light torches that always go out. Oh wait, that's Link to the Past.

bobenstien

"How should I kill you?"

It was a HUGE improvment over PH! I hate getting the compass of light, it is hard and boring! The train thing is so much more helpful than the boat in PH. It was humorous and the bosses were OK, they could have been better, but PH was really fun! :)

View attachment 19966View attachment 19967

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Spirit Tracks and consider it the best hand-held Zelda title I've played (not counting remakes or Link's Awakening as I haven't played it yet). Despite looking mostly the same as Phantom Hourglass, ST had improved gameplay and story. The rolling was easier to initiate, and drawing the boomerang's route was much smoother. The story was much more original than PH's, which was somewhat bare to me. ST also had a very colorful world. While we couldn't explore every inch of the map, I felt that ST was more open than PH because of many more towns and side-quests. Over all, I really liked Spirit Tracks and I think it is the best hand-held yet.

zellinkda

one of many
i really liked spirit tracks and was really happy when i got it. i couldn't pry my eyes away from it! i just wish that i wasn't in such an awkward area. i really don't like riding the train, but i'm in the snow realm after i finished the game, and i'm all the way up in the corner.

I personally did not like Spirit Tracks, it was an amusing game to play, but the story didnt go as well as in previous titles.
Hyrule also got a bit to 'modern' for me, as it was normally set in a Medieval Setting the train was just too much, and the fact that Link wanted to become an engineer was just...yeah stupid.
And the half-train people and a boss that was an angry train just did not work for me.
I did like the flute though.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Spirit Tracks was my first ever handheld Zelda (I've never owned a Gameboy of any kind, so I am hoping all the GB titles will eventually be available to download on the DS, cause I really do wanna try them out) and despite being used to games like OoT, MM, TP etc, I really, really enjoyed Spirit Tracks. I really loved how Zelda took an active role in it. I thought the trains (albeit tedious at times traveling from place to place) was a fun new element. I loved how you uncovered new tracks little by little by doing all those side-quest. I genuinely had fun exploring the land (even with the train-traveling being as previously mentioned a bit tedious from time to time).

I haven't yet tried PH, but I will, so eventually I should be able to compare the games. I will probably be a bit biased being used to ST, though :P

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
ugggh PH, that was my first handheld Zelda lol

I absolutely loved it, because the temple of the ocean always had difficulty and suspense. But once I played Spirit Tracks like you have, it felt like a giant load was lifted from my shoulders. :D

If you want to play it for the sake of storyline and just experiencing it, I really suggest it. But if its to have the most funtastic time on a rainy day... Twilight Princess really just does that.

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks is by far the most handheld Zelda game. From its fantastic dungeons to unmatched soundtrack, Spirit Tracks has it all. The bosses really stand out in Spirit Tracks. Similar to Phantom Hourglass, bosses are massive and take up two screens. Spirit Tracks, however, has better designed boss battles. Cragma and Skeldritch come to mind here. In the Fire Temple, you ride a mine cart as shoot Cragma's glowing weak spots. The boss comes crumbling down and Link slashes its brains out. Skeldritch perfectly fits the puzzle theme of the Sand Temple. As Link, players must stop his oncoming boulders with the Sand Wand and throw them back at him. This may seem easy in concept but is very difficult in application. The sound track of the game should also be praised. The Forest them particularly is stuck in the player's mind for days afterwards. Despite its critics, Spirit Tracks is full of content. From a survival challenge to fun sidequests and minigames to an amazing multiplayer mide, Spirit Tracks is a fulfillment of handheld Zelda and pushes the franchise to new heights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom