• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

So I Rooted My Phone.

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
I rooted my phone. (If you don't know what that means than look at the second paragraph of this post) I was wondering if anyone knows of any apps I should make use of. I have adblock, Root Browser, Greenify, and root Uninstaller.

Now, If you don't know what root is, it is basically the 'jailbreak' of the android, more or less, mostly less. It allows you to run you android phone in what is known as 'root' or 'superuser' which is a linux term for admin. This makes it so apps can do things they usually cannot, such as uninstall preloaded bloatware, or tether your phone without paying extra carrier fees. It is not recommended and voids your warranty.

Clank

Hmm
I would advise stickmount if your device supports USB OTG, I prefer ES File Explorer as it seems to be more feature filled than most file managers(and supports root browsing), and finally if you want to have some fun you can install busybox and a terminal application.

What version of Android are you running anyway? If you are running a recent version then you can "disable" apps which is just as good as uninstalling, but without the need for root.
Also, if you aren't running a recent version, then I suggest you check out something like Cyanogenmod and see if you can get a more recent version with that.

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
I'm Running 4.1.2, Kyocera Hydro Elite. Good little phone. Kyocera made it so I can't disable preinstalled apps. I got root uninstaller and disabled them with that. Will look into Cyanogenmod tonight, any advice you can give me on that?

Is there any specific reason as to why you chose to root your mobile? I mean, I rooted my kindle fire (1st gen), but that's only because it's...well...a kindle fire, which means that it inhibits access to most its Android functions (i.e., the good stuff). I was just curious. I mean, was your phone really crappy prior to rooting it or what?

And to answer your question, I also recommend replacing your current firmware and installing CyanogenMod in order to get the best out of your rooted device.

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
I rooted because it had some bloat ware, and wouldn't let me disable. Also it seems I can't install clockworkmod. My device isn't supported. Anyway around that?

thegreenrobby

#1 Producer of Mind Screw
I rooted because it had some bloat ware, and wouldn't let me disable. Also it seems I can't install clockworkmod. My device isn't supported. Anyway around that?
Even with Root, you still won't be able to download it. It just means that clockworkmod wasn't made for your phone.
~~~
While, yes, it can void a warranty on a phone, you also have to be worried about it breaching your contract as well.
One more reason why I'm glad I got Ting for my provider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom