• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword is Making Zelda More Popular Than People Want?

MW7

Using the same engine means nothing at all. A bad company making the maps also means nothing at all. MW3 is the best selling game in history to date, I think that means enough. At least 50 percent of the CoD population knows that each new game is a rehash of MW1, yet they continue to buy it because they like it. To them it's better than anything else. Small maps mean nothing, CoD is a shoot em up, not a sniper war. Story doesn't make a game, however stories DO make books. >.>'

It doesn't change your point, but there is a difference between biggest entertainment launch ever and best selling game in history. MW3 is the former which is really amazing, but has no chance whatsoever of being the best selling game in history considering that there will probably be a MW4 (or a new entry in the COD series that isn't Modern Warfare) within two years (one year if they keep the same pattern since 2006). It sold approximately 9 million copies in November, and the highest selling game ever has over 75 million lifetime sales (granted Wii Sports was bundled).

Edit: Nevermind about Wii Sports, I think Tetris is easily the best selling game ever if you combine cell phone sales with console sales with over 100 million.

The people on both sides of the graphics debate are being utterly ******** right now in my opinion. Which is why I won't even bother getting involved.

A good game is like a good film. A film has the story, it has the actors, it has the witty banter and characters you can connect to. CGI is a bonus, but seems to be far to over-used in modern films. You could watch a film with no plot and still enjoy it. You could watch a film with mediocre acting and still enjoy it. But those kinds of films will never be great films. They will be the kind of films that do great at the box office, maybe get an oscar or two but will ultimately fade away amid the tide of film history.
Similarly a game has it's plot, has it's gameplay, it's puzzles or it's enemies. It could even have some snazzy HD graphics on top of that. You can play a game with no plot, no puzzles. Heck you could play a game that requires you to hold your finger on the trigger button and shoot anything that moves. You could have fun with them, but give it 2 or 3 years and they will be forgotten. A game will only ever make a real impression on you if it has the perfect blend of everything. Plot, characters, gameplay, challenges.

Zelda seems to be one of the few games out there still capable of being a Great game. The Zelda games have suffered an absolutely criminal under-exposure in years gone by. But now, just like Invasion of the Body Snatchers, or even Star Wars, it has climbed out of the rut that has held it back from mass reception and is finally getting the recognition it deserves.

Why would that be a bad thing?

You have a point about games making an impression if they're the full package, but saying only when all those elements are present that it makes a real impression I can't agree with. Tetris is the perfect example-literally no story and graphics don't matter at all (though it does have a geometric puzzle element and addicting music). Tetris is the only game in my experience in which you can stop playing, but the game doesn't leave you alone. Many people I've talked to and myself have reported literally seeing the blocks continue to fall when they close their eyes after playing. Now that's an impression. I know it's not what you meant- I think you were talking more about an emotional connection to the game- but pretty much any game can leave an impression on a gamer.

I'd compare Zelda's popularity more with a roller coaster rather than crawling out of a rut. The popularity rises with the release of every game and gradually declines until the next game starts getting hyped up. Also taking into account population growth and the growing market for video games, I'd say Zelda is probably less popular now more than ever (although the releases between OOT and TP did sell significantly less) in terms of sales at least. I don't know if you were referring to that or critical reception though.

Last edited:
MW3 is the best selling game in history to date, I think that means enough
Not even close. "Gran Turismo 5" is the best selling game for PS3 (6.37 mil) and "Halo 3" is for Xbox 360 (14.5 mil). Guess what? Those aren't even close to the best selling games ever. "Super Mario Bros." sold over 40 million copies and that isn't the best selling game ever. The record has been set at 76.76 million by "Wii Sports".

And what does MW3 have to do with this anyway?

What I find hilarious is the claims that Skyward Sword is more of the same, when it has one of the most original plots of any video game period. Not to mention the fact that those critics rate the copy-paste sequels of this year higher than SS. What makes it okay when they do it? It's not like any of them have the excuse of being developed by rookie companies. These are games made by Naughty Dog, Epic, Valve, and Bethesda I'm talking about. Everyone turns a blind eye when they can't come up with anything original, but they complain about Nintendo doing it even when they aren't. Now that I think about it, I find it more infuriating than hilarious.

I wouldn't say it has the most original plot of any video game. I'm sure you haven't played all the video games to make an informed decision about the best plot. It's also easier to rearrange old ideas than to start from scratch. Nintendo has been rearranging old ideas for years now and I think a lot of people are wondering why they haven't done more to keep their title games fresh.

I think the graphics put people off Zelda, unlike Skyrim that is hardcore realistic graphics with blood and gore Zelda has gone for the more light hearted appearance for a younger audience, if they go for TP graphics more people may be interested in the franchise.

Deeds

no text
Zelda has gone for the more light hearted appearance for a younger audience
So... just because there is no blood and gore it immediately strikes you as a game for a younger audience? Wow, that's a big shame, because that's not what it strikes me as. When I saw the graphics off Skyward Sword I loved it straight away, and I'm not young, neither do I have an obsession with clouds of some sort. I just found the watercolour graphics, a change in ideas for the LoZ games; and change is the key to a succesful masterpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom