• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Running on a Week

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Comments towards Majora's Mask's 3 Day System got me athinkin...what if ZeldaU ran on a week's cycle? Daily events that occur Day 1 - Day 5 and Day 6/7 have special events linked to certain times?

How would you feel towards such a proposal?

Keeseman

Smash is Life
Sounds complicated, but Ninty might be able to pull it off. I don't see the exact point, unless it had a plot purpose like in MM. I wouldn't be opposed to it, I just don't see the point unless it was a bigger part of the plot.

For example, you have 5 days to do something, like maybe a trading sequence, then on Saturday you can get the final item? Something like that, maybe? Or would it be some bigger part of the plot?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
No. MM already has a problem with waiting for events to happen. The more compacted the better. We don't need to spread it to a week and increase the waiting.

Salem

SICK
It should be based on a week, but it shouldn't involve the main quest. only side quests and whatnot.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Well...

That would kind of copy directly from Majora's Mask, albeit extending the time limit.

I'm against it, personally. I think ZU should have all new elements, not something that we've seen before, no matter how awesome it may be.

I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but I also don't see a blatant purpose so far besides padding the game (a major complaint in Zelda these days). Awesome as Majora's Mask was, I actually hold the limits of its three-day cycle as a negative point. Want to play at the shooting gallery for kicks? Too bad - third day, it's closed. Gotta go back in time and lose your supplies if you want to go there. This was mildly annoying in a three-day form, so seven would probably be pushing it.

Even if you could quick-travel to the time you wanted, I still don't see how it would aid the game much. Perhaps it could lend a sense of realism when, say, one shop is closed on weekends, forcing you to improvise for the time being. This is mostly reliant on the game mechanics being better-developed themselves, though. Actually, now that the creative juices are flowing, a weekly cycle could offer some benefits. What if an unspeakably powerful and horrific creature wandered the town at night during one day of the week, but you could only complete certain sidequests or gain specific items in that place during that period? Things like this could, in addition to providing realism, promote strategy and risk vs. reward. Do you want to brave the dangers of the mountain on this day, or wait until the danger shifts into something you're more comfortable with? Monday makes you rely on stealth, but Tuesday pushes you to work quickly since an unstoppable monster chases you around that area.

Actually, this is a pretty good idea. We should continue this topic.

ZeldaWiiU deserves better. I'm not saying it's not good, it's just that it was awesome for MM, a N64 title. I can't imagine a game with this much potential running on a week D:

ILU

i luv u
Whenever I reply to a thread, I feel like I have the opposite, less popular opinion compared to everyone else. :/

That said, YES to a week system. In fact, YES to a calendar system. I'm sure this has been done successfully before.... oh wait, IT HAS! Elder Scrolls, everyone. Play them. If you like Zelda, then you can probably appreciate them.

Anyway, date-specific events are great, because they open up so many possibilities. In one playthrough, you may choose to do one event but end up missing out on the next. And said events lead to other time/date-sensitive events. Even better, it demands a day/night cycle, which is a current thread right now. This opens up room for sidequests and slightly-varied plot sequences. It allows for more choices and better reasons for more playthroughs other than playing through the same thing just on a different difficulty.

Plus, a calendar cycle almost requires that NPCs be active, which has been sorely missed since Majora's Mask. The best part is that you can still have a semi-linear playstyle which is great for story because you need a little bit of linearity for that, but you also get more in the way of non-linear exploration and side-story.

I don't think it'll happen, but IMO it NEEDS to happen.

DarkLink17

Well then
As stated by others, this proposal is very unlikely to actual occur, but I like the idea of such a system. To fix the problem of waiting, the song o' time can take you however far into the future you want to, whether it be 1 day or 5 days.

It would add so much more opportunities for things like side quests, easter eggs, more complex puzzles, etc. Another idea is to be able to choose from multiple paths, or choices, that all lead to different stories or endings (just like the INFAMOUS games if anyone played those).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom