• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword VS BOTW & TOTK

Which Do You Like Better?

• Skyward Sword

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • BOTW & TOTK

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
I realize that Skyward Sword is very different from BOTW and TOTK gameplay wise, so I decided to ask ZD members which they like better.

I like Skyward Sword better. I prefer its linearity and the storytelling is stronger. I do like that BOTW and TOTK disconnect themselves from the flawed timeline that Skyward Sword partially introduced, however.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Skyward Sword, and it’s not even a contest.

BotW and TotK are two of the most mindless, unsubstantial, pitiful excuses for “game design” I have ever experienced. TotK in particular is so bad that it is actually insulting.

Skyward Sword, as flawed as it was, actually understood the damn point of game design. That alone puts it far above any of the crap that came after it.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'd give it to BotW and TotK despite all my issues with TotK's story. SS bothered me so much that it made me reconsider my enjoyment of the franchise, especially since it released so close to Dark Souls 1.

I question including Breath and Tears together, honestly. They're very similar, but in BotW's case the concept was novel for the series. TotK doesn't have that excuse and feels like BotW 1.25 for recycling so much. Though you could probably accuse SS of the same for reusing the same areas as often as it does.

As much as I have issues with the open-world style, I'd still take it over SS. My problem with Breath largely amounts to wasted potential and a lack of soul, while SS is guilty of an extreme level of linear design and tutorialization that becomes overbearing. One has soul, but is suffocating. The other gives the player plenty of freedom, but feels a bit aimless and flat from a narrative perspective. One is a lovely first experience, but has so little replay value. The other is more replayable given the structure and gameplay loop, but has gameplay that is downright exhausting. And so on.

If nothing else, gameplay I like can make up for the lack of a decent story and cast of characters. That's why Breath wins out for me. Bad gameplay can't save SS, even if I like the world and dynamics going on between the characters.

Mikey the Gengar

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I can replay skyward sword like rereading a good book. The controls are also really immersive and fun to use. Skyward Sword's story is full of the excitement and adventure that the best zelda games have, although the backtracking does mess with the pacing a bit
botw and tears are too much of the stock standard open world game and they measure up really poorly to like skyrim, elden ring, minecraft, etc
the only interesting thing about them is the physics engine and I don't enjoy that kind of gameplay whatsoever, especially with how long it takes to do anything of value

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
SS is one of my least fav games but I prefer BotW anyway. I prefer it also over TP which is a game I deeply love. The reason is that I can do whatever I want. I'm not forced to follow a certain path. I can go straight to the final boss if I want. I'm not interrupted by a companion to tell me where to go or what to do. I can choose every weapon or outfit. I also love the story and the champions/sages. This will always be a personal opinion though but BotW and TotK top my lists but in different order :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom