• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Something I missed about the White Sword

I've been told that I should bring my theories to Reddit...

• Do it!

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Don't bother.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • What's Reddit?

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
After watching an info recap, I was reminded of an old theory I had proposed about the Magic Sword.

The theory was that the Magic Sword, from Zelda 1 and 2, was an attempt at remaking the Master Sword, or at least copying it. At the time, the theory was just based on how similar the abilities were, and a way to explain why Link doesn't use the Master Sword, which wouldn't be introduced until a later game. (It also suggests that something happened to the Master Sword before the events of the original. Broken, de-powered, lost, etc.)

This was before seeing evidence of attempts at replicating the Master sword's powers, in the Royal Guard weapons in Breath of the Wild.

I had also missed (wile making the original theory) the part in Skyward Sword, where the Goddess Sword becomes a white sword before becoming the Master Sword.

Seeing now that replicating the power of the Master Sword is a thing, and that a white sword is likely a purified stage in the process that made the Master Sword, I think it's worth revisiting the idea that the Magic Sword was a remake of the Master Sword. (I am also leaning towards the Master Sword being exhausted of power, and needing a recharge during the events of Zelda 1 & 2.)

My current thoughts are that both the White Sword and the Magic Sword are part of the same process. One person creates the purified White Sword, then another turns it into the powered up Magic Sword, and Link is delivering the White Sword so that it can be improved. this is also why Link doesn't keep both the White and Magic Swords.

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo (I have my card)
ZD Champion
A neat idea is that Link took the Magic Sword or White Sword, and upgraded it, giving it to a fairy in a pool who forged it a new, which fits the Lady of the Lake Arthurian angle, that The Master Sword is Hyrule’s Exalibur.

I do recall in ALTTP the Fairy upgrades The Master Sword (fourth sword), the third being the Black Smith that tempers it orange.

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Legend
After watching an info recap, I was reminded of an old theory I had proposed about the Magic Sword.

The theory was that the Magic Sword, from Zelda 1 and 2, was an attempt at remaking the Master Sword, or at least copying it. At the time, the theory was just based on how similar the abilities were, and a way to explain why Link doesn't use the Master Sword, which wouldn't be introduced until a later game. (It also suggests that something happened to the Master Sword before the events of the original. Broken, de-powered, lost, etc.)

This was before seeing evidence of attempts at replicating the Master sword's powers, in the Royal Guard weapons in Breath of the Wild.

I had also missed (wile making the original theory) the part in Skyward Sword, where the Goddess Sword becomes a white sword before becoming the Master Sword.

Seeing now that replicating the power of the Master Sword is a thing, and that a white sword is likely a purified stage in the process that made the Master Sword, I think it's worth revisiting the idea that the Magic Sword was a remake of the Master Sword. (I am also leaning towards the Master Sword being exhausted of power, and needing a recharge during the events of Zelda 1 & 2.)

My current thoughts are that both the White Sword and the Magic Sword are part of the same process. One person creates the purified White Sword, then another turns it into the powered up Magic Sword, and Link is delivering the White Sword so that it can be improved. this is also why Link doesn't keep both the White and Magic Swords.
Hey sounds like a reasonable theory. I am down for it. Do you have any info, lore, or anything that is kinda in friction of what you are proposing?

Hey sounds like a reasonable theory. I am down for it. Do you have any info, lore, or anything that is kinda in friction of what you are proposing?
The only push back I remember, was that Zelda 1 & 2 came out before the Master Sword was introduced, and likely conceived of. They basically thought of the Magic Sword as the Master Sword. Nothing that used in universe lore.

A neat idea is that Link took the Magic Sword or White Sword, and upgraded it, giving it to a fairy in a pool who forged it a new, which fits the Lady of the Lake Arthurian angle, that The Master Sword is Hyrule’s Exalibur.

I do recall in ALTTP the Fairy upgrades The Master Sword (fourth sword), the third being the Black Smith that tempers it orange.
I can see that. Especially with the revelation in TotK that the Master sword gets stronger by absorbing holy energy.

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo (I have my card)
ZD Champion
The only push back I remember, was that Zelda 1 & 2 came out before the Master Sword was introduced, and likely conceived of. They basically thought of the Magic Sword as the Master Sword. Nothing that used in universe lore.

I can see that. Especially with the revelation in TotK that the Master sword gets stronger by absorbing holy energy.
A way it could work is like Narsil and Anduril (The Lord of the Rings), Magic Sword being Narsil that breaks, and Anduril is The Master Sword.

I mean its easy to say it is the same sword, even had the same initials MS. You could say it simply was called another name over ignorance, that people called it The Magic Sword, however by ALTTP it is discovered it is The Master Sword or perhaps in being reforged it became so; what is the gap between Zelda I and II to ALTTP?

This however does not work for The Magic Shield, it having a cross is evidently not The Hylian Shield. Though you could argue The Mirror Shield is The Magic Shield, both have red, and the crescent and the cross have some interesting overlap in Medieval Spain and El Cid’s Arms & Armor.

In this case,
A way it could work is like Narsil and Anduril (The Lord of the Rings), Magic Sword being Narsil that breaks, and Anduril is The Master Sword.

I mean its easy to say it is the same sword, even had the same initials MS. You could say it simply was called another name over ignorance, that people called it The Magic Sword, however by ALTTP it is discovered it is The Master Sword or perhaps in being reforged it became so; what is the gap between Zelda I and II to ALTTP?

This however does not work for The Magic Shield, it having a cross is evidently not The Hylian Shield. Though you could argue The Mirror Shield is The Magic Shield, both have red, and the crescent and the cross have some interesting overlap in Medieval Spain and El Cid’s Arms & Armor.
It would follow better if the Master Sword were Narsil, being that chronologically, ALttP comes before Z1 & 2.

I could dig the the Magic Shield being a Mirror shield. Some renditions of it do have a reflective surface, though none from canon sources, to my knowledge.

The white sword was reforged from the Piccori Blade in The Minish Cap and is later refined into the Four Sword. I was reading a bit about this today and I'm just introducing context.
Right. Another example of what could be a purified blade, ready to be transformed into something more powerful.

Just in terms of tracking swords; the Goddess Sword and the Four Sword were both White Swords at one point, and the White Sword and the Noble Sword are still White Swords. That leaves the Magical Sword, Phantom Sword and Lokomo Sword; it would make lots of sense if these blades, too, were at one point White Swords.

The Noble Sword from OoX and White Sword from Z1 are probably the same blade. The Magical Sword could be from the alternate timeline where the Broken Noble Sword was, in fact, the Broken Master Sword? Or, if you think that the Master Sword in the Lost Woods is not the true Master Sword, perhaps that is the Magical Sword? In any event, I don't think the White Sword as presented in OoX is a precursor to the Magical Sword in Z1, but the Magical Sword could be another blade that has been leveled up from a White Sword.

Sounds about right.

The Magical Sword could be from the alternate timeline where the Broken Noble Sword was, in fact, the Broken Master Sword? Or, if you think that the Master Sword in the Lost Woods is not the true Master Sword, perhaps that is the Magical Sword?

All with their possibilities. I'm leaning towards the Master Sword being in a de-powered state, and being kept in it's recharge dock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom