• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Skyward Sword Better Than Ocarina of Time?

Which is better; Skywaed sword or Ocarina of time?

• Skyward sword

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ocarina of time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Im so surprised that skyward sword gets so many more votes, goes to show you how much motion controls boosts the game. Personaly I voted for Ocarina of Time since I think it is a much better game in most aspects, atleast with the 3DS version. The Controls on the 3DS was just incredible and easy to use, made Ocarina of Time a blast fore sure. Skyward Sword was fun aswell obviously.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I understand why people love OoT for sure, it's an awesome game (Especially OoT3D) but I think it can get a little overrated at times.
And Skyward isn't overrated? Almost every single Zelda player immediately calls the game a 10/10 based off of the first couple hours of the game (which is ridculous as they're painstakingly slow IMO). They haven't played through the game and they call it a 10/10. THAT'S where the overrating comes from, not from OoT.

Comparing the 2 is kinda silly, OOT came out in 1998 so of course the graphics and whatnot aren't going to be be as good. But for the age they made it in they aced it.

For those of you saying how "OoT had limited technology to work with back then, hardware was limited back then, and whatever other stuff back then" - why with all the justifications on a game's flaws? If that was the case, then why not compare ALttp to OoT, and say the same thing how ALttP was in 2D, it had limited technology to work with, and all the other justifications used to defend OoT? Cause with those kinds of arguments, that would mean you can never compare any Zelda game to each other, especially to previous titles, just because of different technologies used at the time. That would mean no Zelda game can ever be considered the best.

OoT was considered amazing because it was the first 3D game and that influenced the gameplay and introduced more of a story (although simple, but still a story!)- in other words, it improved on 2D zelda games (while building upon ALttP). Skyward Sword is revolutionary in that it introduced motion controls and changed the formula, added more depth to the stories and characters (which made people more emotional and even cry) - it took all the best parts of the series and introduced new elements, and it did that successfully.

If a game did something better and truly improved on many elements, it is the better game. Just as OoT improved on its previous 2D Zelda games, Skyward Sword improved on previous games before it as well. Constantly using the "technology was limited back then" is not a great way of arguing your case as the same can be said about OoT vs 2D Zelda games, when technology was even more limited.

Last edited:
For those of you saying how "OoT had limited technology to work with back then, hardware was limited back then, and whatever other stuff back then" - why with all the justifications on a game's flaws? If that was the case, then why not compare ALttp to OoT, and say the same thing how ALttP was in 2D, it had limited technology to work with, and all the other justifications used to defend OoT? Cause with those kinds of arguments, that would mean you can never compare any Zelda game to each other, especially to previous titles, just because of different technologies used at the time. That would mean no Zelda game can ever be considered the best.

OoT was considered amazing because it was the first 3D game and that influenced the gameplay and introduced more of a story (although simple, but still a story!)- in other words, it improved on 2D zelda games (while building upon ALttP). Skyward Sword is revolutionary in that it introduced motion controls and changed the formula, added more depth to the stories and characters (which made people more emotional and even cry) - it took all the best parts of the series and introduced new elements, and it did that successfully.

If a game did something better and truly improved on many elements, it is the better game. Just as OoT improved on its previous 2D Zelda games, Skyward Sword improved on previous games before it as well. Constantly using the "technology was limited back then" is not a great way of arguing your case as the same can be said about OoT vs 2D Zelda games, when technology was even more limited.

This. It was about time some body said something about the "OOT had limit technology" bad arguments especially considering that 2D Zelda games (LOZ1, Zelda II, ALTTP, and LA) had limit technology as well.

I seriously think the comparison of SS and OoT at this time would be very similar to a comparison of ALTTP and OoT back in 1998, in many aspects

To me, they are equals, and since I have 4 more Zeldas equal to them I admit I have problems deciding which zelda game is better, they are just too awesome to let one down, I suppose

I love both of the games, however having played Skyward Sword it became my favorite for a number of reasons. I loved the motion controls and it felt a little more natural for me to play that way. Also having all the new knowledge that goes into the timeline from Skyward Sword made it my new favorite Zelda game as well. I still love Ocarina of Time though, it's awesome too.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think I've made my thoughts very clear on many forum threads and in my review. Skyward Sword.

Can't really get any simpler than "99/100 vs 93/100".
JuicieJ said:
Composite score =/= best. Composite score = most critically acclaimed.

There's a big difference between the two. That statement really doesn't hold any water. I mean, TP has a 95, yet it's definitely not better than SS. (Get my point?)

Last edited:

LinkPTY

Skyward Wiimote
Story: SS
Music: OoT
Gameplay: SS

I think Skyward Sword is better. Ocarina of Time was influential for its time with 3D graphics, but SS wins with the best gameplay in a Zelda game so far.

MW7

There's a big difference between the two. That statement really doesn't hold any water. I mean, TP has a 95, yet it's definitely not better than SS. (Get my point?)

It holds some water though. Composite scores are an attempt to quantify the quality of the game so they are one method of determining the "best" game. Critics should know how to judge games better than anyone else, but obviously critics can make mistakes or be biased. I'll admit it's an imperfect way to determine the best game, but it's pretty much the least subjective way to rank games since it potentially can balance out everyone's biases. It's not absolute but it's also not meaningless. You'd have to admit that there's a correlation between the critical acclaim games get and your subjective judgments of their quality. I'd admit the difference between OOT and SS in critical acclaim is fairly negligible though not entirely meaningless.

On a slightly related note, I wonder if there's anyone who thinks TP is better than SS now. I mean I'm sure there are but that opinion is pretty rare.

Last edited:

Kirino

Tatakae
If OoT was first released in 2011, I guarantee it would not be nearly ss popular as it is now.

MW7

And if Mario I were released now it would be considered horrible and outdated. Your point? Time and context do matter.

However I think the game would do well even if released today.
Case in point, it was re-released earlier this year and according to this website has over 3 million in sales (http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/game/45731/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d/). Reviewers didn't give it as high of scores as before, but the game is making serious bank. So basically OOT is timeless whereas some games literally crumble and die over time. For example back in the day Madden 2002 was all the rage, but now you couldn't sell it for a dollar. OOT was released in 1998, sold 7.6 million copies, then managed to sell 3 million more copies in 2011 at a $40 price tag. That's a special kind of game. Plus if you consider the fact that it was released at pretty much the beginning of the 3ds's lifecycle, imagine how many sales it will end up with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom