• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Really Puts Wind Waker into Perspective

T

Tarshish

Skyward Sword and Wind Waker spoliers...obviously.

I just played Wind Waker again (after playing TP, and SS before that). When the king is talking about "finally meeting our destinies", and Ganondorf is turned to stone, I feel this is really the end of Ganon in this timeline. After having played SS, Demise sets in the motion the events of all later games with Ganondorf by passing on his hatred (or anger, or whatever it was, I finished the game a couple of months ago). I feel when the king uses the triforce, he is finally ending the cycle, and unfortunately, he had to permanently sacrifice Hyrule to do so. I feel that in the child timeline, that Ganon can still be revived. I'm not sure about the failure time line since we haven't had a game in that timeline since a link to the past. But I feel the only way to end the cycle is through the triforce, and the way that the King worded it it is what was necessary. I guess we will see depending on what time lines the new games are made in.

Anybody's thoughts on this? Has this been mentioned before?

SuperMetroid

Eating Your Brains
Demise said:
Though this is not the end. My hate... never perishes. It is born anew in a cycle with no end! I will rise again! Those like you... Those who share the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero... They are eternally bound to this curse. An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind, dooming them to wander a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!

Demise's Hatred is immortal. This is basically Nintendo saying that you can never kill off Ganon/Ganondorf.

Well, in all three of the time lines... Ganon "dies"... however some how or another he always seems to come back to life by some means or another...
At the end of WW Ganondorf is killed with a master sword to the forehead, then is left under a couple thousand meters of great sea, with the wish of the King to flood Hyrule... But does this mean he is down and out never again to return in that timeline...?
Very possible not... :devil:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Ganondorf will never die. He will always return. As long the Triforce exists there will always be people hunting for it and especially the Triforce of Power and others to stop this by using the Triforce fo Wisdom and the Triforce of Courage. I do believe however that Demise did cursed Link before he died but more the whole world by saying something what means like "Evil will always haunt you" which it does. Ganondorf being defeated doesn't mean he will never return. I mean come on Zelda sealed the Sacred Realm and still Ganondorf managed to escape. From time to time other enemies appear like Majora, Bellum etc but this doesn't mean Ganondorf won't return.

SuperMetroid

Eating Your Brains
I interpreted both Demise' curse and the ending of Wind Waker in very different ways. To start with, I'll explain the curse from my perspective.
Just before Demise lays the 'curse' on Link he is shown struggling to even stand up without using his sword as a crutch. Yet somehow he is able to place an everlasting and unbreakable curse that ensure his hatred will always live on? I don't buy that. To me his curse was more figurative than anything. He had come to the realisation that as long as a power as great as the Triforce existed there would always be an evil striving to obtain it and a hero determined to stop such.

Demise wasn't the only person to realise this though. Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule eventually cottoned on and that led to his actions at the end of WW. He couldn't destroy the Triforce nor could he sever the link between the land and the heavens. So instead he destroyed what was really binding the power, the evil and the hero together. Hyrule itself. Because of this I do think it is the end of Ganondorf in the Adult Timeline. New evil does arise eventually though as we all know but whether one as dangerous or as persistent as Ganondorf will return is yet to be established.

I agree with your interpretation. It's my interpretation as well. But what you make of it and what Nintendo makes of it are two different ideas. The annoying part is that it's Nintendo's that is important.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I'm careful not to refer to this idea as "Demise's Curse" because when he speaks those words it strikes me more as a description of the force of balance in the world. It's remarkably similar to Ganondorf's last words removed from the English translation of TP. As TheBlueReptile described very well, he isn't conjuring his last bit of power to lay some magical curse on their successors. Demise has conquered time - his hate exists throughout eternity. Whether it's tied to the Triforce (i.e. as long as the Triforce exerts order in the world, Demise's hatred will exert chaos) is another matter. In either case, the Triforce can't destroy its antithesis with a simple wish. (Think Yin-Yang.) The Triforce would have to be completely destroyed in order for Demise's hate to dissipate, which doesn't happen in WW. And again, that's only if his hate is tied to the Triforce in the first place. I think he's more likely directly opposed to the goddesses themselves.

Demise wasn't the only person to realise this though. Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule eventually cottoned on and that led to his actions at the end of WW. He couldn't destroy the Triforce nor could he sever the link between the land and the heavens. So instead he destroyed what was really binding the power, the evil and the hero together. Hyrule itself. Because of this I do think it is the end of Ganondorf in the Adult Timeline. New evil does arise eventually though as we all know but whether one as dangerous or as persistent as Ganondorf will return is yet to be established.

So I would disagree with this conclusion. I don't think eliminating any of the players in the game would have an effect on the game itself, considering the game stretches over all eternity and theoretically includes an infinite number of players - and indeed would still exist without its players. This does paint a bleak picture of the king's actions - simply ending one chapter of the game, making way for a new era to be corrupted by the battle between order and chaos, community and hatred.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Ariel WOULD be capable of doing that

Regarding the actual topic, I don't think we'll see much more Ganon in either timeline, he was killed for good in TP, also in WW and in ALttP, then again in OoX linked game (though this wasn't a full ganondorf), and yet again in TLoZ after being revived, in the child timeline we may see more of FSA ganon, but this is not the Ganon we hate and love to kill

Many atampt are made to revive him on the Decline timeline, some succesful (TLoZ backstory), some unsuccesful (AoL) and some more or less (OoX), this may be due to the complete triforce he gets or perhaps it's somehow related to yet another failed revival in the ambiguously canon game BS The Legend of Zelda: Inishie no Sekiban, my point is that it has been stressed enough that he is gone for good in all the timelines, a villian I could bear seeing is Vaati in the Decline timeline (he is dead in the Child timeline and the four sword was washed away with Hyrule in the Adult timeline), maybe he could revive ganon and seize the ToP before the events of TLoZ

An option for Ganon returning could be the sealing war, the return of ganon in the adult timeline or the war between OoT and TP

What I think Nintendo should do is creating a villian that isn't utterly destroyed in the first game he appears (like the last 3 games have done), I can stand sealing some big bad (speaking of which, prequel to SS anyone?) which can return later.

in wind waker, if i can remember right the king just said u will never return to the surface, and so he could always still get reborn

Garo

Boy Wonder
Ganondorf is not immortal, and really isn't anything more than a villain that has recurred throughout the series. He isn't some eternal embodiment of evil or great demon king - he's a man with a tremendous degree of ambition and greed who happens to have loyal henchmen who keep bringing him back.

I interpreted both Demise' curse and the ending of Wind Waker in very different ways. To start with, I'll explain the curse from my perspective.
Just before Demise lays the 'curse' on Link he is shown struggling to even stand up without using his sword as a crutch. Yet somehow he is able to place an everlasting and unbreakable curse that ensure his hatred will always live on? I don't buy that. To me his curse was more figurative than anything. He had come to the realisation that as long as a power as great as the Triforce existed there would always be an evil striving to obtain it and a hero determined to stop such.

I agree. It seems like the end for Ganondorf in the Adult Timeline.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I think he was talking more of just that specific Link and that specific Zelda. In a way it's connected to Demise's comments because each Link and Zelda are supposed to defend Hyrule from the incarnation of Demise's hatred. I don't think they destroyed it utterly and completely in Wind Waker, just for that specific era.

Smoore

The Rational Theist
In regards to Ganondorf's death in The Wind Waker, Malladus in Spirit Tracks bears a lot of similarity to Ganon the beast. I'm not sure exactly what to do with the backstory of Spirit Tracks, but if it is somehow an alternate version of Demise/Ganon's story then perhaps Malladus is Ganon reborn.

Here is a tentative explanation. After Ganondorf was killed and Link and Tetra went exploring to find a new world to settle, the spirit of Demise/Ganon went on a frantic search for a new land where he could regain a physical form. He arrived at New Hyrule before Link and Tetra, and once he arrived, he was defeated by the Locomo. (They called him Malladus because they did not know his real name.) Then the Hylians arrived and settled the land, and finally Spirit Tracks happened a hundred years later. It's a hypothesis, but I think it holds up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom