• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Recommendations for DS/Wii RPGs

I'm looking into getting some RPGs for my DS and Wii. After looking at several on gamestop's online store, I thought I should get some recommendations here. Please don't mention Xenoblade Chronicles or Fire Emblem as I already know of those games and I'm trying to get hold of them already. I also already own Phantasy Star 0.

Thanks.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
You've already got Xeno covered so you've got the right idea. ;)

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
The World Ends With You
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
honorable mention to Sands of Destruction

I cannot speak for these personally because I have not played them:
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (no reason to doubt this one's good)
and Radiant Historia (gets good marks, especially good for fans of chrono trigger's interactive plot/time travel aspects)

Decent Wii RPGs are few, however. Last Story was highly anticipated but received mixed reviews. Xeno is almost universally acclaimed. I can vouch for its sheer awesomeness!

If you can read japanese then try Tales of Graces and Tales of Symphonia(its a Gamecube game,but you can still play it on wii) and I heard that Tales of Symphonia had a sequel on Wii,but I never had the chance to play it so I don't know if its good.

If you want games from the Virtual Console:Final Fantasy 1,Final Fantasy 6,Final Fantasy IV the after years and Secret of Mana.I'm not sure if Final Fantasy IV is on Virtual Console,but if its there,check it out.

I just received Dragon Quest V in the mail today and so far it's quite fun, so I will have to recommend that.
Chrono Trigger DS
Pokemon B/W2
Final Fantasy III and IV DS remakes
Dragon Quest IX

Painmaster212

Spoony Bard
DS

Mario and Luigi: Partner's in Time
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Chrono Trigger
Pokemon Main Series (any of them really)
Final Fantasy IV
Dragonball Z: Attack of the Saiyans
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Izuna
Izuna 2
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
The World Ends With You
Summon Night: Twin Age
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Dragon Quest IX
Magical Starsign
Radiant Historia
Nostalgia
Blue Dragon
Naruto Path of the Ninja
Naruto Path of the Ninja 2

Wii

Pandora's Tower (comes out next month!)
The Last Story
Arc Rise Fantasia
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Dokapon Kingdom
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Monster Hunter Tri
Opoona
Super Paper Mario
Little King's Story
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

These are just some i have in my collection hope they help :D

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Stay away from Final Fantasy 3 if you want to live.

Chrono Trigger DS
Pokemon series
FF4
Radiant Historia
Golden Sun Dark Dawn
The World Ends with You
Dragon Ball Origins 2(has RPG like features)
Dragon ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans is an RPG, good if you're a DBZ fan like me
Final Fantasy 12: Revanant Wings
Blue Dragon: Awakening
Kingdom Hearts series

Those are what come to mind. There's teh Megaman Battle Network series are RPGs, so if you're a Megaman fan you could check those out.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Stay away from Final Fantasy 3 if you want to live.

Wait... wha? No! Four Heroes of Light, man. That game Ranks among my top three Worst Video Games Ever Played list. Avoid it like the plague!

IDK what makes FF3 so bad? I found it utterly uninteresting but Four Heroes is excruciatingly terrible!! Agonizingly bad. This pathetic excuse for a game (more like torture device) is rotten to the core. So be a friend and don't suffer it like I did. :sick:

So there's one on a list of DS RPGs to stay the hell away from!!!

In other news anything with the words "Dragon" and "Quest" in the same title is pretty much gold.

For fans of Lord of the Rings there's Aragorn's Quest for the Wii. It has a wonderful presentation and actually makes effective (and enjoyable) use of motion controls. It's whimsical and charming and true enough to the books and films while having enough of its own spin on Tolkien's tale in parts to feel new and interesting.

It is kinda difficult calling it an RPG though. You have companions at times but they're largely on autopilot. You can find items to increase Aragorn and his companion's attack and defense and you can fight with a sword, shield, bow, spear, and torch as Aragorn... even from horseback! It's real time action combat like in Zelda.

Last edited:
Anyone played Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers? I once saw a preview for it and thought it looked pretty cool. The concepts in it seemed fun too. Anyone know if it actually turned out to be a good game?

For fans of Lord of the Rings there's Aragorn's Quest for the Wii. It has a wonderful presentation and actually makes effective (and enjoyable) use of motion controls. It's whimsical and charming and true enough to the books and films while having enough of its own spin on Tolkien's tale in parts to feel new and interesting.

It is kinda difficult calling it an RPG though. You have companions at times but they're largely on autopilot. You can find items to increase Aragorn and his companion's attack and defense and you can fight with a sword, shield, bow, spear, and torch as Aragorn... even from horseback! It's real time action combat like in Zelda.

Aragorn's Quest looked interesting, but I've already seen the movies and read the books, so while the game might be fun I already know the basic story. Right now I'm wanting something with a story I don't yet know and also has good gameplay.

Last edited:

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
Both of these have already been said multiple times, but I'm gonna say 'em anyway because they're so good.

The World Ends With you for the DS, and The Last Story for the Wii.

The World Ends With You is definitely one of the best games on the DS. Last Story is very good in my :eek:nion:, but it's pretty linear and short, just as a warning.

Also, I know you told me not to, but I'm gonna say it anyway. Xenoblade Chronicles. :monado:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Aragorn's Quest looked interesting, but I've already seen the movies and read the books, so while the game might be fun I already know the basic story. Right now I'm wanting something with a story I don't yet know and also has good gameplay.

Well, it does play well... some aspects are a bit off, but it is certainly an attempt to create an honest product rather than just a cheap cash-in.

What's kinda neat is the story draws from the films but delves into details from the books as well. So, yeah, familiar if you've seen/read both, but of course for a video game the story is largely glazed over so you can, ya know... play.

But I'm only suggesting it as a consideration. There are far better titles on this list to choose from.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Wait... wha? No! Four Heroes of Light, man. That game Ranks among my top three Worst Video Games Ever Played list. Avoid it like the plague!

IDK what makes FF3 so bad? I found it utterly uninteresting but Four Heroes is excruciatingly terrible!! Agonizingly bad. This pathetic excuse for a game (more like torture device) is rotten to the core. So be a friend and don't suffer it like I did. :sick:

So there's one on a list of DS RPGs to stay the hell away from!!!

In other news anything with the words "Dragon" and "Quest" in the same title is pretty much gold.

I told him to stay away from 3 because its so freaking difficult. And because of this difficulty, it makes the game boring. 4 heroes of light wasn't that bad, using magic was a pain though.

Thanks for the lists. It'll take me a while to get even half of these, but at least I now know where to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom