• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skill Tree in Zelda?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
How would you feel if a future Zelda game had some kind of skill tree? A skill tree meaning a list of skills with branch-offs for different takes/upgrades on a specific skill. An example would be magic abilities. Link could start out with dinky fire, ice, and electric spells & whatnot and level them up by gaining experience points from killing enemies. This wouldn't apply to his attack or defense or anything like in Zelda II, of course. Just the abilities. I think this would be great for Zelda. It would add another layer of depth to the gameplay and would allow for much more diverse combat options. It would also add more customization by allowing you to choose which trees you want to follow, whether it be one tree to get it to maximum power or all of them to be a one man band. Plus, it would be the perfect way to bring magic back and actually have it be a central part of the gameplay.

But, again, what are your thoughts on the subject? Let me know in the comments!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
A skill tree in Zelda? Too different! :right:

It sounds like a great idea in all honesty. While I wouldn't use your example (inb4 it's just an example), and I definitely wouldn't accept Link being OMA for the 17th time in a row, it's still great. I can see Link having traits in one skill line where he can have a base shield bash, then level it up to a "fire based" shield bash where whatever attack he bashes back (or if he just bashes an enemy) it would have a 50% chance to ignite or something. Same could apply to electricity, ice, water, etc.

OH SNAP. This is actually a really great thing to apply to the Spin Attack! I know we have differing views on limiting the amount of times we can use the attack in any span of time, but I think we can agree that giving the spin attack different elemental properties (as well as physical properties such as knockback or reflecting enemy projectiles) would be a sweet little touch.

I'm all for skill trees in Zelda :yes:

Kirino

Tatakae
I think it's great. Maybe new moves like the hidden skills could be learned, or new magic attacks. Maybe upgrades such as a higher magic meter, or more powerful spin attack. Perhaps new abilities like your shield being able do deflect different types of attacks. The possibilities are endless, and could really add more depth and enhance Zelda.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Depends how they make them, If it's gonna be MMO skill tree then no thanks because that's gonna turn out to be "everyone who doesn't play this skill tree is dumb". But if they make it more like some other RPG skill trees where you choose based on just on what you think looks cool instead of what will give you more advantages then I say go for it!

In general I like gameplay features that let you customize the way you play, Which is also why I think Zelda should introduce classes in the future. Do I want to be stealthy and take out enemies in the dark? do I wanna be an unstoppable warrior that draws a lot of attention to him/herself? or maybe I wanna be the hero that defeats his/her enemies from a distance with the master bow (yea, you heard it first here). But that's too much offtopic so I'll just make my own thread about classes. :>

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
This concept has a lot of potential and some great possibilities for the Legend of Zelda. I've played a few games where a "skill tree" of sorts was included, and actually enjoyed having the opportunity to strengthen certain fields as the game grew harder. For a casual player like myself, I'm always in want of a way to stay equal with the power of my virtual foes. Zelda has given me that opportunity through attaining new items in most instances, and learning new skills in others. These are always effective methods to "empower" Link; but a new feature that complements the formula never hurts.

So...I'm thinking that a "skill tree" supplies itself with the experience that the player garners on their adventure. In order to be able accumulate these points, they must kill certain foes (the harder they are, the more they get) or complete objectives that NPCs distribute. Once this is done, they'll have the ability to scour through a menu of "branches" [or in other words, catagories] and deduct points as they see fit. The skill tree can be used to upgrade weapons, attacks, magic, defense/offense variations, and individual pieces of armor, which I've been wanting to see added for a long time now.

A factor that goes against this method is the prospect that it might be copying other games, such as Skyrim or an experience system similar to the Legend of Spyro's. However various franchises have been borrowing from Zelda for years and I've never heard a big fuss about it on Nintendo's part. Henceforth there's an abundant chance that nothing would come from this except for outcries from other-series fans. Even then, I don't see why they wouldn't implement it.

Here's to hoping for a skill-tree system. :yes:

i dont like skill trees at the best of times, and when its a game like Zelda, where the enemies can't stand up to a beating a skill tree would go largely unused and even if nintendo did give the enemies more health to stand up to it i doubt it'd be by much, it also feels like it'd take too much time out of things, all skill trees are are ways to bigger versions of what you're using and Zelda has never felt like a game that should do that, the combat as it is is fine, just give us more moves like TPs hidden skills and i'll be happy. Skill trees are just padding and take the challenge from things for me.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
just give us more moves like TPs hidden skills and i'll be happy.

The Hidden Skills effectively do the same thing as attacks from a skill tree with magic attacks would. They're optional and powerful attacks that add an extra layer to the combat, as well as make combat easier.

Skill trees are just padding and take the challenge from things for me.

Then don't use them. :/

Kirino

Tatakae
So...I'm thinking that a "skill tree" supplies itself with the experience that the player garners on their adventure. In order to be able accumulate these points, they must kill certain foes (the harder they are, the more they get) or complete objectives that NPCs distribute.

Good, but I don't want experience to replace actual items or prizes we would normally get. There should also be a limit to how many skill points you could get, such as in Borderlands 2 or Darksiders II, or else people could grind and become ridiculously powerful. There should also be multiple trees, each suited to a different style of gameplay, or to different abilities.

zer0%20skill%20tree.jpg

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
This concept has a lot of potential and some great possibilities for the Legend of Zelda. I've played a few games where a "skill tree" of sorts was included, and actually enjoyed having the opportunity to strengthen certain fields as the game grew harder. For a casual player like myself, I'm always in want of a way to stay equal with the power of my virtual foes. Zelda has given me that opportunity through attaining new items in most instances, and learning new skills in others. These are always effective methods to "empower" Link; but a new feature that complements the formula never hurts.

So...I'm thinking that a "skill tree" supplies itself with the experience that the player garners on their adventure. In order to be able accumulate these points, they must kill certain foes (the harder they are, the more they get) or complete objectives that NPCs distribute. Once this is done, they'll have the ability to scour through a menu of "branches" [or in other words, catagories] and deduct points as they see fit. The skill tree can be used to upgrade weapons, attacks, magic, defense/offense variations, and individual pieces of armor, which I've been wanting to see added for a long time now.

A factor that goes against this method is the prospect that it might be copying other games, such as Skyrim or an experience system similar to the Legend of Spyro's. However various franchises have been borrowing from Zelda for years and I've never heard a big fuss about it on Nintendo's part. Henceforth there's an abundant chance that nothing would come from this except for outcries from other-series fans. Even then, I don't see why they wouldn't implement it.

Here's to hoping for a skill-tree system. :yes:

The killing enemies to get exp... I don't want to have to grind in Zelda.
Now a better way to fit the style of the game with out changing it, is say when ever you complete a piece of heart or get a heart container, you also get a skill point to spend or something like that?

edit:

My idea for simple trees that don't add too much complexity but plenty of customization. The Tree's would each have 3 straight lines going down in them that meet at the bottom for a special passiv

Martial Tree, Magic Tree, Tech Tree (makes better uses of his gadgets)

Martial Tree could have sword skills / shield skills, bow skills, and other weapons perhaps, and a passive at the bottom that'll grant like double sword/bow dmg (it would require you to focus soley on the martial tree to be able to get it by mid/late game)

Magic Tree
This would actually add spells to cast.

Well different type of magics obviously
Destruction, White Magic (buffs/heals/ dmg/repel undead), And Utility Magic (buffs like speed buffs, transformations, teleportation, water breathing)
And of course the bottom perk at the tree would be like, half mp consumption.

Tech Tree
This one would be like all passives, that enhance Link's use of gadget he finds, like faster draw time on his hookshot, or bombs can now hurt armored enemies cause he puts like shrapnel in them.

By the end of the game with all 20 heart containers, you would have 20 points to spend , (starts the game with 3, but like after the tutorial area he's allowed to actually spend them). At any time in the game Link would be allowed to talk to an npc and unlearn everything so he can reallocate his points if he's not happy with them, this would cost a decent amount of rupees.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Good, but I don't want experience to replace actual items or prizes we would normally get. There should also be a limit to how many skill points you could get, such as in Borderlands 2 or Darksiders II, or else people could grind and become ridiculously powerful. There should also be multiple trees, each suited to a different style of gameplay, or to different abilities.

That's... exactly what I said.

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
Well, I think it would be good as long as it was balanced and not confusing to the player; something like Mass Effect. When I play moist games with skill trees, I always end up quitting as soon as I try to level my character up; I find it unneccessarily confusing. Mass Effect is very balanced in this aspect. Zelda could be too, as long as it is similar.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I support "skill trees" in Zelda, however, the franchise needs to evolve in order to accommodate such a change. Spirit of Rutela raises a valid point regarding overpowered "skill trees". While gamers who don't desire to use such bonuses have the option to certain basic "skill trees" could function as effective weapon substitutes. The realistic scarcity of items lent by Skyward Sword's Adventure Pouch should be repeated with "skill trees" functioning as veritable substitutes for the limited arsenal Link is able to carry at a time.

It's important Zelda doesn't overstep its bounds in borrowing from the Role Playing genre. Thareous is correct that games borrow freely from one another and taking a nod here and there from Skyrim or The Legend of Spyro wouldn't hurt but given the divided nature of the Zelda fan base, too radical alterations will cause nothing but bickering. I'm a traditional conservative in most facets of life and while never admonish change, maintain that it should be instituted thoughtfully. For the same reason, I'm hesitant on introducing parkour elements to Zelda. The Legend of Zelda is a very different adventure series from the likes of Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed, or Darksiders.

We've already seen magical attributes in Link's arrows and even the Mirror Shield variation. Now it's time to expand the surrealistic horizons to less mundane gear. Personally, I'd love to see flare mimicking bombs or an electric whip. That said, the biggest and boldest possibilities for expansion are in the gear still on paper waiting to be placed in game. Nintendo's devleopers have crafted a variety of creative tools in recent installment including the Ball & Chain, Sand Wand, and Beetle. Imagine smashing through a metal wall with a nuclear powered ball and chain. Not only would it provide a gorgeous backdrop for the added horsepower of Nintendo's eighth generation systems but also compel players to utilize more obscure items. What if a gamer doesn't have a given tool with them in their Adventure Pouch at present? The solution is simple. Establish an overworld system whereby Link has access to the materials he needs with the press of a button.

Scoby

France
as zorth says, as long as this game don't turn out like MMO skill tree then I'll be happy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom