• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Someone actually thinks LoZ is racist

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
I don't think Zelda is racist, but I do think media in general goes along with cultural conventions with certain racial subtexts to them.

I think there's a lot of subtle stereotyping that lots of decent people go along with because it seems natural and they don't examine it. It's not because they're bad people or hate other races. It's an honest oversight.

Link has blonde hair, blue eyes and white skin. Ganon is dark-skinned and lives in a desert.

Did Nintendo intentionally do this because they were racist? No. They just subconsciously went along with the common norm in media of having white heroes and foreigners as villains - like so many other film makers and game developers have done.

But to outright say there is zero racial subtext is equally as ignorant as claiming Nintendo is racist.

Last edited:

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
The author of the article had a few good points in his article, but really just resorted to using buzzwords, sensationalism and personal attacks in order to gain attention.

"Perhaps we should just be thankful that Link doesn’t speak, because if he did we’d hear him call Ganondorf “******” more times than the word is used in Django Unchained."

Seriously?!?

Do I agree Zelda is ethnocentric toward Western culture (despite it being made in Japan)? Yes.

Do I agree with the author's approach? HELL NO.

The author of the article had a few good points in his article, but really just resorted to using buzzwords, sensationalism and personal attacks in order to gain attention.

"Perhaps we should just be thankful that Link doesn’t speak, because if he did we’d hear him call Ganondorf “******” more times than the word is used in Django Unchained."

Seriously?!?

Do I agree Zelda is ethnocentric toward Western culture (despite it being made in Japan)? Yes.

Do I agree with the author's approach? HELL NO.

How do you think Kanye West would review the article?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
images

He looks green to me...

Ya know, I don't think I've ever seen Hylians ever defined by skin or eye color. As far as I know, they're only defined by the pointy ears. (Which Ganondorf has also had in a game or two.) It's also worth noting that the same game that introduced the gerudo also gave us Nabooru.

I can kinda see how one might make some sort of assumption that it's an elves vs. barbarians DnD thing at first glance, but from what I've seen, only Link and Zelda have that Blonde hair/Blue eyes thing going, and even they don't have that in every game.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I honestly think there are different races to depict different sides, and its an easy way to tell by looking. That article is dumb. Is Mario racist to goobas because he jumps on their head or is Bowser racist towards Italians?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom