• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Snowflake genres

There are a lot of genres and sub-genres out there with a lot of fans.

Most of us like the main genres because they make up the majority of the gaming medium, but are there any genres or sub genres you like that dont seem to have much of a following?

A personal example for me is that for some reason I seem to be good at the 'shmup' (scrolling shooters) genre. I've completed every shmup i've played (including the devil itself Ikaruga, my god) and have grown quite fond of the genre (we've had a lot of games recently too and gems such as Velocity 2X) and I'm always looking out for new ones to try.

However the community for this particular genre doesnt seem very large or vocal and its kind of nice, makes it feel a bit more personal.

Are there any genres like that for you? Ones you could consider special to you like a snowflake?

Last edited:

Quin

Disaster Master
Action puzzle games? Although Tetris is kinda popular I guess, but its one of the one I don't like
Stuff like Dr. Mario, Bust-a-move and my personal favorite, panel de pon (puzzle league)
I have played the snes game an insane amount and the rest of the series quite some too. Sadly one of the best versions of the series was the one on GC which is jap only
The last real game is sadly on DS but it got a minigame in Animal Crossing New leaf(which sadly was a ****ty version of it)
Heres hoping for a switch version, hopefully with the fairies.

Djinn

and Tonic
I'm actually amazed at how 80's style shmup games are still working today based on lots and lots of characterization and storyline being added to them. Now people play them because they genuinely like the characters and setting. In a game that largely consists of a tiny person floating left and right shooting hundreds of tiny colored balls at things equally shooting tiny balls back at you.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I'm not quite sure if I own any sub-genre games...

Of the few times I've played Shmups I've loved them

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom