• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Recommends

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Although I tend to refer to myself as a gamer, truth be told Zelda is the only series I actually play, and I really need to broaden my horizons.
What are some of your favorite zelda-esque games/series that you would recommend for a newbie?
For example, I would like to try Metroid Prime because of its open but linear map and how it encourages you to explore.

(also I've never tried making a thread please someone tell me if I did this right!)

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
So, this sounds kinda like me. I'm looking to broaden my gaming horizons, and here's some of the games I have on my list:
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
Okami (This one has Zelda as a direct influence)
Undertale
Hollow Knight
There's a few others, but they're more sandboxy, or actual Zelda games.

(And you did a really good job on starting a thread.)

EDIT: These are all Switch games, I'm saving for a Switch. What consoles do you have?

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Dark Souls! High fantasy, metroidvania-esque worldbuilding, compelling characters and story, hits all the zelda notes
Miyazaki, the director, has said he was inspired by zelda's world and exploration, but the game itself is kind of a western game adaptation of the berserk anime
and you can even pick up remastered for the switch
nothing else I play is like zelda, I think

Someone recommended undertale so I have to keep the balance and decry it as the worst game I've ever played

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
this totally depends on what systems you have or if you're ok w/ emulation, though I guess if we're going by action adventure-y kind of stuff

okami (and heck in that same vein, how about viewtiful joe?)
the first two paper mario games
shadow of the colosseus
bioshock
spyro reignited trilogy
beyond good and evil
shantae and the pirates curse; half genie hero

genre differs in some of these but they all have a degree of exploring and fighting

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Not exactly Zelda-esque (and to be honest, it's not the easiest to play unless you're willing to emulate or play it on PS3), but Sly Cooper has some really fun gameplay. 3D adventure game with some stealth elements. Charming visuals and cast of characters.

Rune Factory is also like Zelda, top-down 2D Zelda in particular, but with a lot of extra gameplay elements like crafting and farming. The combat is what reminds me of Zelda the most, although it's less stiff than 2D Zelda. More free and fun, with multiple weapons you can use. Rune Factory 4 is the best entry point, tbh. Has the most QoL features and is on the Switch as well.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Geez louise, I need to start writing these down xD

EDIT: These are all Switch games, I'm saving for a Switch. What consoles do you have?
I have a Switch, a Wii, a 3DS, and a PS3 (but it doesn't work very well). I will definitely start looking into other consoles, because a lot of these games sound interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom