• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Skyward Sword's Flaws (in My Opinion)

Yuki Cross

Attack on Titan~!!!
I beg to differ for number five. When I found out that the song was just Zelda's Lullaby backwards, I was amazed. How can Koji Kondo merely take a song, reverse it, and still make it sound amazing? Most of my favourite songs from the Zelda series are from Skyward Sword. I love the music, and I just don't understand why people can complain about it, when it's so obviously a master piece. I've read that a lot, and I just think it's so weird, because I loved the music.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The main flaw that Skyward Sword had, in my opinion, was the exploration. Not just in the sky, but on the surface as well. Exploration was limited on the surface; so limited, in fact, that we actually had to return to the sky in order to access the different regions. Kind of reminiscent of most 3D platformers, huh? I really do not want Zelda to become a level-based game like the Mario series. I like being able to just wander around and look for stuff, something Skyward Sword admittedly failed at. Yes, we had to search for the Goddess Cubes, but most of them were in plain sight. And the ones that weren't really weren't difficult to find. Then there's the boringness of looking for the corresponding Goddess Chests, most of which are just sitting there on a little rock in the sky. That is actually another complaint I have with the game, that of course being that the sky was too boring.

For something as expansive as the sky, the islands definitely should have been bigger. Each one should have had a puzzle on it in order to find the Goddess Chests, like that one island in the Thunderhead did. I mentioned the exact same thing in This Thread though, so I won't go into detail about it here.

So all in all, Skyward Sword's main flaw was its exploration. It excelled in many aspects in my opinion, but both sky and land-based exploration was a bit of a drawback for me.

That pretty much nails it on the head. Skyward Sword is definitely not alone in the lackluster exploration department (most other modern Zelda games are just as bad about it, if not worse), but that doesn't excuse its existence.

This is one reason I'm glad Zelda 3DS will be in ALttP's world. There's no way they would have the balls to deliver us that in a linear fashion, and with Aonuma saying they want to return Zelda to its roots, as well as that they wanted to bring back non-linearity in SS but couldn't, I see no reason to think they would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom