• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

So what would a post-atomic Hyrule be like?

As in a Version of Hyrule that was created in the aftermath of a nuclear war, not to dissimilar to the origin of the Land of Ooo from the "Adventure Time" cartoon series?

Great_Mushroom_War.gif

For me, I already got the thing figured out:
Hyrule3.png
The dull greyish green denotes the nuclear wasteland...

There never was any goddesses and never was any magic. All of it was just advanced technology and science that that a less advanced people viewed as magic. Even the more fantastical creatures such as the non-human races and the monsters wandering the land are either experiments from before the war or are mutants.

The Goddesses were a series of AI that restored part of a ravaged Earth which was misconstrued into a creation myth. As for Link and Zelda, They were experiments intended to be some kind of contingency where they were to lead Humanity in the post war.

Ganon on the other hand has an origin similar to Adventure Time's Lich. That being he was created from a detonation from the niggest and baddest bomb dropped in the war.

Like how do you think a Zelda setting of this nature could be handled in a hypothetical game?

I could also see this going back to the old idea of the Triforce originally being a series of computer chips instead of magical relics.

Last edited:

Ashley the Witch

Monster: A word used to discriminate the unknown.
ZD Champion
As in a Version of Hyrule that was created in the aftermath of a nuclear war, not to dissimilar to the origin of the Land of Ooo from the "Adventure Time" cartoon series?

Great_Mushroom_War.gif

For me, I already got the thing figured out:
View attachment 77486
The dull greyish green denotes the nuclear wasteland...

There never was any goddesses and never was any magic. All of it was just advanced technology and science that that a less advanced people viewed as magic. Even the more fantastical creatures such as the non-human races and the monsters wandering the land are either experiments from before the war or are mutants.

The Goddesses were a series of AI that restored part of a ravaged Earth which was misconstrued into a creation myth. As for Link and Zelda, They were experiments intended to be some kind of contingency where they were to lead Humanity in the post war.

Ganon on the other hand has an origin similar to Adventure Time's Lich. That being he was created from a detonation from the niggest and baddest bomb dropped in the war.

Like how do you think a Zelda setting of this nature could be handled in a hypothetical game?

I could also see this going back to the old idea of the Triforce originally being a series of computer chips instead of magical relics.
I just have one question. How is a country including the Gerudo that can't even understand its own technology, create a nuclear bomb and detonate it?

Haha so true. Hyrule would need to get a lot more advanced to create a nuclear bomb. I suppose you could write an evil Zonai has something equivalent.
for my own take, it's set on IRL Earth, and try to guess what Cold War Flashpoint set off this AU.

Ashley the Witch

ZD Champion
The bit about link and zelda makes me think maze runner

It's still a bit generic but I like the idea that things we perceived as magic and mysticism are grounded in this world's physical laws
I always say this myself that magic is just science that can't be explained or even understood.

The bit about link and zelda makes me think maze runner

It's still a bit generic but I like the idea that things we perceived as magic and mysticism are grounded in this world's physical laws
i also had this concept in mind for this setting where only the Royal Family and a select group of Sheikah and Hylian scholars are the only ones who know about the old world. Other "elder" characters such as the great deku tree being unreliable narrators to the true origins of the world as they were created after the apocalypse and thus have no memories of the world before.

Like imagine this under Hyrule Castle:
511262.jpg

a massive repository of old world relics and knowledge collected from countless expeditions into the ruined cities. Salvaged from museums, archives and libraries.

Ashley the Witch

ZD Champion
i also had this concept in mind for this setting where only the Royal Family and a select group of Sheikah and Hylian scholars are the only ones who know about the old world. Other "elder" characters such as the great deku tree being unreliable narrators to the true origins of the world as they were created after the apocalypse and thus have no memories of the world before.

Like imagine this under Hyrule Castle:
511262.jpg

a massive repository of old world relics and knowledge collected from countless expeditions into the ruined cities. Salvaged from museums, archives and libraries.
This is starting to sound more like fan fiction. You should write a book about it, and put it in writing. Just a suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom