• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Redeads and who created them

By itself the lakeside scientist's line might only refer to the spooky mask. But when you talk to Dampe, he makes it all but guaranteed that the spooky mask is a ReDead mask. He asks something along the lines of "Do you know what kind of mask that is? And you're still wearing it?"
Would you want to keep wearing a mask that had been made from an old coffin? Whether or not it had once been worn by a ReDead is irrelevant to Dampe's line... either way it's creepy and not something you'd really want on your face.

I am pretty sure the reason that the OOT ReDead wear masks and the WW ReDead do not, is because OOT ReDead are blind, and WW ReDead can see.
That logic makes no sense whatsoever... why wear a mask with eye holes in it if you are blind? Blind people typically wear dark glasses to conceal their eyes... what you're suggesting it the opposite. The only logical explanation would be to make it look as if they had eyes when they do not.

Why not have them be in clay form and appear out of nowhere like in TFH?
That appears to be purely down to the soft clay form of the TFH ReDead allowing them to move in and out of the ground... whereas the WW ReDead were likely fired by their creators in order to harden the clay and preserve their crafted forms, preventing them from being able to do this.

I feel like the choice of coffin has more meaning than just something random used for storage, especially since ReDead can be found in actual graveyards in OOT.
I gave three examples of possible explanations for the coffins... why focus on what was clearly the least interesting of the three? If you want a more grave-themed explanation, just go with the second one.

Would you want to keep wearing a mask that had been made from an old coffin? Whether or not it had once been worn by a ReDead is irrelevant to Dampe's line... either way it's creepy and not something you'd really want on your face.

But how would Dampe know it was made of coffin wood if the only other person to have the knowledge that it was from a coffin was a scientist? I don't want to make any rude presumptions, but Dampe doesn't exactly seem like a man of science. I don't know, maybe we will just have to agree to disagree on this point, but it seems very obvious to me that his line is referring to the fact that the mask is the same as the ReDead that his graveyard is teeming with.

That logic makes no sense whatsoever... why wear a mask with eye holes in it if you are blind? Blind people typically wear dark glasses to conceal their eyes... what you're suggesting it the opposite. The only logical explanation would be to make it look as if they had eyes when they do not.

Yeah fair enough, I'll concede that to you, but I do find it kind of interesting that the only ReDead that doesn't have a mask is also the only ReDead confirmed to have vision.

That appears to be purely down to the soft clay form of the TFH ReDead allowing them to move in and out of the ground... whereas the WW ReDead were likely fired by their creators in order to harden the clay and preserve their crafted forms, preventing them from being able to do this.

Fair point, but if ReDead were made of clay, why are they weak to fire based attacks? Wouldn't that just further harden them, or cause them to explode? Instead, it just causes them to die a lot quicker.

I gave three examples of possible explanations for the coffins... why focus on what was clearly the least interesting of the three? If you want a more grave-themed explanation, just go with the second one.

I picked that one because it seemed the most practical, the idea that they are there to replace lost bodies doesn't seem to have any in-game or in-universe evidence.

Another piece of evidence I forgot about until now is another part of the Nintendo Power players guide. At one point it talks about an encounter with a ReDead, and says the following:

"Link was confronted by the decomposing denizen, but his sword quickly sliced through it's gummy flesh."

I understand decomposing denizen could just be wordplay, but the fact remains that the words "decomposing" and "flesh" are used in a single sentence. You can maybe make the claim that the guide book isn't a good enough source, but I'd make the exact same arguments against the Smash Bros trophies, which are the only in-universe things making the claim about clay.

But how would Dampe know it was made of coffin wood if the only other person to have the knowledge that it was from a coffin was a scientist? I don't want to make any rude presumptions, but Dampe doesn't exactly seem like a man of science. I don't know, maybe we will just have to agree to disagree on this point, but it seems very obvious to me that his line is referring to the fact that the mask is the same as the ReDead that his graveyard is teeming with.
I think you may have misinterpreted what I said... I never actually said that I didn't think ReDead masks weren't made of coffin wood (I actually think that makes sense), I was just pointing out that the lines of the two characters do not actually tell us that... certain assumptions need to be made in order to reach that conclusion.
With the scientist, we have to assume that the Spooky Mask is a ReDead mask... it could just as easily be a replica (we also have to overlook how he would know where the wood had come from just by looking at it).
With Dampe, we first have to assume that he would be able to tell the difference between a ReDead mask and a replica (he may have just jumped to conclusions)... and we then have to assume that he was actually referring to it being a ReDead mask rather than the fact that it was made of coffin wood (what he says would make sense either way, and he is more likely than most to recognise coffin wood).

Another piece of evidence I forgot about until now is another part of the Nintendo Power players guide. At one point it talks about an encounter with a ReDead, and says the following:

"Link was confronted by the decomposing denizen, but his sword quickly sliced through it's gummy flesh."

I understand decomposing denizen could just be wordplay, but the fact remains that the words "decomposing" and "flesh" are used in a single sentence. You can maybe make the claim that the guide book isn't a good enough source, but I'd make the exact same arguments against the Smash Bros trophies, which are the only in-universe things making the claim about clay.
Decomposing is a very vague term... pretty much anything can decompose in some way, even clay.
Flesh simply refers to the soft tissue of a body... but that tissue can be made of anything... in the case of a body made of clay, the soft tissue would also be made of clay.
You've also overlooked the use of the term "gummy"... this refers to a substance that is like gum... gooey and sticky... which I'm pretty sure human tissue is not... wet clay on the other hand can be described this way.

Decomposing is a very vague term... pretty much anything can decompose in some way, even clay.
Flesh simply refers to the soft tissue of a body... but that tissue can be made of anything... in the case of a body made of clay, the soft tissue would also be made of clay.
You've also overlooked the use of the term "gummy"... this refers to a substance that is like gum... gooey and sticky... which I'm pretty sure human tissue is not... wet clay on the other hand can be described this way.

Wet clay can be described that way, but I don't think the ReDead are going to be walking around as wet clay, especially if they were hardened in some sort of fire, like most clay is. They would have dried at some point and its been a long while since I've handled clay, but I remember it feeling chalky when dried.

If I was to run my hand down my arm, I definitely would not describe my flesh as gooey and sticky, you are correct about that. However, I think rotted, necrotic flesh could absolutely be described as gooey and sticky.

I think Re-dead are not made of clay. Simply put i think Nintendo changed the lore after OoT to be more family/kid friendly. When you learn the song in the tomb it clearly mentions undead. with re-dead being in the room. this is the simplest and best explantion.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I think Re-dead are not made of clay. Simply put i think Nintendo changed the lore after OoT to be more family/kid friendly. When you learn the song in the tomb it clearly mentions undead. with re-dead being in the room. this is the simplest and best explantion.

Agreed, this is the company who changed the blood from ganon to green when you stabbed him in the nose and the company who changed the fire temple music because it was a prayer from i think hindu or muslim religions.

WW ReDeads are emphatically corpses as you can see the bone structure under the skin.

In which game did they change Ganon's blood color? And change the fire temple music? was it OoT for the 3ds maybe?

In which game did they change Ganon's blood color? And change the fire temple music? was it OoT for the 3ds maybe?

The fire temple music was the N64 release of OOT, along with some texture changes to avoid what they thought could be confused for religious images. I believe there were three versions of the carts.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I was playing Smash 4 today, and went to buy some trophies. I was glad to see that not only the Cuccoo was one of the trophies available, but also the Redead trophy (I like getting LoZ trophies the most).

What it says for the bio of the Redead, is shocking (at least to me):
Redeads are not Human, but instead clay figures.

That makes things a lot weirder, especially for Ocarina of Time, when so clearly the people of Castle Town turned into redeads, and even the Royal Family of Hyrule is redead.

Any thoughts on how this could affect the timeline, if at all, and any theories on how the redeads got there?
I'm not sure if it's been menetioned already, but I recall the Redead trophy in Melee claiming that Redeads are simply animated magic taking humanoidlike shapes, which I always interpreted as Ganondorf being the one who made them.

Last edited:
I don't consider Smash Bros, or any of the Smash games to be canon to the LoZ universe, even though the information comes straight from Nintendo. In Ocarina of Time, it's heavily implied that redeads are perished souls.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Smash bros is not the standard when It comes to determining the canon. however, we don't know the full extend of Ganondorf's power with the triforce of power in his possession. For all we know, he could have used his dark magic and the power of the Triforce. to turn the residents of castle town into clay zombies. who knows for sure? nothing is confirmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom