• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sonic SatAM... is Overrated

I'm aware that there are good shows anyone can enjoy, from Avatar: The Last Airbender to Gargoyles, and there are bad shows that anybody can be sickened by, like ProStars, but at the same time there are those shows that people are usually mixed about. I still see people who don't like The Spectacular Spider-Man for really dumb reasons, I have a friend who still doesn't like Batman: The Brave and The Bold because he thinks it's like Batman & Robin, and of course there are people who actually like The Zelda Cartoon for reasons I can't understand nor am I going to try to understand because such a concept would break my brain and set it on fire for being too illogical to me.

However, there are shows that we can dislike that everyone else loves. In this case, the number one show I dislike but everyone else seems to like is Sonic SatAM.

Let me just say this before SatAM fanatics come after me, I did not watch this show when it was on television. I didn't even know it existed until I was about to enter college. By that time I was more interested in the video games than cartoons based on them, but I eventually decided to watch some of it, mostly because of the Nostalgia Critic talking about it in his review of it and Adventures of Sonic, which I did see.

And... I didn't see what people were talking. I didn't think it sucked, but I didn't see how it was any good... at least to me.

So, what is it that I thought made it overrated? Well, for starters, I'm not really that fond of Jaleel White's voice of Sonic, but I will say that he's not THAT annoying. I manage to sit through it. Also, I didn't find Robotnik that scary, I actually found him entertaining. Maybe it's due to Jim Cummings doing the voice, but even before he became more goofy, I didn't find him scary, I found him kind of hilarious. (I CAN'T TAKE HIM SERIOUSLY WITH THAT SUPER MARIO WORLD CAPE! XD) Also, one of my two biggest gripes is the overusage of original characters. Aside from Bunnie Rabbot, I didn't find any of the characters that engaging, funny or interesting. Dulcy was annoying, Antoine was lame, Rotor was... just there, and Sally... I'm sorry, I don't like Sally. She continuously kept going through her whole "I'm not good enough" phase and was more of the focus of the show than Sonic was. In fact, that's my biggest issue, what did the show actually have to do with Sonic the Hedgehog? Honestly, if you replaced the title character, Tails and Robotnik, you'd have the same show. I honestly wouldn't look at a 2D sidescroller about a blue hedgehog fighting a fat scientist and his army of robots while looking for magic gems in a very cartoonish world with a sense of attitude and think Terminator-esque freedom fighting. Then again, I didn't look at the original NES Zelda and think "Californian teen stereotype with an annoying catchphrase" either.

Whether or not you agree with me, I just felt like voicing my own thoughts on this cartoon. If you like it, great, more power to you, but to me, there are better shows that came after and frankly there were better before it. (Please don't troll me for it, I get enough of it from DeviantArt) Does anyone else share my belief on this show being overrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom