• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Song of Storms Question

B

boomerang

I haven't finished the game yet (Ocarina of Time) so sorry if this question is resolved but in any case the question is: where does the song of storms come from?
you get song from the windmill keeper, but the windmill keeper claims that he heard it from you, seven years ago. then you go back to the past and play the song to him. Isn't this a causality paradox? where does the song really originate from? Link and the windmill keeper can't teach it to each other.

(I realize there is probably no answer to this question I'm just fascinated by stuff like this)

This reminds me of back to the future. I remember thinking the same thing about some of the events there. My guess is don't think too hard on it. Maybe someone has a neat explanation.

McBlizzy

Happy Mask Salesgirl
Well if memory serves... I believe the Windmill keeper was already playing the Song of Storms when you first walk in as a kid. I think it's just when you go back as a kid and play it on the Ocarina it causes the windmill to empty and that's the whole reason why the song became significant.

OR, dealing with your Paradox theory.

When you're an adult you learn it from the Keeper, go back in time and play it for him. But since you went back in time and played it for him, he would already have known it so he could teach you it in the future. It's one of those things that's already been done that you're supposed to do. Like in the Twilight Princess when you're outside the Temple of Time there an old treasure chest already opened. Even if you don't go and get it in the Temple of Time it still remains open in the present because you were supposed to get it while you were back in time, so it's already been done.

Let me know if this makes any sense whatsoever ^^'

The song was made by Flat and Sharp the Composer Brothers. Although they lived in Termina, young link learned it there then went back on his quest in OoT were he played the song in the Windmill. Then, Guruguru teaches you the song in the future again. It is sort of a paradox, but it makes more sence than it seems.

S

Sturgeon

Isn't this a causality paradox?

Yes. The next paragraph I will write will kinda be a spoiler, so don't read it unless you really want to know my opinion which may also be the answer.

First of all, when you meet the Windmill man in the future, it hints towards you that you shall go back in time and play the song again for him. Doing this will open access into the well, so you can get the Lens of Truth, which is important to progress through the game.

So, how I see it, there is no answer to this. There are options, but they are practically denied by parts of the game. Like this theory:

As Link moves forward in time, he duplicates, leaving one copy in the past, and one in the future. As YL (young Link) does his in the past, it changes the way the future is laid out. So older Link learns the Song of Storms from the Windmill Man, and goes back to the past and plays it for him there, as YL is deleted due to OL going back before the duplicate was created.

ENDED due to giant spoilers, lolz.
What denies this theory is that from what I remember, (I haven't played the game in a while) is that Sheik or whoever says to Link that he is the Hero and that he has been sleeping in the ToT for 7 years. This ruins the theory above, which I mean is a pretty good theory. Come back when you have finished the game, and I can explain the theory further.

The song was made by Flat and Sharp the Composer Brothers. Although they lived in Termina, young link learned it there then went back on his quest in OoT were he played the song in the Windmill. Then, Guruguru teaches you the song in the future again. It is sort of a paradox, but it makes more sence than it seems.

Sorry dude, timeline theories denies it. [IMO, and I think it makes sense]

[SPOILERS]
As Zelda sends Link back to his own time, Ganondorf is sealed in the Twilight Realm, because Link (who has started his adventure) tells Zelda about Ganon, because Link's memory is not depleted. Zelda warns the Sages, who seal him there. (TP logic) Then Link wanders off to Termina, and goes on his own little adventure. The whole 'Zelda sends Link back in time' creates the split timeline.

Kungfuyu24

Metanna! Nurunna!
Nah, maybe the Link from Oracle of Seasons learned it from the Phonograph that the Windmill man gave to him. :)

Anyway, yes it is a paradox, but it's pretty funny.

Dagoth Ur

Do a barrel roll
That just adds to the mysticism of the song. It didnt originate. It just IS! Time paradox's are amazing to ponder. The scene at the end where link meets up with zelda in the garden sort of made me think that link was caught in a time loop where he had to do his quest thousands of times. but then majora came out so i suppose he just lives in a parallel past where ganon ceases to exist.....who knows.

B

boomerang

thanks for the responses. mostly what I figured or guessed. I just think its pretty awesome, one of things I love about the game. it makes you think
I love paradoxes

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Well if memory serves... I believe the Windmill keeper was already playing the Song of Storms when you first walk in as a kid. I think it's just when you go back as a kid and play it on the Ocarina it causes the windmill to empty and that's the whole reason why the song became significant.

OR, dealing with your Paradox theory.

When you're an adult you learn it from the Keeper, go back in time and play it for him. But since you went back in time and played it for him, he would already have known it so he could teach you it in the future. It's one of those things that's already been done that you're supposed to do. Like in the Twilight Princess when you're outside the Temple of Time there an old treasure chest already opened. Even if you don't go and get it in the Temple of Time it still remains open in the present because you were supposed to get it while you were back in time, so it's already been done.

Let me know if this makes any sense whatsoever ^^'

I think these are the most plausible answers. Mainly the first one. The Ocarina of Time is an incredibly powerful magical item. If you simply play the song of storms, nothing happens, but if you play it on that specific ocarina, weird things happen. That's why when you first learn it, the windmill reacts to it even though you're adult Link. Because you're playing it on the Ocarina.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom