• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Should a Modern Day Un-traditional Game, Like MM, Be Made?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
December, 1998, one month after the release of Ocarina of Time. The game is a huge success, before hype for the game ends Nintendo plans to release it in its un-edited format to promote a new console which is a updated version of the Nintendo 64. Meanwhile, a development team is experimenting with N64 gamepaks, they had only recently discovered with OoT the potential gamepaks had, so they are using similiar graphics to OoT and making a game with un-traditional elements. When the year 1999 arrives the console is released, but it fails to catch on, Nintendo was planning for that console to be their next gen console into the new decade. They are forced to create something different, in order to buy time they must somehow keep the N64 appealing, they need a new game for it. The only project they can work with is that project a small group of people had been working on. They quickly develop the game to be consumer ready, and thus Majora's Mask was born. Released in October of 2000 the game quickly became popular amoungst fans of the Zelda series, the un-traditional format which the game was based around worked. MM had a deep, unique plot that felt refreashing, there was lots of sidequests to do which is somethings fans really like, and the game changed the way villians in the series could be potrayed.

14 years later, Majora's Mask has only grown in popularity. For one, the generation of kids, like myself, who grew up playing have only grown to respect it more, plus the game has connected with new generations, and it leads me to wonder how can a game that old still have so much appeal? Then it hit me, the game is unlike most games in the series, because its un-traditional it has a lot of appeal. Then I started to wonder, in the future should another game like Majora's Mask eventually be released? This is my question for all of you, should another game like Majora's Mask eventually be made? Please share your thoughts.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I tend to really like some the more "unconventional" games, so yes. I love it when Nintendo breaks from the formula. I like to see experimentation. I want to see new stuff. It's really enjoyable for me to see what they can do when they don't stick to the traditional Zelda formula as much. It seems like Zelda U will be one such game. I'm really excited to see what it's all about. I'm hoping it will be "unconventional", too.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I hope so. Like Azure, I like when Zelda games are unique. Sure, the normal Zelda format is fine and dandy and I'll play it anyway, but if it breaks the mold and stands out, I like it even more.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
I don't know why the game is so appealing to me. The Zelda series always have a game that is kinda under-appreciated at one point, but is loved by the fans the other. Maybe the same will happen with TP in 6-7 years, I don't know. Me personally, I like MM the most because of personal reasons, not because it's suddenly 'cool' to like Majora's Mask because all the 'normal' gamers disliked the game and thought it wasn't such a good Zelda.

I wouldn't per se say Majora's Mask is different from other Zelda's, at least not in the traditional way. The game has everything a Zelda game should have. Exploration, a story about a boy who helps the world out of selfless reasons, dungeons, puzzles, swordfighting, etc. etc. The game has a different style, but all Zelda's have that. OoT, MM, WW, TP, SS, they all look different in a way. In fact, I think OoT and MM even look a like the most from the 3D games. So, it's not the looks or style that makes the game different.

In my opinion the thing that makes MM so unique is the themes. None of the Zelda games I've played are like MM. There is no game with such emotional depth like Majora's Mask. The constant treat of a horrible death with the Moon above your head is like watching a timer on a bomb, ticking and ticking, waiting to explode. You can't escape it and you feel helpless. No matter what you do, the clock keeps on ticking. This feeling that the game gave you was a videogame milestone to me. It was almost scary to play the game.

You also see this level of emotional depth in the main quest and in the side quests. Think about Darmani and Mikau dieing trying to save someone(s) they love? But what about the Postman or Romani and Cremia? Or maybe the best sidequest ever in a game, the Kafei and Anju quest? All of these characters really change in the 3 days and show actual emotions while the inevitable is coming closer with every second. This is why I loved the game.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I don't know why the game is so appealing to me. The Zelda series always have a game that is kinda under-appreciated at one point, but is loved by the fans the other. Maybe the same will happen with TP in 6-7 years, I don't know. Me personally, I like MM the most because of personal reasons, not because it's suddenly 'cool' to like Majora's Mask because all the 'normal' gamers disliked the game and thought it wasn't such a good Zelda.

I wouldn't per se say Majora's Mask is different from other Zelda's, at least not in the traditional way. The game has everything a Zelda game should have. Exploration, a story about a boy who helps the world out of selfless reasons, dungeons, puzzles, swordfighting, etc. etc. The game has a different style, but all Zelda's have that. OoT, MM, WW, TP, SS, they all look different in a way. In fact, I think OoT and MM even look a like the most from the 3D games. So, it's not the looks or style that makes the game different.

In my opinion the thing that makes MM so unique is the themes. None of the Zelda games I've played are like MM. There is no game with such emotional depth like Majora's Mask. The constant treat of a horrible death with the Moon above your head is like watching a timer on a bomb, ticking and ticking, waiting to explode. You can't escape it and you feel helpless. No matter what you do, the clock keeps on ticking. This feeling that the game gave you was a videogame milestone to me. It was almost scary to play the game.

You also see this level of emotional depth in the main quest and in the side quests. Think about Darmani and Mikau dieing trying to save someone(s) they love? But what about the Postman or Romani and Cremia? Or maybe the best sidequest ever in a game, the Kafei and Anju quest? All of these characters really change in the 3 days and show actual emotions while the inevitable is coming closer with every second. This is why I loved the game.

Well true, not everything about MM was un-traditional, but it wasn't fully traditional. In terms of graphics you are right, its not much different from OoT, maybe just a tad darker when it comes to color scheme, but this isn't why the game has a lot of appeal still, its because of the memorable characters and sidequests. MM was the first game I played were involvement with mutiple characters played a big role in the game, it was also the first game I played were there were many sidequests, more than in previous games. I still stand behind my claim that Majora's Mask, the actual mask in the game, changed the way villians could be potrayed, prior to the game MM I had never seen a villian potrayed as a sort of parasite that uses host bodies to gain power to eventually no longer need a host.

I personally believe the emotional depth isn't really that great. What it had was just a little more character development than OoT. and i say a little more, because the cast was more condensed in MM. But what MM had more was really just more character interaction. Still...with three days to change routines i think only MM can have it. but either way....like many have said MM isn't that different.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
I still stand behind my claim that Majora's Mask, the actual mask in the game, changed the way villians could be potrayed, prior to the game MM I had never seen a villian potrayed as a sort of parasite that uses host bodies to gain power to eventually no longer need a host.

Agreed. Majora wasn't looking for power, just for destruction. Ganon wanted to rule, Majora wanted to see the world burn. Kinda like the Joker in Batman The Dark Knight. The Skull Kid was the vessel that Majora used, as he was fueled by his anger for the world since he always has been rejected and never had friends. It is one of the most interesting villians I have seen in my live, I totally agree.

I do think Nintendo has not been as willing to take risks with the narrative of recent Zelda games as well as the gameplay outside of controls. Majora's Mask had not only a unique narrative tone, but a gameplay element - the three day cycle- that aided in capturing Termina's dire situation. I wouldn't mind seeing another game that deviates from the plot twist after three dungeons story convention with a gameplay element to support it.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I do think Nintendo has not been as willing to take risks with the narrative of recent Zelda games as well as the gameplay outside of controls. Majora's Mask had not only a unique narrative tone, but a gameplay element - the three day cycle- that aided in capturing Termina's dire situation. I wouldn't mind seeing another game that deviates from the plot twist after three dungeons story convention with a gameplay element to support it.

Yeah, in a lot of ways the 3 day cycle alone made MM unique.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Majoras Mask is a sidegame. What i want to see are more side games. There is always a big game which takes ages to come out, but it would be good if they brought out direct sequels to those games rather than just doing a completely new game every time. Reusing what worked about the main game and putting it into a different story and setting would take loads less time than a completely new game with new artstyle and completely changed game mechanics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom