• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Speedrun" Vs. Pacing Yourself

Linksister82

Setterwind
Wondering what y'all prefer. The first time I play a game I like to take my time and really feel it out. Then, after I have beaten it, I will go back and see how fast I can actually do it all. I know some people like to get it beaten as quickly as possible. I don't see how you can get much enjoyment out of that but far be it from me to knock it. What do you think? Take your time then speed through later or speed through it first?

Last edited:

MW7

I tend to go moderately quickly by my own standards through a game the first time. I don't tend to spend a lot of time in one place but try to see all of the game's content on the first playthrough. On subsequent playthroughs I focus more on speed, but sometimes I slow down to test things out. For instance when I figured out that I could skip the goron tunic and the bolero of fire in Ocarina of Time, that particular playthrough took longer than normal because I had to figure it out as I went. Another good example was when I first beat Ocarina of Time without the Lens of Truth.

On first playthroughs though I probably tend to waste more time overall though. For instance my first playthrough of Skyward Sword I spent quite a while on the sidequests, and one play session I just played Thrill Digger for almost two hours. I really see the fun in both playing slow and playing fast so I switch it up over time. My first playthrough is generally more in between though. In general though I'd say speed through later is better than first. I do some things quickly on a first playthrough, but I know there's no way playing through a game the first time would be as fast as playing through once you're familiar with the game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
First time through most games nowadays, I try to do a "speedrun", that is, just getting through the game without paying any attention to the details. Why? Well, I usually spoil most games for myself so I generally know the plot details beforehand therefore I don't pay attention to story. And, sometimes, I watch some gameplay or two so I technically already have a feel for the gameplay. Only thing left is level design, and I don't tend to sit and stare at the graphics all that much (unless it's especially gorgeous, like Final Fantasy XIII's Gran Pulse).

I don't have a problem going at a slower pace, it's just that I usually have everything "new" about the game already in my noggin before even playing the game.

During my first run through a game, I usually do it pretty quickly, without getting extra stuff. On my second or third playthrough, though, I usually take my time to get as much of the extras that I can.

I take my time with games the first time I play them. I've never actually attempted a ''speedrun'' of a game. I usually don't go back and play through a single player game that I've already completed very often for whatever reason. There are a few exceptions of course, namely Zelda games and others that I really enjoy and have some form of nostalgia for.

Fig

The Altruist
Whenever I play a game for the first time, I always take my time, always trying to look for the best strategies and items, without trying to hurting myself (or character in this case). What I mean by that, is that I try to allow the least amount of damage as I'm playing any game for the first. When I play a game that I already played a second time (i.e. Hero Mode is primarily the same as the normal quest, with a few adjustments), I speed run like Sonic the Hedgehog! I tend to complete any game in this method within 3-5 days since the start of the second run through.

The first time through a game I go through the game at my own pace figuring out what I need to do and just exploring until i finish the game. The second and third and so on times through I actually go SLOWER because I go through and get every item and every secret I can because I love completing games 100%.

Linksister82

Setterwind
I've never done a real "speedrun" before either. I mean I can get through ALTTP pretty quick but that's just because I have beaten it so many times. I haven't ever timed myself on it or actually tried to do it super fast to beat any other person's record before.

I never speed run, though I've played Twilight Princess so many times that its hard not to burn through it and end with most of the heart pieces and upgrades. And as a rule i like to do side-quests last becuase it makes the game last that little bit longer. Like in Wind waker when i waited until i had finished the game to fill in the map and go treasure hunting. <3

For new games I usually just run wit the main story and leave the side-quests alone until the end of the game because i'm always more interested in the overarching story of the game. Though with games like Majora's Mask I did take some time out of the main quest after the first dungeon to horde some heart pieces and upgrades because the difficulty level was so high in that game. I remember the first time i tried to take on two Dodongos and I had to run or die, i felt like such a failure that day and had to suck it up.

In relation to Skyward Sword though I ended my first play through with all but two heart pieces left to find and even then i knew where they were, and i also had most of the upgrading done and only had 5 gratitude crystals to find. It really robbed the game of its reply value for me, but i guess it can be seen as a good thing that it integrated most of its side-quests into the main thread of play, but then again they didnt feel like side-quests because SS as a whole just felt like one long one.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I always pace myself.
I mean, what would I be rushing for?
Speedruns come after I've finished the game a few times, and where I think I can challenge myself.
Otherwise I play the game at a pace that suits me.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I really dislike to do speedruns and minimalist runs. For me, playing a Zelda game means seeing things through Link's eyes -- I really want to feel like I'm actually in the game. I need to experience everything at a steady pace. That being said, I like to go 100% rather than the other way around. Speedrunning things like the Boss Rush in Skyward Sword are alright, but I'd never speenrun a whole game.

This only applies for Zelda games though. :)

Amen. Zelda games are meant to 100%. If you ever watch Ocarina of Time speed runs the game becomes so corrupted it's terrible...

I never do speedruns of any game. I always play games quite slowly, and this is especially true for RPGs. If a guide says the recommended level is 15 for a boss, I'll go to 20 or higher. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom