• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Sailcloth Given to Link by Zelda, What's the Reasoning?

After all the speculation surrounding the sailcloth Link uses to safely land in the world below, we've finally been given an answer, sort of. Zelda does indeed hand over to link the Sailcloth! http://zeldadungeon.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=613&pid=16669#top_display_media Anyways, this pokes a new thought into my head. What is the original purpose of the sailcloth? I doubt Zelda gives it to Link with the actual intention of saying "Hey Link, you're gonna need this when I get kidnapped and you need to jump beneath the clouds". Why could Zelda be giving this to Link? I had a little theory that perhaps this is the reward for winning the Bird Riding Competition? I wanna hear your thoughts and ideas on this topic!

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
It looks like his is bending over, with a hand across his chest. This means that it's probably for ceremonial purposes. So it's very likely that it was a reward for the competition.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
That's probably a reward or token of some sort for being a courageous victor during the bird-chase ceremony.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
If you notice, he's kneeling before her. So... I think the scene we saw in the trailer with him kneeling before her was this scene, where she gives him the sailcloth because he won the Flight Competition. I assume this is when they're on their date, after the Wing Ceremony.

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
Well, Link needs the sailcloth when he jumps off of his bird, right? Maybe, because he won, he's being rewarded with it so that he can explore other areas away from Skyloft? Maybe he's not the only one to have one (just the only one we care about lol).

The winner of the annual birdrider ceremony will need a sailcloth to dismount their loftwing so it makes sense that the prize is a sailcloth. Since Zelda is the headmaster's daughter, it would make sense for him to trust the task of making a sailcloth for each winner to her.

Beeker

Wild Card
I wonder if it can be used outside of landing in the world below/on floating islands ?
Yes, you can. The only other use I've seen of the sailcloth,outside of landing, is on random spots of air. You float up on them with it. I know in one of the boss battles(that giant black thingy) you use it to get some higher ground, then jump on him. So it does have other uses.

But to the question at hand, it seems to make sense now that Zelda's cloth is going to be given as a prize for the bird riding competition. After all, having a parachute of some kind would be necessary for a birdrider if they are to travel around safely.

Yes, you can. The only other use I've seen of the sailcloth,outside of landing, is on random spots of air. You float up on them with it. I know in one of the boss battles(that giant black thingy) you use it to get some higher ground, then jump on him. So it does have other uses.
Yes, I remember seeing that now, thanks for the reminder lol I love when items have more than one use, and it looks like this game is gonna have a lot of that.

T

TriforceReviews

maybe it will be given as a friendship thing or possibly as a reward for graduating as a knight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom