• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Should Time Travel Play A Bigger Role?

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
Well I think it should. I love time travel. In Ocarina Of Time, there wasn't much time travel. It was only needed to get the Lens Of Truth, which allows you to safely make it threw the extremely haunting Shadow Temple, and to get the Silver Gauntlets from the Spirit Temple. It played a huge role in Majora's Mask, the same as Oracle Of Aged. Skyward Sword used a little time travel.

What do you guys think?

Should you be able to skip ahead a few minutes, hours, or weeks as you please?

Last edited:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well, it has played a huge roles in other games. The concept is common, but other concepts, like differing islands, work just as well. We don't need much more time travel. I feel it would give nintendo too many opportunities to mess up the timeline even more than it has.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Time Travel should play a role in an apocalyptic setting. I know I've been talking about it quite a bit recently, but Fire Emblem: Awakening does time travel justice as far as a video game is concerned. Rewriting the events of history because an informant from the future knows of a dark version...yeah, that's exactly what I'd like to see. Oh, and less One Man Army! It makes time travel - the concept of it eanyway - much more unrealistic when one person is doing all the work!

its hard to say. If Nintendo does do more time travel they have to be careful and do it right, time travel in zelda games ( or anny games)can lead to confusion if not done right. for me the time travel in OOT was good but I do agree the " time travel" was rarely used in the main game and i do question some of the aspects of the story. In SS we was introduced with the timeshift stones that can come into play in future games that can add to the gameplay along with the Ocarina of time like Ventus sead i think it would be a fun game if Hyrule was in an apocalyptic state and link had to travel back in time to fix it, kinda like a reverse OOT. The Legend of Zelda: a link to the Future!!....only time can tell.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Time travel is the enemy of continuity because it makes it so hard to keep track of. If you do it right, people often say "wow, that was really good how they implemented time travel." Nintendo is already pretty rupoor at keeping track of their own continuity. Using time travel as mechanics in temples is fine, but when they start messing with the plot, they just keep digging deeper holes. I'm all for time travel playing a bigger role, as long as Nintendo can remember not to forget.

Oh God, no. We've had enough time travel for a while, I think. More often than not, I feel like time travel is a cop out to either do dramatic things without dealing with the consequences (i.e., "wait, this whole thing never even happened!") or to cover up for not actually having a very good story to tell. (i.e., "Time travel will make everything cooler!")

I do think the Zelda series has handled time travel well for the most part... especially in Skyward Sword where it added some an interesting element to the story, but also in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask where it served the story well. I think it's convenient to have an option like in the past where you could play a song and make it night or day, but I hope they would avoid making time travel a large part of a story just for the sake of time travel...

Where nintendo are concerned theyre only gonna be using time travel if it does something with the gameplay, that is how they operate and they've done enough with MM, OoT, Ages and SS, i don't doubt that they could make another interesting way to implement time travel into the next instalment but i dont think theyre gonna try very hard to do so, rather they'll only do it if they need to. Nothing plays a role in Zelda as much as you'd think its all down to gameplay specs first and whatever fits with what theyre trying is included,

personally i dont care if it is used more or not, im a little sick of it but if they show is a clever way of doing it then that is fine.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think the theme of time has already been utilised a lot so far we even seen it in the most recent installment...Skyward Sword. With the element of time travel it certainly can complicate things, I mean the reason why we have the adult and the child timeline is initially because of the use of time travel in Ocarina of Time.

I think if we are gonna see time travel again then I would hope that it isn't a major event, this doesn't necessarily mean it won't play a major role. If we look at Majoras Mask, this game utilised the use of time travel on a smaller scale to great effect. The ability to be able to manipulate time yourself and having to strategically plan out on how you will use more time added a nice element to the game.

So overall I wouldn't mind if we seen it or not but if it does play a major role I would rather they take the root of Majoras Mask rather than a major shift in games like Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom