• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Slingshot -_-

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I just re-watched the Iwata Asks were they talk to Aonuma and Miyamoto about Skyward Sword, and they were talking about the streamlined item menu, and Aonuma said (not direct quote) that if you were in a heated battle you could take out your bow and stun the enemy... then Aonuma corrected himself, and restated that in a situation like that you might (should) use the slingshot...

It's nice to see that Nintendo themselves have made both the bow and the slingshot usefull...

I've never found the Slingshot useful in any game that isn't Ocarina of Time. In Ocarina of Time it has a use as you are unable to use the Bow as Young Link, which I thought was fair. It let you kill Skullwalltulas and other Skulltulas with ease as you didn't have to get close to hurt them, and since they appeared in a few areas that you needed to visit as Young Link, it was useful to have with you.

In Twilight Princess, it's completely different. Once you have collected the Bow the Slingshot becomes a useless item that has no worth, although there are a few times you do have to use it before then, mainly it has a similar use as the Slingshot as Young Link in Ocarina of Time, except it's not used anyway near as much. When you do get the Bow, it's just an upgrade really since it has greater power, a much larger range and can be equipped with several other items such as Bombs and Hawkeye.

Bow runs out of arrows, so natrually the slingshot would make a decent replacement it may not be powerful but it's still a usefull projectile item when the bow is not able to be used for whatever reason, there by making it the exact opposite of useless.

The Bow has a much different use than the Slingshot, whilst they are both projectile weapons, you generally need the Bow to cause damage to the enemy you are using it against, not to stun them. Even if you are against an enemy where it would be useful to stun them, the Clawshot does a good enough job to make it worth while, it has infinite uses and can be used at roughly the same rate as the Slingshot. So really, the thing you just stated that makes the Slingshot useful is only really there for the period of time between the mini-boss in the Goron Mines and the Lakebed Temple's mini-boss, half of which you are trapped in Link's Wolf form. That and the fact that arrows are plentiful in Twilight Princess in most areas where there are enemies.

A few others have said that it's been created so that it will be more useful at close range whilst the Bow is more useful from a distance, but I'm not sure how useful I'll ever really find this. I've never pulled my Bow out in the middle of a fight to use it before, so I don't see why I'd start doing it in Skyward Sword. I'll just have to hope that it does happen to be a use otherwise it's going to be another attempt at the Slingshot that has failed.

Last edited:

Deku-Jack

The Garo Master
In this game, there will be a difference between them, as stated before. Slingshot is good for a closer range, and on smaller enemies like Keese or to stun the bigger ones. Bow is good for dealing a great amount of damage from a greater distance on bigger enemies, like the Bokoblin.

This was a great idea, because the bow takes a while to load up and shot, where with the slingshot you can just pull it out and shoot.

whiteknight455

The Zelda Nerd
Well I hope the sligshot is more usefull in SS than TP but still it was usefull I used for killing keese all the time because I dindnt want to wast arrows(sorry for misspells I suck at typing)

W

wiimasterplayer

I think the slingshot will have a use the bow has a very stright shot while the slingshot has more of an arch and I think that the slingshot could be used for hitting things over walls by using its arched shot and the pellets could be used for some type of weight system like tp in the temple of time you could have to use pellets to weigh things down or something there are lots of possible uses they just have never been used the wii master player

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
I personally think that after you get the bow, the slingshot will be completely obsolete. What's the point of having pretty much two of the same weapon, except you're shooting arrows with one, and seeds with the other?

It's been said multiple times- for different situations. This isn't like TP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom