• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword's Big Key Style in Zelda 3DS?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
If you played SS, surely you noticed its Big Keys were much different than in past titles. Instead of keys, they were carvings that had to be placed into slots on the "Boss Doors" in a specific way. My question to you guys is do you think this should be translated into Zelda 3DS via the touchscreen? I say it should.

This style of Big Key in SS was very innovative and built up the tension of preparing to fight the boss even more by having us sort of earn our way in. The touchscreen on the 3DS is perfectly capable of using this new style. I see no reason for Nintendo to not use it. But how about you? Discuss!

Skyward Sword was a game replete with innovation whether it be major or on a smaller scale. The example you provided is just one of the things it did to improve menial aspects of the franchise. As you mentioned, including this big key quirk should logically follow due to the 3DS's touchscreen capabilities. Just as Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks brought drawing on the stylus with door, Zelda 3DS can take that to a whole new level with big keys in dungeons.

I was never sure on the big key spinning thing, it felt like a needless addition to make yet something else you could twist, turn and push around just to say you were getting use out of the Wiimote, however as the game went along i looked into it a bit more thoroughly and began to quite enjoy the themes of the keys like snakes and flowers etc, some were easier than others but i was spinning for five minutes once trying to get the key in the lock, i succeeded with random twisting in the end. As far as the 3DS goes though i think it's be quite at home there, even the gyro controls could be beneficial so it something that i'd like to see tried out on 3DS now that we've had it on the Wii just to see to which it'd be better suited.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
In my opinion, it was great for the Wii because the Wii Remote pretty much resembled the big key, but I'm not sure how it would translate onto the 3DS via touchscreen.

Sure, the 3DS has a gyroscope and accellometer, but that certainly won't work for the 3DS since you'd have to be looking at the screen to see what you're doing. The 3DS is filled with a lot more features than the DS and Wii, so there is room for a lot of potential as for what methods could be used. Perhaps, as TheBlueReptile said, you could hunt down gears and cogs, then place them in the right spot to open up the door with a crank.

Another idea on my mind could be that you have to solve a big puzzle that can destroy the door, such as finding a battering ram that can break down the door. Then again, those all deviate away from finding a boss key, something that has been in the Zelda series since A Link to the Past. So, in short, there's plenty of room for innovation, but definitely no room for the key piece.

I really, really enjoyed the Big Key design in Skyward Sword, it was a very innovated move. I see no reason why it wouldn't be a good idea for Zelda 3DS. Even if the game wasn't stylus based like PH and ST, it could still be done. I really hope they keep this idea in the next game. (:

MW7

I think that makes sense to do because of the 3ds' functionality. I did appreciate how the big keys became another little puzzle at the end of dungeons.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
In my opinion, it was great for the Wii because the Wii Remote pretty much resembled the big key, but I'm not sure how it would translate onto the 3DS via touchscreen.

Sure, the 3DS has a gyroscope and accellometer, but that certainly won't work for the 3DS since you'd have to be looking at the screen to see what you're doing. The 3DS is filled with a lot more features than the DS and Wii, so there is room for a lot of potential as for what methods could be used. Perhaps, as TheBlueReptile said, you could hunt down gears and cogs, then place them in the right spot to open up the door with a crank.

Another idea on my mind could be that you have to solve a big puzzle that can destroy the door, such as finding a battering ram that can break down the door. Then again, those all deviate away from finding a boss key, something that has been in the Zelda series since A Link to the Past. So, in short, there's plenty of room for innovation, but definitely no room for the key piece.

Everything you said made sense and had merit until that last sentence. Exactly how is there no room? The touchscreen is more than capable of twisting an item around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom