• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Skyward Sword's ending?

TattooArtist

I'm the B and my boyfriend is the T in LGBT ❤
Okay, so I think everyone that has beaten this game can agree that the ending makes no sense. How can the game happen if at the end you destroy Demise in the past? It's a grandfather paradox too big to ignore. You could say that the timeline is split when Link goes back to the past to rescue Zelda from Ghirahim. They would abandon their own timeline, where all the game happened, leaving it without a Hero to be reborn (because Link essentially stopped existing). Demise would still be reincarnated into Ganondorf, but without a Hero, this world would end. Let's go back to Link and Zelda in the past. Here, Link killed Demise and left the Master Sword in Hylia's Temple. When they get back to the present, the Master Sword is still there and this would be a timeline in which Demise was dead from the start. But this simply can't happen. Since there was no Demise, there would be no reason for Skyloft still being in the Sky, because it was sent there to protect its people from Demise. But Skyloft is still up there and the Statue of the Goddess down in the Sealed Grounds, because it came back down to crush Demise in the present; but since there was no Demise to begin with, this can't happen.

So how can this game's ending possibly... work? I stumbled upon this article the other day that explains the ending in a way I found very plausible. If you're too lazy to read it, it basically says that when Demise was reawakened in the past, he wasn't at his full power yet, meaning that when Link fought him, some part of Demise was still sealed. So when Link killed him, he only killed a part of him, and the rest remained sealed. This part of Demise is what broke free from the seal as The Imprisoned and was ultimately crushed by the Statue of the Goddess, bringing Demise to his end. This way the game can still happen and there is no grandfather paradox. it could also explain why during the thousands of years between the past and the present he was never reborn (or so we think), because he wasn't completely dead.

So we got that out of the way, but what about the Master Sword? If Link left in the Temple of Hylia in the past, how come it's never there in the Sealed Temple in the present? I have an idea. As you can tell by my profile picture, I'm a Doctor Who fan. In The End of Time, the Doctor makes the TARDIS invisible by making it be out of sync with the rest of the universe. What if something like this happened to the Master Sword? After Link, Zelda, and Groose left the past, the Gate of Time must have closed at some point. When this link between the two eras closed, the Master Sword could not longer be "connected" to its past; it's creation hasn't even happened yet. So when the Gate of time closed, the Master Sword could have vanished. It would still be there in space, but not in time; so it would be essentially invisible. So in the present, the Master Sword would be there "waiting" for its past to be "completed" and be in sync again. So after Link came back from the past for the last time, the Master Sword would be in sync again and becomes visible again.

So if this is true, the ending makes some sense. So what do you think? I hope it made sense...

I don't think the ending makes sense either, I believe those questions will be answered in BotW hopefully. You never know, calamity Ganon could be based on Demise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom