• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Should Link Have a Background?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I always found that having a backstory makes the game more immersive. For example, in The Wind Waker Link had a grandmother and a little sister. I like it better when Link has more of a personality and more story to him. I can get more involved that way. It's much more immersive than when Link is a blank slate. Quite frankly, I find Link being a blank slate to be extremely boring and very un-immersive. I'd much rather play as a character who has his own purpose that I can immerse myself in than one without much of a purpose.

I wouldn't want that, giving Link a background would ruin his entire purpose which is to be the connection between the game world and our world. They should do the opposite, remove as much backstory as possible and just make him a silent warrior whom we for gods sakes should be able to customize at the start of the game. Feels as if Nintendo both wants Link to serve as a connection and be his own character at the same time, which doesn't really work IMO. Even if they do decide to give him a background I won't be sad I'd just like for it to be well written and make sense with the plot obviously.

So either a completely empty shell which we can customize to fit us, or a story rich well written character.

This, basically. You're right, Link is meant to represent us throughout the game. I don't have a little sister named Aryll, or a best friend named Zelda, or an uncle who used to be a Hylian knight. Therefore, the connection between me and Link is cheapened because he clearly has what I don't. Link should be either a complete character with background, established relationships, personal ambitions, and dialogue, or he should be absolutely nobody. The former approach makes him a full character. It makes him interesting on his own, someone we can get to know and respect. As absolutely nobody, we can fill in his shoes so easily with what we prefer. How did we wind up in Hyrule? We stumbled down a rabbit hole or something. But now we look like Link, and we're in a video game.

Currently, Link is hanging in the middle, but this is not a "best of both worlds" scenario. Link is neither a very interesting character nor a blank slate we can start on. This doesn't necessarily make him bad, but if Nintendo wants to improve their storytelling, they need to embrace one or the other. You can still develop your own ambitions and relationships as the story goes on. You can meet new people and witness remarkable events that affect you personally. You don't need an avatar with his own predetermined relationships and ambitions to do it.

Character customization is something that wouldn't be bad for The Legend of Zelda to try. Link's almost always limited to his green tunic, but what if you could outfit him with a huge variety of clothing and hairstyles to suit your tastes? Perhaps his green tunic could bear some special attribute that makes it preferable in certain situations, but I don't think it's really necessary. Developing your own character from scratch may be better suited to a spinoff, something that doesn't really affect the mainstream series. That way, Nintendo doesn't have to trouble itself with how that story alters the franchise. Still, aesthetic customization would be an interesting idea for the series to try.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
I actually would like Nintendo to just give Link his own personality all ready. One of the reasons I liked SS so much was because of how much Link felt like his own character. So yes I would like Link to have a background.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I think he's perfect the way he is. We get a little bit of back story, we know just enough about him to know his ambitions and purpose, we know who his friends are from the beginning, we see who's friendship he gains as he progresses through the game.

I think giving him any more would ruin it for me. I'm not playing Zelda to hear about Link's life story. I'm playing to have an adventure.

I'm also alright with him having less back story, but if they do that, it'd better make sense. I don't want to have a Link that starts off with no story, and then he suddenly develops into a character later in the game- unless his character is built the way I decide to build him. I don't want to start off with a blank slate that turns into someone the game decides he needs to be.

Actually, I think it would be really cool to have a Zelda game starting with a blank slate Link, and has alternative paths to beating it, depending on what you do and what decisions you make.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Honestly, a bit of a backstory is okay with me. Establishing some relationships with friends and family members and some kind of indication of where Link came from wouldn't bother me in the least, in fact I'd think it'd be pretty cool. A small backstory would be fine, as long as it doesn't go too far to the point where it's boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom