• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art Sparks

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Sparks were a writing exercise done in my Grade 11 English class that worked like so: A word, phrase, or sentence was written on the board, and you had to use what was written as inspiration to write a creative writing composition within 5-10 minutes. They didn't have to be of any particular length, but some of them are longer than others. The title of each Spark is the word or phrase that was used for the inspiration. I just came home from university for the weekend, and I decided I would upload some of my Sparks to the forum that I was always so eager to share with the class.

"Dictionary" December 9th, 2009

Dictionary. A word so profound, containing every other word in itself. A word so profound, that it can not be defined, because it is forever changing. The meaning of the word dictionary is so large, it would require some sort of book to explain the phenomenon. To fully define dictionary, one must define every word in existence, including dictionary. Therefore, the dictionary must have an accompanying volume to describe dictionary, and said volume must also explain the word dictionary, and another volume is required for that; to define dictionary, one must define every word in existence. I've been reading the dictionary for 68 years now; I'm on the 114th volume in the infinite part series. I pay for each dictionary as it arrives. I shouldn't have bought the dictionary, and I never should have decided to read the whole thing. I must say, it seems to be repeating itself.

"Unwelcome Present" March 23rd, 2010

My little old grandmother slowly passed the slender, tightly-wrapped package into my hand. I know this shape; these same dimensions --unmistakeable. It's a video game. I then remember that it's from my grandmother. As I hesitantly unwrap the rectangular packaging, I find myself struggling not to cringe. And there it is.
She starts to speak; "I asked the store clerk game everyone was playing, and he told me to get this one."
"...Modern Warfare 2? Honestly?"
"Yes... do you like it?"
"... Do I like... it? Everyone is playing this game. Millions. Do you honestly think that I'm going to conform to the masses and become another sheep in the heard? This game is popular, you miserable old hag!"
She began to tremble, almost whimper. "What... are you saying?"
"I am not playing another generic shooter! It's exactly the same as the one before it, and soon the one after!" I threw the box to the floor, with a resounding crash. "You archaic, spineless crone!"
The game shattered as I plunged my foot through the box, fragments of the disc sticking out, jaggedly stabbing at the air. I scowl at her as I tell the sobbing woman to get the hell out of the house. I then sit down and resume my game of Halo 3.

*Note*: Fortunately not based on true events.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
The goal for this spark was to find a phrase from MacBeth and use it to inspire a piece of creative writing; I chose the phrase "Make thick my blood."

Make Thick My Blood April 13, 2010

The American gets what he dost demand;
Cheeseburger, fries, and milkshake
Brought mouthward with a steady hand.
Nary a thing can stop th' intake.
He approaches the window where one does pay
And swipes the bag of fatty crud.
The cashier, with a smile, bids good day,
as the American shouts, "You make thick my blood!"

In another MacBeth-themed spark, we had to choose a line from Act 2, Scene 2; I chose the line "and wash the filthy witness from your hand." This is a whimsical little piece that's full of alliteration and literary sound devices, to almost emulating the style of a book for children. The catch to this one is that the line is taken in a completely literal sense; see if you can catch it.

Howard The Homeless Homunculus April 22, 2010

Howard the homeless homunculus was a nomad of sorts. 'Twas Tuesday when he decided to doze off, his bed some peculiar peach-coloured migratory lump. He woke amidst a mist, and what appeared to be seaspray splashed sporadically 'round him. The torrent tore the tent to tatters, and o'erflowed towards Howard. Diminutive but daring, he brought his umbrella, and Howard hoisted it headward. The foaming force caused the the umbrella to crumple inwards, and entrapped his head. His muffled mutterings muted, he tumbled through the drain. Henceforth, Howard the homeless homunculus is known as Howard the Seafaring Sprite.

Note: A homunculus refers to a tiny person, such as Tom Thumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom