• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Romance in Zelda U

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
In OOT Link seemed to have a harem of girls chasing after his affections. In SS you can actually do a little romance sidequest and declare your feelings for Peatrice.
Would you like romance to be a thing in Zelda U? Would you like it to be scripted, that Link gets with a certain character/s or would you like the game to give you romance opportunities that you can choose to persue?
How much freedom should the game give you, would Link be only attracted to human females or could it be he gets with a big Goron bruddah in the end?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Have Link and Zelda be true love, but bring back the harem.
Girls should be absolutely fawning over Link, but Link only speaks with his actions.
I definitely want the Broron giant hug to come back too. It was extremely funny and cute. I think it's time for Link to become an honorary member of the Goron Tribe.
Regarding other types of relationships, I hope we can see more of a connection between Epona and Link, similar to the Loftwing and Link in SS, and I would love it if they handled it like Agro in SotC.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Have Link and Zelda be true love, but bring back the harem.
Girls should be absolutely fawning over Link, but Link only speaks with his actions.
I definitely want the Broron giant hug to come back too. It was extremely funny and cute. I think it's time for Link to become an honorary member of the Goron Tribe.
Regarding other types of relationships, I hope we can see more of a connection between Epona and Link, similar to the Loftwing and Link in SS, and I would love it if they handled it like Agro in SotC.

I hope what you mean by the Epona and link relationship is not like the Welsh and their sheep.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I hope what you mean by the Epona and link relationship is not like the Welsh and their sheep.
No, no. That's not what I am saying at all.
OoT and MM did Epona pretty great, as they made their own background throughout the games. It was also very clear that Link cared about Epona very much, even throughout the technical limitations of the N64
TP is where things go awry. There is very little backstory, and fricken Illia cared more about her than Link did. It doesn't seem like Link cares about Epona... It's almost like they shoehorned her into Twilight Princess, and yet it feels do cheap.... Epona feels more like a tool than a living being, and just like a gameplay mechanic.
I want that to change with Zelda Wii U so it makes me care for Epona(again not in a sexual way).

I dont want romance in Zelda U mainly because the Zelda team suck at writing it. Link is an avatar... an avatar with a name and games named after him, who uses his emotions despite how the player is actually feeling about the situation. If romance is going to be put into Zelda U then they need to push Link into the 'character' status from the 'avatar' status and make a better story of it than the half-bothered job they usually do.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I think it is only natural that the girls are going to be after Link and I don't mind a bit of romance personally. I fell like if Link is in a relationship with Zelda then his quest to save her from whatever evil seems more genuine and emotional. On the other hand, I also wouldn't mind if there were a range of options available for love interests all over the vast world. I imagine with enough options it would become difficult to implement them into the story though.

Honestly I think we're talking about two different types of romance here. You have the developed, emotional romances, the likes of which you see in TP with Midna and SS with Zelda. Then you have the flirtatious relationships, such as pretty much every single one in OoT, or Peatrice in SS.

TP was a very emotional game, as was SS (the latter dealing heavily with themes of maturity and adolescence). Both games saw a teenage Link coming into his own, and romance were a very delicate and powerful method by which this theme was conveyed.
I don't think Zelda U will really focus on these themes, so I'd rather not have a flat romance shoe horned for the sake of continuing a trend.

Keep Link a flirt, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
This is just a reminder to try and keep it clean guys, this isn't really the place for descriptive sexual references (which I have removed). We will let this one slide but please keep it clean in future to avoid possible warnings and/or infractions. Thanks.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I never really understand why Nintendo approaches romance in such a cliché way. They act as if kissing is really bad or something. I mean gosh if kids can handle watching cartoon characters in disney movies kissing I'm sure they can handle it in a videogame also. Kissing isn't something bad anyway, I guess it's just people at Nintendo who think so. I'm not saying Link should be kissing, but I think seeing some NPCs kissing is something which isn't bad.

I dont want romance in Zelda U mainly because the Zelda team suck at writing it. Link is an avatar... an avatar with a name and games named after him, who uses his emotions despite how the player is actually feeling about the situation. If romance is going to be put into Zelda U then they need to push Link into the 'character' status from the 'avatar' status and make a better story of it than the half-bothered job they usually do.

Until they make Link a female tech support worker in a call center, Link will never be an avatar to me. (And I seriously hope that never happens.) Frankly, I identify more with Agitha than Link...

Link is not an avatar. Rather, he's a character enforced onto the player. The player is like an actor doing improv, or a person playing a tabletop RPG, in which the DM has set a pre-made character. You take on the role of Link, but he is not you. The only way they'd ever change this is to get rid of Link entirely, and replace him with a character creator, and really, I don't play LoZ to play Skyrim. Exploring the character of Link (and who he is in a given game) is almost as much fun as exploring the land. If I want to play myself in a video game, I have many MANY options to do that, some of which are made by Nintendo.

The Zelda games constantly leave reminders about how you're supposed to feel about situations, who your friends and enemies are, and why. Link is given a background story, he has personal effects in his house that tell stories of their own, and I argue that in TP he had a steady girlfriend the whole way through. You take the events of the story to discover what kind of guy Link is.

I think Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were the best examples of how Romance can and should be in Legend of Zelda. In response to another post here though, I do *not* however, ship Link and Midna. Warning, this is going to be long.

I see TP as being one of those "friendship trumps romance" things. My analogy is this: I see Midna as Hermione and Ilia as Ginny. Midna is a platonic friend, in all the best ways. The actual object of romance is not in the foreground of the story, and doesn't have to be. Otherwise she'd be a distraction rather than a boon.

Yes, scenes between Link and Midna are emotional, but most of the emotion is coming from Midna, and usually she's worrying about her country or people. The only exceptions are when Midna turns out to be not-dead, and later, when she leaves forever. I don't see that as romantic. I see it as a person being shocked that a friend would up and leave with barely a word. Midna = Navi = Fi.

Midna is the person who gives advice to the hero and keeps him in line. She has her own motives for being out on the hero's adventure, but those motives make her very reliable. And none of those motives involve snagging a lover. This makes me absolutely adore her character. It's nice to have a princess who isn't this courtly-love object on a pedestal. (Even if she's 2 feet tall for most of the story...)

On the other hand, scenes between Link and Ilia get big reactions out of Link every time. He's whipped and loving every moment of it. He flips out when he realizes she's been captured, to the point of panicking and running headfirst into the twilight unarmed. He looks utterly heartbroken when Ilia doesn't recognize him (and he helps her with saving the Zora kid anyway). On top of that, Ilia had her own big off-screen adventure, helping others depite her own personal issues. This shows an independent streak, and it shows she's a good match for the Hero.

The only other game to play out romance like this is Skyward Sword. And keep in mind, Link and Zelda are separated for the vast majority of the game. They do not adventure together, but when they do meet up, the scenes are very obvious about what the two mean to each other. But it doesn't end there for TP.

You get to the part where Ilia's memory is restored, and everybody moves to give them "privacy", kids are pulling each other off camera while Talo peeks in, grinning about whatever he is witnessing. When you get the camera back on Link and Ilia, they are closer together. When this type of scene happens in movies and TV, this is a heavily implied kiss. The kids are not dragging each other off screen so the two can play pattycake. (Unless we're talking Roger Rabbit standards here...)

I'm sorry, but that's as obvious as it gets. The shared-memory of the fountain only seals it. (I remember Hitchcock liking the shared-memory thing for romantic scenes.) In fact, TP Link/Ilia is probably the strongest ever Link romance. Skyward Sword is a close second. The object of romance doesn't have to be a damsel in a tower. She can be her own woman, off on her own adventures, doing her own thing. And honestly, that's probably the kind of woman the Hero needs, in order to give him an anchor of sorts while he's off saving the world. Somebody who understands who he is and what he needs, but will still wait for him, when he is ready.

I think the Zelda series would greatly benefit from at least one super romantic Zelda game. Really the series has a pretty weak story (to me), but a successful romance would be great!

Reactions: Dio
I think the Zelda series would greatly benefit from at least one super romantic Zelda game. Really the series has a pretty weak story (to me), but a successful romance would be great!

Oh, I know I'd like at least *one*, but I don't dislike what they've done so far either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom