• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

So Nintendo is Going Mobile ( Kinda)

Nintendo is gona revival a rather unique Strategy for their games to be on mobile gaming, However not games in full.
According to this website Nintendo will release a Mobile app that will allow people to play demos of Nitendo games and Mini Games, while the Full games will still be on the 3DS and WII U.
This will be interesting to see, due to the fact that their are Nintendo emulators on tablets ( though on screen controls suck) and that they are now on Apple's territory. this is a risky move but it may pay off in the long term by reaching out to the millions of tablet gamers who may not know about Nintendo games.
Some may call this Nintendo Being desperate, but hey if Microsoft can pay off youtubers to say nice things about the XB1. then why not Nintendo venturing off to new territory to pull people their way by trying their games?. after all if right it may boost sales for both the 3DS and WII U but only if they do this right.
so what do you think. is this a good idea and will it work, or is this a sign of Nintendo being desperate and this is going to fail.

Just me thinking, it seems that Nintendo are trolling the people who wants them to go Mobile by releasing only Demos. this will also help advertize not only the 3DS but also the WII U, and their games.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I remember hearing about this not too long ago, and I'm really surprised that Nintendo is doing it. Not because I think it's suicidal, but because I think it's brilliant. This will allow these casual gamers that eat up the mobile market to be given a taste of what Nintendo franchises have to offer for FREE, creating incentive for them to buy their products so that they can get the full experience.

After all the incredibly outdated business moves they've made over the recent years... I'm actually extremely impressed they came up with this.

Has Nintendo confirmed this, No.

Do I believe this, No.

Um... yes they have. Iwata himself has talked about it. XD

First, few people will care to download the demo. You can emulate up to a DS or a Wii on newer phones. DS emulation is already 100% speed with few glitches while Wii emulator right now is a bit slow, but will soon be completely usable. Sure, the controls aren't too good on touchscreen emulators, but you still can get full games for free. Why would people even bother downloading the demo, when they could already get full Nintendo experiences on their devices? The games might be one generation behind, but at least they're full experiences.

These supposed Demos are for 3DS and Wii U games, not anything below. The aim of this is to Market 3DS and Wii U games and possibly provide demos of those games. It's better to legally provide these current Gen games in demo form than trying to play them illegally.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!

Clank

Hmm
:lol:

This is a ridiculously gross misinterpretation. Iwata never said in the past that they weren't going to go with the strategy reported in this thread, but that they weren't going to put their ACTUAL GAMES on mobile devices. Come on, bro. Connect the dots.

Okay, first of I fail to see what about
Mr. Iwata has also stated that Nintendo's intention is not to make Nintendo software available on smart devices and as such, we can confirm that there are no plans to offer mini-games on smartphone devices.
isn't clear, but let's pretend that it wasn't there.

It would take so many countless hours to port the games(how many different engines do they use) and all their little gimmicks to mobile devices, that if you didn't release a full game then you would have wasted so much money, that's my main point.

My secondary point is this, yes I do believe Nintendo will foray into the mobile market, however not with "Nintendo" software, rather what would be a really smart move(vs. the move suggested here which I think would be kind-of dumb for them to do) is something like what Sony did with R&C.

What they did(which I actually think was pretty smart) was they released this app, the thing about this app is that the game-play is quite different from the actual game, I mean it is still a fun game, but it isn't how "real" R&C is played.
Thus they have eliminated the issue of having to port an engine to just release one or two levels, however the most ingenious thing about this app is the fact that you can collect Raritarium in it which can be synced with R&C:ITN, so saying someone downloads this app and plays it for a bit, they will probably(well first off have a lot of fun) collect a decent amount of Raritarium, then logically at least some people will be like, well I have a lot of Raritarium, I might as well buy the actual game now.

But who knows, I can't see the future, so what do I know...

If anything, seeing these so-called "demos" on mobile devices will probably give developers the drive to want to develop [better, faster] emulators for the aforementioned mobile devices.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
If anything, seeing these so-called "demos" on mobile devices will probably give developers the drive to want to develop [better, faster] emulators for the aforementioned mobile devices.

That... would be completely irrelevant. There aren't any emulators for current gen hardware, and there won't be for a very long-*** time. I also have my doubts that the casual market even knows what emulators are.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
About time! Nintendo's problems with the Wii U can be traced back to a pretty simple thing; Nintendo just not reading the market correctly. They did it amazingly well with the Wii, I saw Wii adverts all over TV and so many people I know had a Wii and no other game platform, and the Wii U feels like the shock opposite. It's about time Nintendo stopped being stuck in their ways and realise there's so many things to do now and not everything bar "Put our games on our systems" will be a detriment to their business as a whole.

I hope they don't squander the mobile market and just use it as a dumping ground like some companies do. That'll not do them any favours. I think Square's a good example of how a mobile strategy should be, except the games shouldn't somehow get worse while being improved. ;) If they dodge that bullet, I'd be a happy duckling!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I hope they don't squander the mobile market and just use it as a dumping ground like some companies do.

This statement implies you don't know what their plan actually is. They're not becoming like Squenix where they're releasing full-fledged games on mobile devices. They're releasing mini demos of their franchises to garner interest in them from the mobile market. I'm not sure if this means short snippets of their 3DS and Wii U games, or short "games" made specifically for mobile devices, but they're not going gung-ho, diving in headfirst.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
This statement implies you don't know what their plan actually is. They're not becoming like Squenix where they're releasing full-fledged games on mobile devices. They're releasing mini demos of their franchises to garner interest in them from the mobile market. I'm not sure if this means short snippets of their 3DS and Wii U games, or short "games" made specifically for mobile devices, but they're not going gung-ho, diving in headfirst.

... what? I just meant I hope they don't use it as a dumping ground for shoddy, horrible, third-rate games and apps like a lot of companies do, crappy companion apps to movies and games that need not exist, and they give the platform some respect and some quality content, regardless of the size of said content. Which is why I mentioned Square.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom